Harrier info

shift611

I am thinking about buying this module but would like some advice on how hard it would be to learn to fly this module and all the systems that go with it. To be honest I am only really used to the easier "Flaming Cliffs" aircraft apart from the "Hawk" which is now defunct. I only ask because I know its generally accepted that the A10c is very hard to learn to operate and was wondering if the Harrier is the same. Thanks in advance for any help on this.:helpsmilie:

In it's current state, i would not recommend the harrier to a "beginner". And it would be similar complex as the A-10C if it is feature complete some day. I would suggest you try the M-2000C instead. It is easy to learn and has some A2G capability as well. The M-2000C is very much fun to fly.

Beginner or not, i would not shy away from the Harrier. It is not that hard.

The Harrier is a blast to fly.

If you take the time to read up on it, you would be good with it in no time.

Obviously, you are interested in the Harrier so go for it.

“Its current state” is not a problem for enjoyment of flying the aircraft.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Its easy enough for a beginner system wise if biggy at times, its also a blast to fly and can do its mission.

How ever if you are a perfectionist, its still WIP and has more then its fair share of system bugs, the majority of which its just learning the work around.

“Its current state” is not a problem for enjoyment of flying the aircraft.

For me it is.

You should not recommend unfinished EA modules to newcommers in general.

As i do still value the work of RAZBAM i did suggest an other RAZBAM module that i think is fine and a good starter full fidelity module and i did not say something like "you shouldn't get a RAZBAM module".

You should not recommend unfinished EA modules to newcommers in general.

Basically this. For a new guy, trying to learn an incomplete plane is gonna be a hassle. Not knowing if you are doing something wrong or the plane is bugged is a serious handicap. Plus the harrier has a ton of bugs at the moment and a bunch of missing or broken functionality. And I've very little improvement in the time I've owned it. All that put together makes it hard to recommend. Honestly I'd suggest the F5 for a new guy.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's a lot of fun to fly with the VTOL, but I cant give it a recommendation in its current state. It can be hard to figure out whats user error, a bug, or not implemented yet. The mirage is a lot of fun and has some air to ground capabilities but is mostly air to air. If you want air to ground the A-10C is the gold standard. It can be intimidating to learn but doing the training missions will get you close enough and finding a squadron to fly with online thats willing to help you learn will get you the rest of the way. Viggen is also a lot of fun for strike missions but its a get in and get out plane, not for loitering over the target plinking tanks.

Edited by Jester986

Before you invest the money in the Harrier, I would rather invest in the Fa-18 or F-14 in your place. The Mig-21 is also a good alternative. You have to work in one way or another, no matter which module. I would have recommended A-10C to you, but you do not want it. Or the KA-50 or Mi-8 if it's supposed to be a helicopter.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Thank you all for your info and advice and I will look into all your suggestions. I must admit the F5 has always interested me because it does look a much easier module to learn while still being a fast jet, but, and here's the but, since we have been told of the most favourite all time aircraft and I am a Brit so all are included for me is the F16 is in development I wanted to try and get used to MFD. Mind you at my age, 71 I'm wondering if I'll still be around when that comes out LOL, only joking, I HOPE!. Thanks again all.

I am a Brit

Best reason of all, to get the Harrier. :thumbup:

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

And about the only one...

Ok, it's cool and has a lot of clicky stuff, but since you are new to this kind of aircraft, a little caution:

- documentation shipped with the aircraft is limited, and obsolete in some places. It's just a pocket guide, not full manual

- real aircraft documentation is not always helpful, because many items described in the real manuals are missing in Razbam's Harrier or working incorrectly.

- Training missions, while very detailed and made by BalticDragon (one of the best capaign makers in DCS), are also WIP and more than half of them are still missing.

- online tutorial videos and guides were usually made more than a year ago and are often obsolete

It's a pretty aircraft, but not very beginner friendly.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

And about the only one...

but since you are new to this kind of aircraft,

It's a pretty aircraft, but not very beginner friendly.

I've got 72 hrs. on this aircraft. How many do I need before the newness wears off?

"It's a pretty aircraft". There's another good reason to get it! :thumbup:

Only the vertical stuff is difficult. I got my 28 quids worth just trying to land the thing.

The rest is straightforward if you want to move up from FC3, or just don't do stuff until you feel ready.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Seriously, I know of no bugs or missing features that stand in the way of flying this aircraft and Enjoying it for anyone that has enough interest.

VSTOL is not that difficult, if you can walk, chew gum and solve Rubiks Cube, (kidding) at the same time.

Harrier is unique in DCS, there should be one in everyones Hangar.

I would be happy to gift the module. (Shift, check your PM.)

Could probably join up in MP and TS and get airborne, doing vertical takeoffs and landings in short order. Weapon deloyment included. Even take you on a mission. That would be fun.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I really thank you for your offer MegOhm SD, I'm still chewing it over but thanks again, we oldies have got to stick together LOL. As said I really love the F16 and am determined to spend time on that when released. Just have to make sure I keep going to the gym 4 times a week to stay fit LOL, no kidding been doing it for most of my life so do expect to be around when the F16 comes out.

Seriously, I know of no bugs or missing features that stand in the way of flying this aircraft and Enjoying it for anyone that has enough interest.

VSTOL is not that difficult, if you can walk, chew gum and solve Rubiks Cube, (kidding) at the same time.

Harrier is unique in DCS, there should be one in everyones Hangar.

I would be happy to gift the module. (Shift, check your PM.)

Could probably join up in MP and TS and get airborne, doing vertical takeoffs and landings in short order. Weapon deloyment included. Even take you on a mission. That would be fun.

I'm not gonna post the running list here since it gets posted once a week by some irate customer, one just needs to do a bit of homework and look around. And honestly I think there is a lot of irate customers precisely because it is iconic and we all want it to be as good as it can be.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm not gonna post the running list here since it gets posted once a week by some irate customer, one just needs to do a bit of homework and look around. And honestly I think there is a lot of irate customers precisely because it is iconic and we all want it to be as good as it can be.

+1

Harrier for fun. Yeah the F18 is a must have too. Nice fast jet in anticipation of the F16 if thats your thing. Im a Navy/Marine guy.

So Shift, Ill gift you the Harrier, you get the F18 and Ill help you with both.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Yeah no point in that

"Just avoid all EA modules"

Yeah, there's some finished EA modules that have been "EA" for 5 years now, so a blanket rule like that doesn't work.

In the Harrier's current state, I would be on the fence about recommending it. For me personally, the only game-breaking issue is the Betty/GPWS that we have now as it is extremely buggy. Once that issue is resolved (hopefully soon) I would be more likely to recommend it, with the caveats that some things still aren't functional/don't work right. Before the Betty update I was perfectly able to kick some ass in the Harrier online.

I reported Betty shouting at me during all kinds of landings :)) guess she shouldn’t be doing that. I am pretty sure that things will move swiftly with the Harrier now. The team is quick to acknowledge and fix things that I discover as I move on with the training, as this is the thread about training after all:)

But as for recommendations- Harrier is a great airplane and a very complex module. It has been slowly pushing A-10 from the position of my favourite module and once all remaining issues are resolved (soon!) it will be an absolute blast to fly.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I reported Betty shouting at me during all kinds of landings :)) guess she shouldn’t be doing that. I am pretty sure that things will move swiftly with the Harrier now. The team is quick to acknowledge and fix things that I discover as I move on with the training, as this is the thread about training after all:)

But as for recommendations- Harrier is a great airplane and a very complex module. It has been slowly pushing A-10 from the position of my favourite module and once all remaining issues are resolved (soon!) it will be an absolute blast to fly.

I feel the same, but there are many pages without function for now that I suppose are necessary for the excellent training missions that you do for this module, hopefully some will be implemented soon now that seem to accelerate things here (I hope).