DCS: F-14 Cold and Dark (Startup Video)

Cobra847

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I very much hope it has autostart.

:drink:

:joystick:

And maybe some function to weed out would-be-elitist, keyboard warriors too. Does Jester have a 'Lighten up, Francis' in his repertoire?

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

In jabbers_ stream he did a basic start up with jester (around 2 hours and 38 minutes into the stream), and with a INS Go Now it was around 5 minutes and 30 seconds until he started to taxi. So if you want the basic it's possible to do it under 5 minutes if your fast.

Jester assisted is the longer one. 24 minutes or more depending on INS choice.*highlights where to select and bit tests etc*

Jester start now is the faster one. 5 Minutes or more depending on INS choice.

Edited by WarHawk72

In jabbers_ stream he did a basic start up with jester (around 2 hours and 38 minutes into the stream), and with a INS Go Now it was around 5 minutes and 30 seconds until he started to taxi. So if you want the basic it's possible to do it under 5 minutes if your fast.

Jester assisted is the longer one. 24 minutes or more depending on INS choice.*highlights where to select and bit tests etc*

Jester start now is the faster one. 5 Minutes or more depending on INS choice.

There were waypoints in that mission, so the INS NOW was quite a bit longer than it would be without waypoints in a mission. It would probably more close to instant.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I feel like starting the A-10 takes longer than the F-14. Probably a perception issue, but...I don't know, the F-14 doesn't seem that bad really.

Or the older F-16s in BMS.

If you practice, you can start the A-10C from C&D to mission ready in about 4.5 minutes with a full alignment. To do the same in the Cat without the help of a preloaded position would take the same amount of time at minimum for a coarse alignment iirc or up to 8 minutes for a fine alignment. To go from C&D to fully aligned FMC without preloading an alignment in the mission editor in the Cat, it will definitely take longer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!

Will mission designers be able to (pre)align the Tomcat's INS like for example it is possible to do with the Mirage?

I imagine this would be quite useful in multiplayer scenarios. You will still have to start-up the Tomcat but the INS would already be pre-aligned?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Excellent tutorial, excellent video.

Still some questions I kindly ask you to answer me:

The Anti-Skid switch is set to "spoilers only", spoilers are tested and then it is set to "off".

Did I miss something, or is it never again moved out of "off"?

As I would expect, it should be set to "spoilers only" for carrier operation and to "both" for land operation, or?

What about the flaps, 0 flaps for take-off and probably 100% flaps for landing?

Does the Master Test Switch stays pulled out, or will it be pushed in again on the inital position? What about the other postions of the MTS?

Thank you very much.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Spoilers are armed again on the takeoff checklist just prior to taking the runway because the outboard spoiler module would overheat during extended operation.

Spoiler brakes remain off during shipboard operation.

Usually no flap or maneuvering flap extended takeoffs from land, always full flaps from the boat.

Viewpoints are my own.

Spoilers are armed again on the takeoff checklist just prior to taking the runway because the outboard spoiler module would overheat during extended operation.

Spoiler brakes remain off during shipboard operation.

Usually no flap or maneuvering flap extended takeoffs from land, always full flaps from the boat.

Thank you.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

If you practice, you can start the A-10C from C&D to mission ready in about 4.5 minutes with a full alignment. To do the same in the Cat without the help of a preloaded position would take the same amount of time at minimum for a coarse alignment iirc or up to 8 minutes for a fine alignment. To go from C&D to fully aligned FMC without preloading an alignment in the mission editor in the Cat, it will definitely take longer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I know the time is shorter on the A-10, I've just always had a better flow on the F-14 doing a startup.

The Falcon BMS early F-16s are roughly comparable time-wise to the F-14, and those even feel faster than the A-10C. Maybe it's just I have more to do.

I, force of habit, went full flaps in FSX taking off from Oceana, and that was a weird "oh wow, goodbye planet Earth" experience of just going straight up once I was at takeoff speed. I was also at about 8000 lbs and no stores, so that helped as well.

Edited by Bad Idea Hat

Does anyone know why this version of the F110 closes the nozzle on start?

I tried to ask here but not sure if anyone saw it

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3809863&postcount=97

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The only difference in the engines that I could find was that the -400 had a roughly 4 ft. (50 in.) extension added to it to account for the 14's engine bay. I'm not sure how much that would affect the thrust so, maybe it was to account for the extra length?

The only other reason i could think of was to limit the blast area behind the 14 for use on the carrier.

I am by no means an expert though. My experience was turbo props where on 10-15% of the thrust came from the exhaust pipe and the rest from the prop.

I am just curious. The F110-GE-100 only does that if started in secondary mode where the Digital Electronic Control (DEC) is not on and the Main Engine Control (MEC) is used to control the start.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Does anyone know why this version of the F110 closes the nozzle on start?

I tried to ask here but not sure if anyone saw it

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3809863&postcount=97

here is your answer:

"so the reason the nozzles behave the way they do during startup :Cycling of oil. And its starts in sec mode. It wasn't till it hit a certain percentage that the aftc takes over."

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Is there a video out there of "normal" startup, with instructions (one that does not take 20 minutes or so to start taxxing)?

Thanks.

There will be from me closer to launch

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord