brand spanking new to DCS. What to buy?

davevegas901

Got the new system working. Got VR working. I don't want to jump in and buy absolutely every product out there, what's a good start? Some products say steam incompatible, do I have two versions of DCS to worry about? Definitely want to get into anything Nellis and Nevada as I'm from Las Vegas and visit the base frequently. Thanks, guys!

Buy the *NOT* Steam version directly from DCS store. Many of the DLC missions don't support STEAM. And all the fun stuff in early access and beta are not supported in STEAM.

So my recommendation would be

1) NTTR map. DLC for Nevada Test and Training Range. It's paid DLC.

2) FA18. In early access so it's not feature complete but still awesome.

3) You'd almost have to buy Persian Gulf map DLC for the carriers. But it's not required.

4) Huey. If you like rotary, it's a BLAST.

5) A10C. Oldie but goodie.

If you're in to WWII planes P51D just got an upgraded texture that looks GREAT in VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Concentrate on one module until you are feeling comfortable with it, especially as a newbie. Learning half a dozen planes at once just overwhelmes; you get stuck half way in, feel like you don't make any progress and then uninstall out of frustration.

This can’t be stressed enough... When I got DCS I purchased A-10C, Spitfire, F-5E, and F-18 in fairly rapid succession, got frustrated and took about 4 months off from simming. I know it’s exciting, and the videos you watch for the different modules get you super stoked, but get A, one, singular module and learn it. Then if you want to buy a second plane after you’re proficient with the first go for it. Don’t burn yourself out like I did.

This must be the #1 most asked question on the forum. Just on this subforum there must be about a dozen of these threads from the past 2 months or so :smilewink:

Please go and review the existing threads - you will already find many answers there and tons of different viewpoints, PLUS you'll be able to tell us some (more or less) obvious additional information like what you really want, what you are expecting from DCS, what's your planned approach and what's your background etc.

I can't believe nobody actually wrote a decent buyer's guide yet...

And all the fun stuff in early access and beta are not supported in STEAM.

Steam DOES get the early access stuff, might just take a while since ED feels a bit quality conscious about releasing stuff to Steam. I think the Open beta branch is also available via Steam.

Anyway, it's worth its separate thread... of which there are a few lying around, as well :smilewink:

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Thoughts:

- Many items are on sale right now, go have a browse first

- As already mentioned, don't buy via Steam, buy directly from ED

- You get what is probably the best map for free with the game, i.e. the Caucasus. If you're not sure about DCS, then hold off on buying others. If you really want another map, go with the Persian Gulf

- If you know what aircraft you want to fly, i.e. helicopter, modern jetm cold war jet or WW2, then just buy it. When I started, I really wanted to fly a Huey, so that was my mission and I didn't buy another module for months. Took me that long to really understand DCS and how to fly

- If you're not sure, for the Helis, go with a Huey. For the jets, IMO then Hornet, and for WW2, the P51. They're not necessarily the "best", but they're great allrounders, can do a lot and still present a good challenge.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just in case you missed the previous mentions: do not buy the Steam versions. :)

The decision to go with stand-alone (website) version or with the Steam version is important, because you can't change later once you purchased something (with a few exceptions, which I won't go into now).

The stand-alone version can be downloaded from here.

You can choose either "DCS World 2.5" or "DCS World 2.5 Open Beta". Open Beta includes the newest updates and this is the one I use.

This is the game itself, which is free and includes two free aircrafts (one with a "clickable cockpit", but no weapons; the other with weapons but without a "clickable cockpit"). You can start with the tutorials (training) missions from those two free aircrafts, to get a feel for the game.

You can then buy so-called "modules" (aircrafts, terrains/maps, campaigns), but before purchasing anything, read a little about that particular module you are interested in.

You should be aware that some modules are made by third party developers and some are better than others.

There is no rush: this sale lasts until January 7th (at an unspecified time, so better decide by January 6th).

I don't think the STEAM version deserves all the bad rap it gets. STEAM does have OpenBeta option which is released at same time as standalone every 2 weeks. STEAM version also got early access F/A-18 around same time as standalone. STEAM version also gets most of the same seasonal sales on modules.

I've also downloaded and installed mods/missions on the STEAM version without issue.

STEAM version is fine. I have it and all my modules are on it without any issue. I also use STEAM for other games and like having all in one place.

My module recommendation: F/A-18C

First true multi-role fighter available in DCS. Flight model is super fun (for me anyways) and the systems are not enormously complex to learn and use. It's gonna have a wide-range of ordnance available when complete and be able to do from A2A to A2G with the flip of a switch.

Edited by Chewie_77

Rig: i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133 | 1070 8GB | 27" QHD GSYNC | 2x SSDs | W10

Setup: DCS 2.5 OB | M2000C | F/A-18C | F-86 | F-5E T.16000M HOTAS

Excellent advice from all of you! That's the most informative and helpful thread I've seen in any forum I've been in since the 'newsgroups' days. I will definitely be uninstalling my steam version (I have not bought any planes or modules yet) and reinstalling regular dcs, I did notice the sale on some jets, like $5 and $7 bucks, but some jets come with some modules or packs so I should look at that if I want a particular jet, yes? I downloaded orig. DCS first and couldn't figure out how to get into VR, then I downloaded steam and got right into it's VR, but that was just to get in and get a look so I'll get rid of it. Thanks again, I will have more questions in the coming months and will scour the forum. I used to play all the Janes sims from the mid 90's to 2000. When I moved to Vegas and got my first high speed internet in 2000 I built up two dedicated pc's and suncom f-15e setups and my friend and I played Jane's USAF every day. I started goofing around with Falcon 4.0 and Lock On but lost interest as the gaming world moved away from flight sims. Have literally been waiting until VR was a thing so I could get excited about sim'ing again. Also, check me and my club out at rfsm.net and we're on facebook. Plastic model building and Nellis afb photography. THANKS MILLIONS AGAIN GUYS!

Oh, also, real quick. Do I have a chance in Hell of getting my old Suncom F-15E setup or Thrustmaster FLCS TQS to work effectively? If not I'll sell them on ebay and get the Saitek Rhino setup. Thx.

If they plug in and work in control manager, I don't see why not. If they are old enough to still have the pins you might need to buy a USB adapter.

Flaming Cliffs 3 is a good package to get. The modules are somewhat simplified and do not have clickable cockpits, but you get a good mix of ground attack planes and fighter aircraft. Not a bad package to buy to get your feet wet with.

As far as full fledged modules: The A-10C is one of the best modules out there as it is feature complete and it has good tutorials. The Viggen is also a gem of a plane with a working ground radar and an old 60's analog computer to poke at, but in the long run, the F18 will be one of the most well rounded aircraft out there, and is already enjoyable to fly and fight in.

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

LOL. newsgroup was awesome for techincal info until the "internet" was found and spammers showed up. Completely ruined it. You could learn so much from the right people in the right groups. I guess now it's only used to move movies/shows.

It's not that STEAM is bad, but you always have to *wait* for STEAM support from ED. So if you're patient, STEAM will do. But for me, myself, and I, I can't stand the wait! :)

And DCS will use any joystick that Windows recognizes.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just started and I have quite a few planes.

I feel the A10C is the BEST place to start to get an all-around understanding.It is also on sale for $30. There are number of great training missions and I also recommend the A10C Qualifying missions.

That being said, there is SO much support for the FA18 right now. For me personally, I am still doing HOTAS setup for this and it slows me down.

Cheers

System Specs:

Intel 8700K (Factory Clocks) / NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS ROG STRIX 1080TI

Corsair RGB 32GB @ 3600MHZ

Samsung 970EVO M.2 OS Drive / 2 x Samsung 960EVO SATA Game Drive (DCS and STEAM)

Phankteks Enthoo Evolv TG w/ something like, 9 case fans now...

Alienware 34" AW3418DW (with 120HZ and GSYNC)

Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster MFD

Saitek Rudder Pedals

Logitch G35 Mic

TrackIR5

Corsair keyboard/mouse

A10C,FA18,F14,Viggen <3,F16,Spitfire, NTTR, Persian Gulf,SuperCarrier

I have been here for over 11 years. Be cautious about what you think you know because there is always more to learn and there is a lot to absorb, You have no idea the amount of information available in the complex world of DCS. Don't buy too much, stick to one aircraft or helicopter. I don't know your gaming experience, just take it slow.. This is a huge elephant!

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Just feel I have to chime to defend against the rather unfair criticism against Steam (never though I'd be saying that...)

Steam users, such as myself) get the Open Beta the exact same day as the standalone users, so there's that myth dispelled.

As for this "many of the DLC missions don't support Steam" nonsense, I have no idea what that's all about. As far as I'm aware, the paid DLC for standalone and Steam is exactly the same and will play exactly the same way.

It simply comes down to choice, but as said before it is an important one as purchases can't be interchanged between the versions once made. I personally like just having all my games gathered together in a nice neat pile :-)

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

At least in my case, while the discount percentages are the same during this sale, prices are slightly lower in ED/DCS store compared with Steam store. Could be because of the USD/EUR exchange rate Steam uses which leads to higher full prices on Steam.

Sure, if you already bought modules in Steam (and at least some of them are not transferable to stand-alone), then having DCS in Steam is not that big of an issue.

But if starting from scratch, in my opinion it's better to go with the stand-alone version.

Like you, I got into it because of VR. I'd like to give a shout out for the A4e, a community mod that's a free download. Excellent VR implementation, good trainer, fun to fly. Clickable cockpit really helps in VR, the FC3 aircraft are a little more effort to use without being able to see the keyboard.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I have been here for over 11 years. Be cautious about what you think you know because there is always more to learn and there is a lot to absorb, You have no idea the amount of information available in the complex world of DCS. Don't buy too much, stick to one aircraft or helicopter. I don't know your gaming experience, just take it slow.. This is a huge elephant!

Sound advice.

The Robert Shaw quote in your sig had me in stitches.

Just feel I have to chime to defend against the rather unfair criticism against Steam (never though I'd be saying that...)

Steam users, such as myself) get the Open Beta the exact same day as the standalone users, so there's that myth dispelled.

As for this "many of the DLC missions don't support Steam" nonsense, I have no idea what that's all about. As far as I'm aware, the paid DLC for standalone and Steam is exactly the same and will play exactly the same way.

It simply comes down to choice, but as said before it is an important one as purchases can't be interchanged between the versions once made. I personally like just having all my games gathered together in a nice neat pile :-)

I salute your defence of Steam :thumbup:

I don't use it for DCS but I do for other stuff.

One more thing to consider. For me DCS is king. PUBG, Fortnite, BF5, and other games take a back seat. So I put EPIC/STEAM games on my SSD drive. Man these games take a lot of space. LOL.

But DCS stays on my NVMe drive. And if I were to get it from Steam, I couldn't separate out just DCS.

But it looks like the delays of old "getting to steam" is gone.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

But DCS stays on my NVMe drive. And if I were to get it from Steam, I couldn't separate out just DCS.

That was a long time ago, nowadays you can choose install location for each steam game separately.

I'd still go for standalone, I think the only real advantage Steam has is better download speed, but that's depending where you live.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

DCS spitfire is the best WW2 module I have ever flown in any flightsim. You know how all the old spitfire pilots used to say how they fell in love with the plane? It happened to me to!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Flaming Cliffs 3 is a good package to get. The modules are somewhat simplified and do not have clickable cockpits, but you get a good mix of ground attack planes and fighter aircraft. Not a bad package to buy to get your feet wet with.

FC3 (and the upcoming successor/extension MAC next year) is pretty much the only bundle out there, the others are the occasional special offers.

An alternative is to go for older planes, or trainers - more simple systems than modern front-line craft, so easier to pick up, but much to learn and master and they have theis place in a number of scenarios.

Also all the helicopters are very good and can be a great way to start your rotary wing career. Only the Kamov has somewhat complicated systems, I would say, but it's the only true full blown attack helicopter too. Each of the four helicopters is different with its own personality and will appeal most to different people.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS