With no Chuck's Guide, please recommend best material to read on F-14

redmantab

The manual.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Jabbers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvXXUrGCF3wV3bbZ6pFQ00g/featured

He's been doing a whole ton of well made tutorial videos for the Tomcat.

yep, not Chuck's guide for the F-14. OPSEC issues so I am on youtube like crazy. There are a ton of video's out there including Jabbers (which are really great). Also, don't forget now on the DCS channel is almost all streaming F-14's now. You can just ask questions in the chat and get immediate answers.

Fun fact, Jester is also on most of the streams as a greywolf that can answer questions as well. It's weird watching Hell_Gato's channel and Jester is on discord, chat and the back seat rio at the same time.

I thought he said himself that his position didn't allow him to write the guide.

Yes, he said and wrote:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3626781&postcount=211

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

The F-14 manual. And if you have other questions the NATOPS is the best place to go.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

So, that explanation doesn't pass the smell test.

Seriously?

Chuck's reasons for not writing a guide don't really need to pass ANYONE'S "smell test" on this forum or any other DCS community. If he does not feel comfortable doing one due to his job or security clearance considerations, that is it. There is nothing more for anyone to discuss and no real need to create narratives based on (pretty much) nothing.

Getting back on the main topic. At the moment, the DCS F-14 manual is rather slim on details/procedures. Some of the youtube videos help but it is not always the most ideal platform for detailed procedures.

So far, the main source I have been using is the F-14B NATOPS. That seems to be the most reliable way to go at the moment.

It couldn't possibly be less as matter of OPSEC.

Not OPSEC... ITAR....

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

US ITAR only applies to US persons and companies.

I thought he was a US defense contractor?

At any rate, he owes us nothing, and said he wont do it. So if he wont do one perhaps someone else will.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's highly unlikely that he is going to write an F-14 guide that puts him at any greater risk than any presented after writing guides for the Harrier (flown by the U.S., Brits, Spanish and Italians), Hog, Hornet (flown by several nations as well), Mirage (also operated by several countries), or Hawk. So, that explanation doesn't pass the smell test.

You dont get it .. the Tomcat is operated by Iran and there is a SPECIFIC EMBARGO towards that Contry by the US Government ... smell test ... I wonder why you feel so entitled towards others work :(

Basically it sounds like he doesn't want to write guides anymore, and is using that as a way to let you all down easy. He has definitely not been keeping up lately.

What a load of invented crap ... he is currently working on a C-101CC Guide.

Anyway, maybe one of you guys should write it. I'd do it but I'm at least as busy as Chuck is. I won't even see the Tomcat module for several years.

What are you doing here then?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Another one for the ignore list.

Ditto :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Guy's, you all seem to be getting caught up unnecessarily in legalese.

Chuck said "I'm not american, but I have to travel on american soil for work... in a world where the concept of privacy no longer exists. See where I'm going with this? At this point, I'd rather stay out of trouble and not risk it."

It's seems to me he'd likely not breach any laws if he made the guide but it might raise questions that could give himself and his company unneeded difficulties when trying to work for US contractors.

Also it's not because the F-14 has a foreign operator, like other types do, it's because the foreign operator is Iran and the US has sanctions against Iran specifically.

I love his guides, I hope he does some more, but frankly if he's simply sitting this one out or decided he's done with guides altogether, fair enough, and thank you Chuck for all you've done so far.

Basically it sounds like he doesn't want to write guides anymore, and is using that as a way to let you all down easy. He has definitely not been keeping up lately.

Anyway, maybe one of you guys should write it. I'd do it but I'm at least as busy as Chuck is. I won't even see the Tomcat module for several years.

You’re making a lot of assumptions about Chuck’s motives and trying to sell them as fact, and for good reason people here aren’t buying it. Oh wait, it’s only ok when you do it:

Lot of assumptions here....

My statement is WRT what that post states ED is or isn't doing without anything to back it up. Pure conjecture presented as fact, as is a lot of stuff that's posted in this forum.

Chuck’s done a lot of good work in this community over the years and is a genuinely friendly and helpful person, so I take him at his word. You on the other hand just shitpost and troll in threads for modules you don’t even own. Even with your little involuntary leave-of-absence you came straight back to petty shitposting in every thread you visit.

Damn I hate this place. Signing off.

So I’ll ask the same question as another poster: What are you even doing here?

EDIT: Oh, and it’d be an honor if you’ll add me to your sad little list too.:thumbup:

Edited by Commodore

This is very helpful, from Chuck himself...

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-heatblur-f-14b-tomcat-preview/

many thank for link it is usefull, pdf version will be great

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

many thank for link it is usefull, pdf version will be great

Indeed, great info. (thanks Chuck). ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I’m disappointed we’re not getting a guide but I also know ITAR isn’t something to be eff’d with. Chuck’s definitely ok in my book.

As heated as it can sometimes get in this community I think most people have good intentions. There are only a small handful of forum members I would consider legitimate trolls. Trev is one of them.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

And the derailing begins. smh

@OP, if you're not interested in the manual, there are tons of videos ppl have done so far on a lot of topics. Jabbers for one has a lot of vids. Of all the groups, the grim reapers has helped me with their TACAN video.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

the simplicity of chucks guide is what made it effective.. Each section has pictures to dictate each step of the way.. not only that, it goes in depth.. While the HB does its job, its a ****ing wall of text... limited pictures and has some section were some of the stuff its trying to explain... does it "half made" for example... the jester section.... only talks about 1-2 features.. while leaving us to experiment with the 20 other features.... ITS A MANUAL for a reason, we look at it so that we dont have to experiment on our own.. imo

Lets face it, we ALL miss Chuck's guide's on this. But we have to put no pressure on a guy who has helped us SO MUCH so far. So, Yes' I'm struggling as I cannot get the Tutorial to work, I've had to learn to program my system to fit and had my issues with the RIO. But, it's still a fine product - wart's and all as we say in UK, and it will mature...like me...hopefully better than me and it's early days. C'mon whoever envisaged that we'd be able to simulate a Tomcat to this degree, sure beats the Aifix kit, with no disrespect to Airfix.

We have what we have and we'll have to get on with it.