CCIP bombing tips?

A2597

Something I constantly struggle with is getting the CCIP crosshair over my target from any decent altitude. I feel like I always have to wait until I'm almost directly over the target at 10,000ft, nose down to -30 (or -40) dive, then...wait...wait..wait... take a sip of coffee...keep waiting...ponder if I'll have time to pull up before the reticle is over the target, and now that I'm at about 1000ft, be able to drop bombs and pull up, praying the AAA doesn't hit me.

In videos it always seems like people can get these bombs much further forward, from a much higher altitude, with less of a dive. What's the trick?

Something I constantly struggle with is getting the CCIP crosshair over my target from any decent altitude. I feel like I always have to wait until I'm almost directly over the target at 10,000ft, nose down to -30 (or -40) dive, then...wait...wait..wait... take a sip of coffee...keep waiting...ponder if I'll have time to pull up before the reticle is over the target, and now that I'm at about 1000ft, be able to drop bombs and pull up, praying the AAA doesn't hit me.

In videos it always seems like people can get these bombs much further forward, from a much higher altitude, with less of a dive. What's the trick?

Speeed... and setting Wing sweep to BOMB mode, could be the difference.

Hard to tell with no further detail.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Speeed... and setting Wing sweep to BOMB mode, could be the difference.

Hard to tell with no further detail.

Wrong plane my man... :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Aim for 450-500 knots at the drop.

...Well then... that's some speed. I think when I'm loitering over the target I'm just in full military thrust and around 350...

So you go full burners in on the drop?

Wrong plane my man... :)
Definitely! Still speed is a thing, though I never had trouble in the Hornet to get the symbology even with 350 kts if the roll in is from high enough and a good angle...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'm not sure it's the right procedure, but I go from 40,000 feet to 6 miles from the target start with an aerobrake dive to have more time to designate above 15,000 feet, almost always hit with the MK-83.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDpLp0Gckp0

I'm not sure it's the right procedure, but I go from 40,000 feet to 6 miles from the target start with an aerobrake dive to have more time to designate above 15,000 feet, almost always hit with the MK-83.

That is...excessive :)

It would take forever to release 9 MK-83s if you return to 40000 ft each time.

My technique, which seems to work well, is as follows:

1. Ingress/reattack at ~350 kn at 8000-10000 ft

2. Dive at 15-30 degrees, set throttle based on speed and height

eg if already above 400 kn, throttle idle

if around 300-350 kn, throttle 50%

if <300 kn, throttle mil power

3. Release at 2000-4000 ft, when the pipper is over the target will depend on angle and speed

4. Pull up to approx +30 degrees and throttle to mil power

5. Trade speed for altitude, you should end up ready to return to step 1 and turn around to reattack by the time you are at 8000-10000 ft again

Edited by Py
formatting

That is...excessive :)

It would take forever to release 9 MK-83s if you return to 40000 ft each time.

My technique, which seems to work well, is as follows:

1. Ingress/reattack at ~350 kn at 8000-10000 ft

2. Dive at 15-30 degrees, set throttle based on speed and height

eg if already above 400 kn, throttle idle

if around 300-350 kn, throttle 50%

if <300 kn, throttle mil power

3. Release at 2000-4000 ft, when the pipper is over the target will depend on angle and speed

4. Pull up to approx +30 degrees and throttle to mil power

5. Trade speed for altitude, you should end up ready to return to step 1 and turn around to reattack by the time you are at 8000-10000 ft again

I also aim to place the horizontal bar on the target at tip-in. Use the time diving to align your impact line with the target. Once you get the CCIP cross, use a little pitch down to slow the track rate of the cross on the ground before it passes over the target if you're not 100% confident on your solution.

The slower you are at the perch (300-350) the more time you'll have to line it up and the higher you'll pull off. The steeper you are, the better your CEP gets but you'll also build airspeed faster. Have fun finding the balance of those and your tip-in height.

VMFA-122 Crusaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord

Look up Z diagrams and manual bombing techniques. Then apply that knowledge using CCIP for that extra bit of accuracy.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q