HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

There will probably look a lot better in person. I can't wait until someone tries it out in DCS.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The through the lense pictures of the Reverb look breathtaking. At least those pictures are not so bad as an indicator.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

The through the lense pictures of the Reverb look breathtaking. At least those pictures are not so bad as an indicator.

Thats what happens when you have more than 5x the pixels/subpixels of a gen1 headset like a rift... :music_whistling:

The only real unanswered question is if we can actually run DCS with that many...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thats what happens when you have more than 5x the pixels/subpixels of a gen1 headset like a rift... :music_whistling:

The only real unanswered question is if we can actually run DCS with that many...

Heh. Clarity looks nice but won't be nice at 25 fps

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

that or to get playable fps turning the graphics down to atari mode lol

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

I would expect the Reverb not more demanding than the Pimax, but surely more than Index, Odyssey, Vive Pro or others in the range of 1600 x 1440 resolution.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

You guys are forgetting that you can turn off PD (apparently) with Reverb. And I'm also banking on the DCS improvement for VR coming in the next few months.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Isn't turning off PD same as setting PD of 1.0?

I don't plan on using a PD higher than 1.0 if I get a Reverb. I use a 1.5 PD or 1.8 on my Odyssey which runs smoothly for me.

I sure hope the 50% VR improvement is sooner rather than later. But then again im also still waiting for the A10 cockpit update too.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Isn't turning off PD same as setting PD of 1.0?

I don't plan on using a PD higher than 1.0 if I get a Reverb. I use a 1.5 PD or 1.8 on my Odyssey which runs smoothly for me.

I sure hope the 50% VR improvement is sooner rather than later. But then again im also still waiting for the A10 cockpit update too.

In addition to a PD of 1.0, at that resolution it may be possible to go without any MSAA at all as well. Right now I run MSAA x4 and PD 1.5, so rendering 6x the pixels.

Now if it would just be possible to actually buy it...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I would expect the Reverb not more demanding than the Pimax, but surely more than Index, Odyssey, Vive Pro or others in the range of 1600 x 1440 resolution.

If I didn’t mess up the computation, Reverb = CV1 with pixel density or super sampling at 1.9.

Actually the resolution is higher than the 5K+ full resolution.

But 5K+ is complicated since you can change the FoV (also change the actual resolution).

Also a higher FoV will be more taxing on performance because of higher number of objects to display.

Finally a lot of people still have to use super sampling with 5+.

We can hope Reverb doesn’t need it.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Can we not have these stupid snake oil pictures. It demonstrates nothing but the quality or lack there of the camera. Your eyes will see something completely different.

Geez look at those pics no jaggies and so clear, then you put device on your head and its crawling with jaggies. I hope none of you base your purchase decisions on those pictures.....:helpsmilie:

lol what nonsense are you prattling on about. The Reverb has over twice the resolution of the Vive Pro/Odyssey+ and objectively will be way clearer and have far less anti-aliasing. Has nothing to do with "snake oil pictures".

And no, your eyes won't "See something completely different". Resolution is resolution. And on top of all that, the Reverb gets yet another clarity boost by having RGB sub-pixels versus the competitions crap pentile'esque ones.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Right now I run MSAA x4 and PD 1.5, so rendering 6x the pixels.

Not sure if I would agree with how you calculate it. MSAA x4 does not mean there is 4 times super sampling in the actual algorithm.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

lol what nonsense are you prattling on about. The Reverb has over twice the resolution of the Vive Pro/Odyssey+ and objectively will be way clearer and have far less anti-aliasing. Has nothing to do with "snake oil pictures".

And no, your eyes won't "See something completely different". Resolution is resolution. And on top of all that, the Reverb gets yet another clarity boost by having RGB sub-pixels versus the competitions crap pentile'esque ones.

Those pictures show nothing. They are not your eyeballs. Of course Reverb has higher resolution and would hope its better image. Phone pictures are not the way to judge this period.:doh:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

TBH, if the image quality is as good as reported, I'd be happy to purchase one and wait for the PC hardware, and DCS patches to bring the performance up to speed over time.

(just got a pay rise so I can feel a monster rig looming on the horizon, ready to burn a hole in my credit card ¬_¬)

A small pie is soon eaten

Clarity on those pictures is not even close to being accurate. These pictures could constitute false advertising. The clarity when its on your face is much different then what is potrayed in the pictures. These idiot youtubers need to stop spreading BS with these pictures.

Then everybody's eyes are different and ipd, will make the picture clarity and more variable in both directions

First, read carefully than comment. Just that.

Not sure if I would agree with how you calculate it. MSAA x4 does not mean there is 4 times super sampling in the actual algorithm.

You may be right, I was thinking of SSAA/FSAA. However, in DCS 4x MSAA has a huge performance hit since the deferred shading was implemented, so there will be performance savings there.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I look at these "through the lens" comparisons like taking a picture from a mountaintop and trying to relay the full affect to other people who weren't there with the picture alone. Unless they have been there, the value of the visual information in the photo is going to be highly subjective.

It'll be interesting to see the performance of a VR HMD that isn't having to use extra clock cycles to upconvert and downconvert.

Looks like it might be a while before any of us get our hands on a Reverb, but I'll wait. My Rift works just fine, and spending money to get something only slightly better in the interim isn't an option.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Truth is no one knows right now. At high res you wont need much AA. And pixel wise its comperable to the pimax 5k which people can already run. Add to that the VR improvment and i bet it runs ok.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Those pictures show nothing. They are not your eyeballs. Of course Reverb has higher resolution and would hope its better image. Phone pictures are not the way to judge this period.:doh:

Through the lens always look worse than real life. Mostly because it's hard to find the sweet spot.

However, the relative difference is what's interesting. Assuming the pictures were taken in a similar condition, and judging by the angle, it's not too bad.

One can make a reasonable conclusion about the pecking order of clarity. Again, because relative difference between the various HMDs. I've owned four of them, and I must say that for the most part, it's spot on. Not the actual picture quality, but the relative clarity amongst the contenders.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The Reverb looks vastly superior to the rest of the runners. As for running the Reverb, it`s native resolution will greatly surpass that of the vive pro & Index and running it should be commensurate with, or less than, running those lower res units with increased PD to try and compensate for the lack of res on those panels. It`s the old story of not been able to make a silk purse out of a pig`s ear. Reverb high res being the silk purse and the rest, the pig`s ear.

Edited by Zoomer

Latest Tested Podcast Talks about Reverb Resolution + with Vive Controllers (watch from 1:21:00)

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Through the lens always look worse than real life. Mostly because it's hard to find the sweet spot.

However, the relative difference is what's interesting. Assuming the pictures were taken in a similar condition, and judging by the angle, it's not too bad.

One can make a reasonable conclusion about the pecking order of clarity. Again, because relative difference between the various HMDs. I've owned four of them, and I must say that for the most part, it's spot on. Not the actual picture quality, but the relative clarity amongst the contenders.

This

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

You obviously have no idea how cameras and eyes work. If you objectively test different VR headsets with the same camera, same camera settings, same distance/focal point from the central point of the lens, the images can be very useful. As they have proven to be.

The Reverb has objectively wrecked the other headsets in the comparison, just as its specs would imply.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

You are being too picky Sniper175, no one claims that what you see in that crappy image is what you'll feel with the headset on. Having said that, those images have an implicit value, comparing the difference in output from the same shitty camera.

Is what you will see? No. But the improvement from one device to the other is the same (Eg. If what you really see with the rift on is 60% better than the image, what you'll see with the Reverb will be better approximately by the same amount if you know what I mean).