Jabbers - DCS World - F-14 Tomcat - Back Seat - RIO AWG-9 Tutorial

Jabbers_

BTW, excellent video. Probably the best radar tutorial video I've seen yet. Apart from the one Ironhand did on the F15 like 10 years ago. :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Truly excellent video Jabbers. Well done.

Now that's what we've been waiting for.

Just starting the Spiceman 2 hour 44 min! RIO school vid......... happy days (people...it's got a LANTIRN section....!)

Edited by AvroLanc

So, am I understanding right that without a half depress moving the HCU actually doesn't do a thing? Just kinda wondering how to map it exactly, since my stick doesn't have a two-stage trigger. :)

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

So, am I understanding right that without a half depress moving the HCU actually doesn't do a thing? Just kinda wondering how to map it exactly, since my stick doesn't have a two-stage trigger. :)

Just bind one button to half-depress and another to full.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Just bind one button to half-depress and another to full.

That's what I am planning to do, just wanted to be sure I understand correctly. :)

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Can't believe nobody has pointed out the best bit of this video!! The beach volleyball courts at 0:20 lol

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai, Kola, Afghanistan

Next great video, thanks Jabbers!

A burning question to all:

How is the AWG 9 in STT faring during cranking? Does it keep lock up to 50 Degrees and more?

Furthermore is it possible to crank in TWS, ergo slewing the 20% Azimuth to left or right?

Nobody seemed to ever tried this in the mass of videos so far.

Thanks!

Fantastic video - so glad we get to determine target HAFU and that using IFF doesn't enforce 'hard coded' game ROE's where no IFF response = Hostile.

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Next great video, thanks Jabbers!

A burning question to all:

How is the AWG 9 in STT faring during cranking? Does it keep lock up to 50 Degrees and more?

Furthermore is it possible to crank in TWS, ergo slewing the 20% Azimuth to left or right?

Thanks!

The azimuth switch on the sensor control panel goes up to 65 degrees, which I assume is the gimbal limit of the radar antenna. As long as your target is inside that limit, the radar should be able to track it. Since a crank is a 45 degree turn, you should be okay.

Thanks!

Thats a really interesting question that I would love to know the answer to.

Thats a really interesting question that I would love to know the answer to.

From the EA manual:

"The AZ CTR (azimuth control) and EL CTR (elevation control) knobs sets the elevation and azimuth centerpoint of the antenna scan pattern. The azimuth control moves the azimuth scan center within 65° degrees of the aircraft centerline, this is disabled if azimuth scan width is set to ±65° as it already scans the whole available azimuth range. Do not move the scan pattern so that it scans outside of 65° from aircraft centerline as this might damage the antenna as it might hit the antenna azimuth stops."

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#sensor-control-panel

Basically, the answer is yes as long as you don't break it.

From the EA manual:

"The AZ CTR (azimuth control) and EL CTR (elevation control) knobs sets the elevation and azimuth centerpoint of the antenna scan pattern. The azimuth control moves the azimuth scan center within 65° degrees of the aircraft centerline, this is disabled if azimuth scan width is set to ±65° as it already scans the whole available azimuth range. Do not move the scan pattern so that it scans outside of 65° from aircraft centerline as this might damage the antenna as it might hit the antenna azimuth stops."

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#sensor-control-panel

Basically, the answer is yes as long as you don't break it.

Awesome! Missed that in my readthrough, thanks. So I guess it's possible for a coordinated crew to maneuver the plane quite a bit and still hold decent TWS tracks.

Now for the inevetable question. Does Jester move the centerpoint of the antena if the pilot starts to crank the plane?

Can't believe nobody has pointed out the best bit of this video!! The beach volleyball courts at 0:20 lol

Or Maverick and Charlie waving you off!

EDIT:

Ah sniped by macidcrook. :thumbup:

I'm just too slow. I feel the need, the need for...a lay down.

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

From the video:

"The two examples, where it disappears, shows the weakness of the pulse Doppler".

No, it doesn't.

One example (the first) shows the weakness of the pulse Doppler. The other (second) shows the weakness of ED's radar simulation.

IRL, co-speed targets show up on a PD radar just fine, and I really wish ED would fix this.

From the video:

"The two examples, where it disappears, shows the weakness of the pulse Doppler".

No, it doesn't.

One example (the first) shows the weakness of the pulse Doppler. The other (second) shows the weakness of ED's radar simulation.

IRL, co-speed targets show up on a PD radar just fine, and I really wish ED would fix this.

Nope, nothing in this is EDs code, and the co-speed targets is from the Zero Doppler filter which afaik is a real thing.

Edited by Jabbers_

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord