What countermeasures programs do you use?

Darcaem

This must have been properly discussed somewhere, but all articles and tutorials I find teach you how to use them, not what settings are actually recommended.

I use 1 chaff per second three times on program 1, and 1 flare per second three times on 5. I feel I'm been way too conservative, aren't I?

Also, I wonder if flaring in pairs instead of only one flare at a time has better efect, being a twin engine?

Thanks for any advice!

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

I suspect this is a matter of personal preference appropriate to the style of missile avoidance manoeuvre you fly.

Pgm 1 2 x chaff, 0 Flares , Repeat 3 Interval 2sec

Pgm 5 0 x chaff, 4 x Flares Repeat 2 Interval 2 secs

works for me.

I guess a mixed chaff and flare pgm might be useful if you don't know what is inbound, but you should always KNOW when locked by a Radar guided missile.

Maybe a mixed program if engaged by a Flanker firing a double RADAR & IR pair, but I've never bothered.

Of course neither Chaff or Flares help with an Optically guided missile, flying good avoidance manoeuvre is the key (applies to all missile types).

I tend to use pretty similar settings, and also have a third set up with longer intervals dispensing both chaff and flare that runs for about 10-15 seconds. I find this very useful when making an attack run where you don't necessarily have the ability to be constantly looking all around you for any IR/AAA threats and want a program running the entire time that you don't have to worry about. I do think dispensing two flares at once would be more effective, not because it would somehow mimic the twin engines but rather that it simply puts out more heat sources faster.

Once we have the updated countermeasure dispensers with increased capacity, our Hornet will be a lot more capable of defending itself, as it stands right now I have to use chaff and flares conservatively if I want to make sure I don't run out before my mission is complete.

PGM 1: Chaff 1, Flare 0, RPT 5, INT 1

PGM 5: Chaff 0, Flare 2, RPT 3, INT 0.5

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I too think that I'm somewhat conservative, but I've found that the below setup offers good results without immediately expending the Hornet's low CMS supplies.

P1. 1 chaff / 1.25s, 5 repeats. My general SAM / Radar A2A missile program. Used for radar guided launches from a long range.

P2. 1 chaff / 0.75s, 5 repeats. My "oh crap" SAM / Radar A2A missile program. Used for radar guided launches from a short range.

P3. 1 flare / 1.50s, 5 repeats. My "preemptive, better safe than sorry" IR program. Used when I'm flying in an environment where an IR missile might head my way without me spotting it visually.

P4. 1 chaff + 1 flare / 1.00s, 4 repeats. My "something wants to kill me and I'm not sure how it's guided" program. Self-explanatory.

P5. 1 flares / 0.50s, 3 repeats. Used after I detect an IR missile launch. Often used two or more times in quick succession.

There's also the slap switch, which acts like a P4+++ program, in my case, but I find it too wasteful and I only used it in really bad scenarios.

Of course, I combing all CMS releases with appropriate evasive maneuvers. Beaming for radar guided threats. Exiting afterburner and trying to place my flares between my plane and the incoming missile, for IR threats.

The best defense is to not be in a position to be fired upon in the first place.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

- Default manual presets
-- MAN 1 - RF SAM Old
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1] = {}
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["chaff"] = 1
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["flare"] = 0
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["intv"]  = 0.5
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["cycle"] = 6

-- MAN 2 - RF SAM New
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2] = {}
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["chaff"] = 2
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["flare"] = 0
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["intv"]  = 0.25
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["cycle"] = 10

-- MAN 3 - IR SAM
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3] = {}
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["chaff"] = 0
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["flare"] = 1
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["intv"]  = 0.75
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["cycle"] = 4

-- MAN 4 - IR Pre-Empt
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4] = {}
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["chaff"] = 0
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["flare"] = 1
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["intv"]  = 5
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["cycle"] = 10

-- MAN 5 - A/A Merge
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5] = {}
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["chaff"] = 2
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["flare"] = 1
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["intv"]  = 0.50
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["cycle"] = 6

-- MAN 6 - Wall Dispense button, Panic
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_6] = {}
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_6]["chaff"] = 0
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_6]["flare"] = 1
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_6]["intv"]  = 0.25
programs[ProgramNames.MAN_6]["cycle"] = 6

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Due to the limited amount, my programs are very restricted - but I have no issue repeatedly using the button on the HOTAS Warthog where I mapped CMS to the Hog’s CMS hat.

Prog1: Single Flare, no repeat.

Prog5: Single Chaff, 2x, 0.5sec.

Should we get larger quantities I would definitely make some more “aggressive” profiles.

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

I dispense manually as well.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Thank you for all your responses.

I didn't know that poping two chaffs at the same time was useful. And also, lazy me, I only configure 2 programs, I even didn't care to set the other default profiles in the lua files. I assume that you set your "default" two programes depending on the expected threat, and if some unexpected thread appears, you change programs... But, in the heat of the fight, are you able to change programs? I mean, when I'm evading SAM (and worse, in AA), I have plenty of work already, I do not think I would be able to also change the programs, but I haven't actually tried ever, it is just a couple of buttons.

Edited by Darcaem

I use the 476 programs. My default is prog 1(aft) for RF SAMs and notching Fox 3s. Prog 5 for the merge because you don't know what missle is coming at you. Also don't forget the wall dispense. Map it and you now have a MANPAD and Fox 2 option. I understand what you're saying about changing the program. The only time I will change it is for prog 4 if I feel like being biligerent and break altitude sanctuary for an accurate CCIP drop around a possible MANPAD threat.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=492

If you set your own program, remember updates will reset the values so keep a copy of your file.

VMFA-122 Crusaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord

I assume that you set your "default" two programes depending on the expected threat, and if some unexpected thread appears, you change programs... But, in the heat of the fight, are you able to change programs?

I don't change mid-engagement. I pick the most relevant program according to the threat I expect to face. That's why SA and familiarization with the mission and theater is important. My "default" setup is to have P1 (5 chaff with some spacing) selected for RF SAM/Radar guided A2A missiles on CMS AFT and if I encounter an IR threat, P5 (3 quick flares) is always available on CMS FWD.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

I don't change mid-engagement. I pick the most relevant program according to the threat I expect to face. That's why SA and familiarization with the mission and theater is important. My "default" setup is to have P1 (5 chaff with some spacing) selected for RF SAM/Radar guided A2A missiles on CMS AFT and if I encounter an IR threat, P5 (3 quick flares) is always available on CMS FWD.

Wall dispense?

VMFA-122 Crusaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord

Wall dispense?
That too, for cases where I'm not sure what I need to use. But I find that more often than not, I know what's been lunched at me.

-

I do it manually too. If the missile was fired from far away, I use chaff. If closer I use flares and maybe some chaff. Helps conserve them.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
TM Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home x64 | 
My HOTAS Profiles

1: 1 Flare, 3 Rpts, 0.25s

5: 1 Chaff, 6 Rpts, 0.25s

Basically ending up in 10 presses each until being dry. Effective enough, but I'd appreciate if ED would increase the flare amount rather sooner than later, it's been reported and acknowledged for ages.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg