HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

OK so I reply to myself : now it seems impossible to change resolution on the fly, which is annoying when you want to select the best compromise between FPS and resolution. Another way of doing this is by playing with the pixel density...

I don't know what your issue is. I can change SS rate on the fly in fpsVR ok.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If I do this, I notice no difference. I have to start the game again in order for the changes to take effect. That's is not "on the fly"...

Does it work for you ?

Good question. I always restart DCS after any major change like that, but I'll try later.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Can I compare my results because I feel I get very poor performance compared to others with my reverb.

I've got top of the line equipment.... 9900KS @5.0ghz 64GB DDR4000, NVMe Samsung disk just for DCS and a 2080TI.

But on servers like GAW, the 104th and even some missions my squad (40th SOC) runs, I'm getting low frames around 20-25FPS. Also, it's always CPU bottlenecked. I've followed the youtube 2.5.6 VR Optimizations, verified the shaders run, disabled hotplug and gameDVR.

Currently I run steam at 100% (default 100% SS and DCS at 150%). I run high textures and no MSAA, low shadows and terrain shadows flat.

I can turn things from there way up or down on the graphics but performance never seems to improve. People tell me "it's just DCS", but I also see others with reverbs playing on similar servers as me (for example, 104 bullet on the 104 server) and his stream is buttery with worse hardware.

What up?

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

When 2.5.6 was released I was right at the end of setting up my VR system for gaming.

Pretty much finalizing my ideal set up for offline in major cities and online in the country.

2.5.6 literally dropped my system performance by around 10 fps, it does not sound like much but this pushed me from 60Hz locked with 8 Hz headroom in the worst conditions to 45Hz locked with around 8 Hz headroom. At low level flight in a helicopter.... 45Hz has worse graphics problems than 60 Hz!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

duplicate post!

OOOPS!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hi guys, I'm new to the VR world and DCS. Overall I am super impressed how everything looks and my rig runs it nicely with good settings. I followed Thuds' optimisation guide and another guide on youtube for 2.5.6 .

I do have one irritating problem and that is, when I fly past objects at low level or past planes at fast speed and mainly when I look sideways the object/plane seems to be flickering or blurring. I'm not sure if this is ghosting or a reprojection issue.

WHere do I start with trying sort this problem? Is it called "ghosting"? Would reprojection be the reason for this problem or is it the 90 hz setting in Steam VR?

I had a good search on this forum and youtube but couldn't find a fix.

Hi guys, I'm new to the VR world and DCS. Overall I am super impressed how everything looks and my rig runs it nicely with good settings. I followed Thuds' optimisation guide and another guide on youtube for 2.5.6 .

I do have one irritating problem and that is, when I fly past objects at low level or past planes at fast speed and mainly when I look sideways the object/plane seems to be flickering or blurring. I'm not sure if this is ghosting or a reprojection issue.

WHere do I start with trying sort this problem? Is it called "ghosting"? Would reprojection be the reason for this problem or is it the 90 hz setting in Steam VR?

What aircraft are you flying? If F-16, I've noticed this exact phenomenon is worse on that module than other aircraft. I'm running 2.5.6 and I get smooth frame rates with settings high in the Hornet, but see the same slowdowns at the same settings if I jump into the F-16 and fly the same route.

Yes, 2.5.6 is buggy - but the F-16 is worse. I've gone back to the Hornet because of this and having no issues at all.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Some of it is typical for HP Reverb.

If you have NVidia set/chk your VR prerender frames to 4 might help.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

What aircraft are you flying? If F-16, I've noticed this exact phenomenon is worse on that module than other aircraft. I'm running 2.5.6 and I get smooth frame rates with settings high in the Hornet, but see the same slowdowns at the same settings if I jump into the F-16 and fly the same route.

Yes, 2.5.6 is buggy - but the F-16 is worse. I've gone back to the Hornet because of this and having no issues at all.

Yep, flying the Viper. Overall i am happy with how it performs, it's just this little issue with low level or fast passing jets that I wish could be better.

Majapahit, thanks, i'll give that a go!

I do have one irritating problem and that is, when I fly past objects at low level or past planes at fast speed and mainly when I look sideways the object/plane seems to be flickering or blurring.[7b] I'm not sure if this is ghosting or a reprojection issue.

Its the nature of reprojection. read my older post:

The reprojection let the game produce 45 fps ( thereby seeing 45fps in DCS fps counter) and in between each frame, reprojection extrapolates one frame using the picture movement speed as the input data. This is a calculation based on the assumption of ”what is going to happen” so it is not perfect and it has a harder job predicting if head movememt is quick and/or has a angular acceleration.

I think WMR /Reverb reprojection is good. I also have Oculus Rift since they came out and I experience a lot cleaner picture with reverb + reprojection then Oculus in ASW.

If you deselect reprojection there will only be real DCS calculated pictures: i.e no predicted ”im between pictures” so you will not have that problem.

I use auto which give me reprojection of when I have 90fps, and rejorojection if between 90 amd 45. For me, thats the best setting.

I use reprojection in auto. Which means that when I have 90fps the reprojection is auto disabled and I have 90 frames per second, which al is produced by the game and 3d rendering. No pre-assumption of frames at all = there is no judder or ghosting.

I also have Oclus Rift since > 3 years. Id say that the Reverb (actually WMR / SteamVR?) is outstanding on this. There is a lot less ghosting for me with the reverb than with the oculus.

(of course, if I use low settings and my Rift I'll get 90fps mostly and then no ghosting.

Bust as most people(inluding me) have hardware limits and have to compromise, most people will use reprojection/ASW and then get ghosting.

Try lower the settings, SS etc, set reprojection in auto or off and fly on a scenery with lower demands, maybe the see, and look 90 degrees to the left or right. No ghosting.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Its the nature of reprojection. read my older post:

I use reprojection in auto. Which means that when I have 90fps the reprojection is auto disabled and I have 90 frames per second, which al is produced by the game and 3d rendering. No pre-assumption of frames at all = there is no judder or ghosting.

I also have Oclus Rift since > 3 years. Id say that the Reverb (actually WMR / SteamVR?) is outstanding on this. There is a lot less ghosting for me with the reverb than with the oculus.

(of course, if I use low settings and my Rift I'll get 90fps mostly and then no ghosting.

Bust as most people(inluding me) have hardware limits and have to compromise, most people will use reprojection/ASW and then get ghosting.

Try lower the settings, SS etc, set reprojection in auto or off and fly on a scenery with lower demands, maybe the see, and look 90 degrees to the left or right. No ghosting.

Cool! Thanks for your reply, I will try to play around with those settings and see how it goes. I tried switching the pre render frames to 4 in the Nvidia settings and I think that made it worse. I tried setting the WMR fps setting to 60 instead of 90 and I think its a bit smoother but will need to compare again to be sure.

Some of it is typical for HP Reverb.

If you have NVidia set/chk your VR prerender frames to 4 might help.

This is terrible advice. There are two causes to the ghosting omnipresent on the HP reverb:

#1 is unfix-able. The 2160x2160 panels in the reverb are bargain bin and they do not consistently implement the sub 1ms "low persistence" response time that they should. It is essential in VR for frames to only be visible for a fraction of a frame's render time in order for your eye tracking while rotating head to behave how your brain expects. Otherwise you perceive smearing since you move your head but the image hasn't stayed in the same place.

#2 is why you should leave pre-rendered at 1 if at all possible if you are hating ghosting. WMR is always going to late stage rotationally reprojecting frames; this is different than motion reprojection that drops you from 90 to 45 fps. When rotationally reprojecting, the WMR compositor has to predict where the frame should be as you rotate your head, and the more cpu frames you let quene up the worse this prediction is going to be.

Anyways, this is all related to the concept of rotational ghosting, and its hard to explain (if you don't already understand it I'm guessing my explanations didn't help at all), and the best resource I've found was a video of a guy detailing how they fixed it in the oculus protoype with low persistence displays. I would greatly appreciate if anyone who also knows the video could link it, as it is extremely helpful in helping people understand why ghosting occurs in VR.

#2 is why you should leave pre-rendered at 1 if at all possible

bla bla

RL world:

- pre-rendered frames 1, microstutter/smearing when fast 90° sideways head move, in particular outside center spot (partly rather typical for HP Reverb, prob because of the amount of pixels, depending on your Video Card, 1250-1500$ 2080Ti+ GTX apparently have little problems )

- NVidia pre-rendered frames 4 which is CPU rendered: less image smear/micro-stutter

now what.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

So what are your opinions on installing the Shaders mod? Is it worth it? I searched for opinions in these 531 pages here but only 1 person said it's not worth it.

Just install it and see what you think yourself. Opinions vary. If you are going to use it, I highly recommend deleting the water file as it destroys the nice ED graphical effects.

So what are your opinions on installing the Shaders mod? Is it worth it? I searched for opinions in these 531 pages here but only 1 person said it's not worth it.

prob helps if you run a lower end system

Just install it and see what you think yourself. Opinions vary. If you are going to use it, I highly recommend deleting the water file as it destroys the nice ED graphical effects.

But is it easy to revert back to standard if I don't like it?

But is it easy to revert back to standard if I don't like it?

Very easy, particularly if you use OvGME to install. Disenable the mod, run a repair and then delete the files in the usual fxo and metashaders2 folders. Then your back to normal!

Hey guys.

Ive been having a good time with my reverb I use it a 3 to 4 times a week for dcs maybe an hr at a time usually. its been flawless until today. I was in the middle of flying around and the VR screens went black. on my PC screen everything looked fine.

I get "check your display cable" on mixed reality portal. I tried plugging things in and out that didnt help. If I moved the connector in the right place on the headset it will light up and stay running if i hold real still as soon as I let go or move it will go blank. It does not appear to be the video card or the internal USB hub that is powered off the PC's PSU.

This was a 2nd batch headset with the clip to hold the cables together it was purchased about 9/3/19 from HP.

Is this cable thing still an issue and are current failures consistent with my description?

Thanks

-Gun

Hi gun, I haven’t had a failure like this, but some people have reported in them, I’d check the reddit pager for the reverb, it’s pretty well monitored by Hp.

Others have also reported moving to a powered usb hub, or moving to the usb hub on their pc can also be effective... if you have a lot of usb devices plugged in try unplugging them

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hey guys.

Ive been having a good time with my reverb I use it a 3 to 4 times a week for dcs maybe an hr at a time usually. its been flawless until today. I was in the middle of flying around and the VR screens went black. on my PC screen everything looked fine.

I get "check your display cable" on mixed reality portal. I tried plugging things in and out that didnt help. If I moved the connector in the right place on the headset it will light up and stay running if i hold real still as soon as I let go or move it will go blank. It does not appear to be the video card or the internal USB hub that is powered off the PC's PSU.

This was a 2nd batch headset with the clip to hold the cables together it was purchased about 9/3/19 from HP.

Is this cable thing still an issue and are current failures consistent with my description?

Thanks

-Gun

It is most likely a cable issue...had the same problem. I called HP Support and got a new cable overnight...all is good now.