Radar modes in 15 Aug patch

Speedywrx

Concerning today's patch (15 Aug): Whenever I select a weapon it seems to default the radar to "ACM" mode and I'm unable to change the range of the radar until I de-select ACM with the button or hit the undesignate button on the HOTAS.

Is this normal/intended?

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

ACM mode are a couple of radar modes that are meant for Air Combat Maneouvering. They are short range and lock automatically the first target that enters the search area. Most common are Boresight (narrow circle), HUD seek (large circle) and Vertical Scan (two vertical lines on HUD).

Hope this helps.

I usually can get back to search mode by punching my "unlock target" button.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

And what means that ACM mode? What it does?

Air Combat Maneuvering mode, meant for close in dogfights.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

guys, he did not ask what acm mode is, his question was, whether it is intended behaviour, that acm gets activcated on weapon selection.

It is a good question, as i also think it feels wierd, that acm is activated on selection. I want to press tms fwd if i want it, not have to deselect it every time after selecting a weapon..

guys, he did not ask what acm mode is, his question was, whether it is intended behaviour, that acm gets activcated on weapon selection.

It is a good question, as i also think it feels wierd, that acm is activated on selection. I want to press tms fwd if i want it, not have to deselect it every time after selecting a weapon..

Agreed. Also, what I found is that whenever I select the AIM 120 it is in VISUAL mode.

If no target has been locked prior to selecting the AIM-120, it will be in visual mode.

If a target has been locked, and then selecting the AIM-120, then it will be in normal mode.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Yeah, I noticed this as well...going to ACM rather than staying in RWS...Perhaps things will change when we get TWS (Track While Scan)...but I agree, doesn't make sense that you choose a medium range weapon and you immediately go to short range radar...I can see this for the heaters and it does in fact go to short range suite when you select Sidewinders, but...

Exactly. Deselecting needs a press on the OSB of the DDI... but I was under the impression that ACM could be left with Castle Switch right, second press would then activate AACQ. But that's not the case in DCS at the moment.

Also for configuring the radar settings, including range, per weapon we now have to deselect ACM. And as soon as the weapons are selected, they automatically switch into FLOOD or VISUAL mode in case of the Sparrows and AMRAAMs. Having watched Wags' video, I understand it like that you have to press cage/uncage first to get there. That however just works when being in STT.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Exactly. Deselecting needs a press on the OSB of the DDI... but I was under the impression that ACM could be left with Castle Switch right, second press would then activate AACQ. But that's not the case in DCS at the moment.

Also for configuring the radar settings, including range, per weapon we now have to deselect ACM. And as soon as the weapons are selected, they automatically switch into FLOOD or VISUAL mode in case of the Sparrows and AMRAAMs. Having watched Wags' video, I understand it like that you have to press cage/uncage first to get there. That however just works when being in STT.

You can deselect ACM by just pressing Undesignate/NWS. It makes sense having the missiles just in their visual/flood modes when you're not locked to me - also cage/uncage is used on the AIM-7M/MH to switch between loft mode and normal mode when locked.

I'm not sure of how the RL aircraft works but it makes sense that it would be the current way to me...

If I'm choosing a weapon with nothing locked... there's a good chance I'm very interested in SOMETHING being locked RIGHT NOW with the least number of button presses/switch activation's as possible. So going to ACM modes in this case makes perfect sense. If the target is unlocked and at a range where ACM modes are less/not useful then I have more time to press an extra button to get to a controlled search mode. If, however... I've got a target locked already and choose the weapon then of course it should just select the weapon.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I hope in Chuck's Guide explanation asap :-)

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

Would you mind, please, telling me what command is this one? I can't find it in DCS Hotas Controls.

Thanks

Edited by G-con

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

You can deselect ACM by just pressing Undesignate/NWS. It makes sense having the missiles just in their visual/flood modes when you're not locked to me - also cage/uncage is used on the AIM-7M/MH to switch between loft mode and normal mode when locked.

deactivating ACM with NWS button did not work for me, yesterday. This forced me to use osb buttons to leave acm mode, which quickly turned painful.

Will try this again later, tonight.

It might be called Sensor Select Switch Right.

ok then, so why "castle" I don't know :)

thank u

It's because the switch is shaped like a castle.

In the A-10 there is also the "boat switch" and the "china hat switch".

now I get it:doh:

Thank you very much

Think of the Castle to resemble the Rook piece in chess

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

DCS 2.5.2.20601 Update 9 - OpenBeta only

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64