DCS AJS-37: Road to Release

Cobra847

42 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

Well, any plane can take out a single SA-10 or 15 by just flying low enough.

Indeed, but not many are as good at NOE flying as the Viggen and very few are as much fun down low as the Viggen is. :wink:

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Indeed, but not many are as good at NOE flying as the Viggen and very few are as much fun down low as the Viggen is. :wink:

Sure, that's also a bit due to the fact that it's way too fast down low and has no damage modelled if you break limitations. The real one would not exceed 1350kph. ~ M1.1

46 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

Well, any plane can take out a single SA-10 or 15 by just flying low enough. I want to see you do that with heavy AAA, IR short range systems and manpads around the area. 😉 

Well, thats not a real Problem for our Viggen Pilots. 

If i build a mission (newer scenarios, not the old "Bullsharks Caucasus Campaign"), a SA-10 site will ever be protected by a mixed  Battery of anti air systems like SA-19, SA-15 and Shilka or Gepards and other small stuff like SA-13.
Manpads are also not a big deal for the Viggen. Their Missiles are mostly to slow to get us. 😄 
-> To be honest, if i build SAM sites i am a little bit sadistic. 😄 

1 hour ago, Skysurfer said:

Sure, that's also a bit due to the fact that it's way too fast down low and has no damage modelled if you break limitations. The real one would not exceed 1350kph. ~ M1.1

If you're carrying any meaningful number of stores you're going to struggle to exceed that speed anyway. Honestly the Mach 1.3 meme only really applies to airquake people who only carry RB 74s. I would like to see it fixed, but it's not thaaaat big of a deal for strike missions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLTeo said:

If you're carrying any meaningful number of stores you're going to struggle to exceed that speed anyway. Honestly the Mach 1.3 meme only really applies to airquake people who only carry RB 74s. I would like to see it fixed, but it's not thaaaat big of a deal for strike missions.

Agreed. It really only happens with an A2A loadout or clean. Thing is a literal rocket lol.

19 minutes ago, Skysurfer said:

Agreed. It really only happens with an A2A loadout or clean. Thing is a literal rocket lol.

At the same time, the dry thrust seems underwhelming.  The jet struggles to get off the ground without afterburner.

• Like 3

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

To be fair, it's a commercial airliner engine with an afterburner strapped on, you get almost twice the thrust going from dry to AB. IRL it would take off in full burner even when carrying just the centerline tank:

You can even see the 3 AB zones kicking in one after the other.

Edited by TLTeo

33 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

IRL it would take off in full burner even when carrying just the centerline tank

Interesting. I read elsewhere on these forums that IRL mil power takeoffs were common, and that AB takeoff was limited to stage 2 to avoid damaging the runway. I don't know how reliable the source was. 

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

52 minutes ago, ftmch said:

Chuck's guide says takeoff is restricted to level 2 because at level 3 you might exceed the gear operating speed before they've retracted. It doesn't seem to be modelled in DCS.

No, the gear are unsensitive to high speed. I've tested this a few days ago.

AJS37_gear_dont_mind_airdspeed.trk

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Yea that can't be the reason why one would use zone 2, the speed limit on the gear is like 600 km/h. And again, in the video I posted all the jets are clearly using full AB. Besides, if you need to take off in only a few hundred meters with a combat loadout (as the Viggen was designed to do), you need zone 3, there's no way around that.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 2

Procedures for the real aircraft permit but discourage takeoff in mil power, noting that the acceleration is poor and the rate of climb low, and as such even with a long runway available environmental factors (such as wind and temperature) and the presence of any obstacles beyond the end of the runway must be considered carefully. If the afterburner is used, the thrust level must be above the middle of zone 2 - in other words, takeoffs in zone 1 and the lower half of zone 2 are prohibited. The SFI doesn't specify exactly why, it just mentions something about the safety systems that handle afterburner flameouts.

As far as I know the usual thing to do was takeoff in max zone 2 when a full length runway was available, and max zone 3 for short takeoffs (on e.g. road bases like the BAS90 800 meter strips) and when carrying heavy payloads. Short takeoff is a special procedure though with its own set of rotation speeds, and the procedures also explicitly say to throttle up to max zone 3 with brakes applied and only letting go of the brakes early if the aircraft starts to skid. Overspeeding the landing gear is mentioned as a concern but as far as I understand it it's mentioned just to remind the pilot not to delay gear retraction.

Basically, obey this illustration from the aerodynamics compendium:

gLMwIK0.png

"Use afterburner, fool!"

Edited by renhanxue
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Hey guys,

We're burning the midnight oil here at HB currently on many different fronts. There will be a longer update on this quite soon. However, right now- the cutoffs for the March patch are quite wide and we are unlikely to manage to bring the Viggen out of EA before the April update. The Viggen is the top priority at present.

Specifically, there are a lot of big changes being added to the Viggen: A complete PBR overhaul, complete overhaul of the paint kit for usability, various fixes, corrections, exterior sound overhaul and just a boatload of random stuff across the entire module. (Tertiary air hatch, anyone?).  It's unlikely to be everything you want it to be, and we may split it into parts, but out of EA doesn't mean we stop. It just means we consider it feature complete and that we can focus on fixing bugs and polishing down any remaining uglies.

Keep the faith; we're working as hard as we can and the team is pushing hard on this!

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 14

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

On 3/13/2021 at 6:24 AM, Cobra847 said:

Hey guys,

We're burning the midnight oil here at HB currently on many different fronts. There will be a longer update on this quite soon. However, right now- the cutoffs for the March patch are quite wide and we are unlikely to manage to bring the Viggen out of EA before the April update. The Viggen is the top priority at present.

Specifically, there are a lot of big changes being added to the Viggen: A complete PBR overhaul, complete overhaul of the paint kit for usability, various fixes, corrections, exterior sound overhaul and just a boatload of random stuff across the entire module. (Tertiary air hatch, anyone?).  It's unlikely to be everything you want it to be, and we may split it into parts, but out of EA doesn't mean we stop. It just means we consider it feature complete and that we can focus on fixing bugs and polishing down any remaining uglies.

Keep the faith; we're working as hard as we can and the team is pushing hard on this!

Many many thanks... We are waiting for 😉

• Like 1

alpiinoo_signature.png.92e62da0731ec62ed4f4cd1e7f958385-removebg-preview.png

On 3/13/2021 at 4:24 AM, Cobra847 said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick update. Sounds promising! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey guys,

Cobra, thank you for chiming in here and good to hear a lot of work is going on in the background on the Viggen.

That being said, I would honestly appreciate a bit more developer presence on the Viggen forums. Contrary to things in the F-14 forums, bug reports here rarely ever get any official reply or even acknowledgement and it has been that way for a long time.

So we have no idea, what things you are keeping track of and what may have gone completely unnoticed or slipped by. Especially in the lead-up to 

-out of early access- .

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:24 AM, Cobra847 said:

Hey guys,

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Oh well, thanks for being honest at least! I do hope you guys reconsider your future projects in this regard and realise that having two modules in EA at the same time + giving release window promises does not seem to be a good idea. 

Excited to see the Viggen finally leave EA and fly the heck out of that thing again nevertheless. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Is it too late to ask for dynamic tail numbers for the standard skins?

• Like 4

signature.png

• 2 months later...

For me HB is the best 3rd party, i love the Viggen ( F14 too) and i thx the entire team for the great quality modules.

However, every wednesday, i wait, i wait the next patch to discover the treasure... At the same time i see huge changelogs for Mirage , F14, F18 but no major improvments since 2 updates for the "Thunder"...

My question is: when the mighty Viggen will be out of EA? or What is the next road map for it?

I ma very sorry to write this because the Viggen is my fav module and i enjoy his/her philosophy, i enjoy HB.

Best regards to the whole team

Edited by Spirale
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  •  

For me HB is the best 3rd party, i love the Viggen ( F14 too) and i thx the entire team for the great quality modules.

However, every wednesday, i wait, i wait the next patch to discover the treasure... At the same time i see huge changelogs for Mirage , F14, F18 but no major improvments since 2 updates for the "Thunder"...

My question is: when the mighty Viggen will be out of EA? or What is the next road map for it?

I ma very sorry to write this because the Viggen is my fav module and i enjoy his/her philosophy, i enjoy HB.

Best regards to the whole team

No answer...Has the Viggen been forgotten? No interest anymore? Is he a victim of the success of the Tomcat?

Edited by Spirale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpiinoo said:

I agree with you. I have same questions.

HB said a few months ago they are pushing to get the Viggen out of Early Access in an upcoming update. 

• Like 1