MPCD - do people use it ?

Andy t

I find not using MPCD that much - primarily relying on the two DDI. The primary reason is its location at the bottom and the fact that I only have 2 Warthog MFDs.

I find the easiest way to see it is in the HUD only view (ALT F1) or when I zoom and look down in the cockpit. Otherwise, it takes a while to look at it and I have to hide the stick. What do others do? I would also love to read about real pilot's experience with lower mounted displays.

Not an RL pilot here but I have 3 TM cougar mfds and trackIR so I am able to use it easily. I also hide the stick by default so that isn't an issue.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Not an RL pilot here but I have 3 TM cougar mfds and trackIR so I am able to use it easily. I also hide the stick by default so that isn't an issue.

Cheers

The same here with my TM cougars, and control stick to set to hide by default.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

GB

what would the "normal" or trained up pattern be for each of the following in regards to DDI use, i.e. what is initially trained as standard ops to have what screen on which ddi?:

1. A/A - RDR attack in right ddi [since that's where the system seems to default it], SA on mpcd, and stores on left ddi?

2. A/G - FLIR on mpcd (for contrast), SA on right ddi, stores on left ddi

3. Generally nav cruise - HSI on right ddi, fpas on left ddi, ew on mpcd?

Obviously i'm just throwing this at the wall as generalities.

Thanks!

I'm certainly not a real Hornet pilot, but we can make some educated assumptions based on the system defaults and HOTAS functions:

HSI and SA are the primarily intended use for the MPCD.

A/A mode uses Attack Radar on right DDI and Stores on the left DDI. I believe A/G defaults to the same, but we don't have functional A/G radar yet.

From what I've read on other threads here the FLIR on the Hornet uses the same display driver as the DDIs, so IRL it doesn't actually look much different on the MPCD as it does on the DDIs and still displays in greenscale on the MPCD.

Personally, I generally leave the SA page on the MPCD all the time, and I have no problem glancing down at it with TrackIR. For A/A and cruising I typically replace the Stores page on the left DDI with the EW page, as I find it more useful and don't really need the Stores page for A/A right now. When returning to the boat I'll set the left DDI to the HSI, so I can glance down at it quickly for a fast TACAN reference to the carrier and BRC.

I use the MPCD for the S/A page most of the time. My left and right DDIs typically show a TAC page on the right and a SUP page on the left.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS X570-PLUS, NVidia RTX 2080, 32GB DDR4 @2400MHz, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Corsair H100i cooler, Oculus Rift S.

GB

what would the "normal" or trained up pattern be for each of the following in regards to DDI use, i.e. what is initially trained as standard ops to have what screen on which ddi?:

1. A/A - RDR attack in right ddi [since that's where the system seems to default it], SA on mpcd, and stores on left ddi?

2. A/G - FLIR on mpcd (for contrast), SA on right ddi, stores on left ddi

3. Generally nav cruise - HSI on right ddi, fpas on left ddi, ew on mpcd?

Obviously i'm just throwing this at the wall as generalities.

Thanks!

I won't get into any details here. Although, I think you guys will rethink a few things once you get the AZ/EL page.

Also use the AMPCD for the SA page. GREAT way to maintain SA of what is going on around you and I leave it like that regardless of the mode I am in. I also only have 2 TM MFDs so any clicking on the AMPCD would have to be manual but I don't need to change anything on the SA page so not an issue.

I also hide the stick by default so that isn't an issue.

Cheater. :smilewink:

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I love the moving map. It's almost an EP if the moving map goes Tango Uniform. How else are you going to navigate anywhere??

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Wow this is interesting. I haven't been using the MPVD for much at all. To me it may be multi colored (which should be a lot better than grey or green scale) but it looks pretty bad and the on screen labels for the off screen buttons are nearly invisible. I need to try some of the uses mentioned here. One thing I could use it for would be the SA page because that shows the coverage of the various SAM sights. I have been flipping back and forth on the right DDI between SA and radar attack which is a pain. OP, thanks for bringing up this subject.

Cheater. :smilewink:
I know right, it keeps me up at night thinking about the loss of immersion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

I love the moving map. It's almost an EP if the moving map goes Tango Uniform. How else are you going to navigate anywhere??
I can't seem to be able to find it in the user files but there is a mod that let's you dim the map with the brightness knob. It makes seeing the text and symbology much easier while still being able to use the map for referencing where you're at. Still waiting to see of the rocker switches will be implemented and if they will allow the same amount of brightness/contrast control that we have in the Hog.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't seem to be able to find it in the user files but there is a mod that let's you dim the map with the brightness knob. It makes seeing the text and symbology much easier while still being able to use the map for referencing where you're at. Still waiting to see of the rocker switches will be implemented and if they will allow the same amount of brightness/contrast control that we have in the Hog.

Yeah, functional brightness/contrast rocker switches are most welcome! Especially since the new 2.5.6 lighting is so much brighter

On topic:

I also use the MPCD a lot

My standard setup after egress is:

MPCD = SA page

LDDI = stores management

RDDI = A/A radar or TPOD (depending AA or AG mission)

I guess in VR it's easier to quickly check the MPCD than on a pancake (without TrackIR)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

^^^ Must be a Canadian thing eh?
Speaking of which check out this friggin hoser eh.

Not the Charlie hornet but at least an example of an RL hornet driver talking about what he uses in the mpcd.

Skip to around 1:40.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With a VR goggle the MPCD is always in view

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Yup, I'm a VR user as well, and glancing around the stick is not a problem. I also use it for the S/A page 99% of the time, to free up the DDIs for other screens. Having a 3rd MFD is extremely helpful :-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset