How do you land in awful bad weather on an airstrip without ILS?

d0ppler

ILS is not a requirement of IFR nor during instrument meteorological conditions. As long as you have the required flight instruments and follow ATC you can land.

Now in game we do not have a proper ATC so IFR with IMC landings without ILS are a lot harder as we do not get feedback, unless a human GCI is on.

DCS is lacking in ATC/aifield interaction, but it is supposed to be improved on in the future (properly working runway lights, better ATC).

For now, white knuckle it till touchdown! To be honest I don't remember the last time I used ILS in game...

Ok, I must read up on TACAN approach.

It would be cool with a MP server reading latest METARs for the area they are in and fed them into the game. Dynamic, off course :)

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Ifr approach charts help too. Caucasus and navada has great coverage. Pg not so much.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

A-10 has a pretty smart toy, called the CDU.

Check out http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?3861-Night-Landing-without-instruments&p=41499&viewfull=1#post41499 or just read my quoted section below of how to land without an ILS or TACAN.

In his book "Viper pilot", Dan Hampton describes a situation where they have to land at Ali al-Salem, that has no IFV charts.

It's night. There's a sandstorm, with only a quarter mile visibility. There's 10 of them.

He flies to the airport, get's a markpoint on the beginning of the runway and communicates the L/L and elevation with all the others.

That point they use to get themselves on the ground.

Something like that can be done in DCS.

Get yourself a markpoint of the beginning of the ruwnway.

You make a mission waypoint out of that markpoint with following settings:

SCALE: APPROACH

VNAV MODE: 3D

VANGEL: ENTERED

value for VANGLE: -3.0 ("glideslope" angle)

gpsnav.png~original

You can use that waypoint as a steerpoint to get yourself on the ground.

Just verified it. Works like a charm.

So, you have that going for you if there are no other options available.

gpsnav2.png~original

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Ok, I must read up on TACAN approach.

It would be cool with a MP server reading latest METARs for the area they are in and fed them into the game. Dynamic, off course :)

Go try the instant action mission "Hard landing" for the C-101.

Enjoy!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

That's because everybody makes day CAVOK missions... both in SP and MP.

Especially in MP :(

Check out http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?3861-Night-Landing-without-instruments&p=41499&viewfull=1#post41499 or just read my quoted section below of how to land without an ILS or TACAN.

Amazing, I'm flying the A-10C for almost 10 years now and didn't know that such approach parameters could be entered for waypoints.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks =Panther=! The CDU is a bit intimidating for me, since I've just recently started to learn this airframe, but of course, the answer lies in the CDU :D

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

Do you have to use the F10 map to get the lat & long and elevation coordinates? This use case assumes that you can't see the runway, correct?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Do you have to use the F10 map to get the lat & long and elevation coordinates? This use case assumes that you can't see the runway, correct?

F10 map, airport chart, overheard markpoint, SPI from another flight member - you can get pretty creative. ;)

I would tune to airport tacan, dial the course heading to runway heading, intercept the course some 5 miles away from tacan. By then I should be about 2000ft AGL, and flying toward ta tacan then adjust to land

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Title says it all. Are there any old school ways to do this, or do you divert to an ILS supported airfield?

If you have a friend, also playing DCS and using LOTATC you could fly a PAR while he/she is talking you down.

Hilsen

LGB

In the example I had set the touchdown point to approach mode.

Setting it to terminal mode, gives you a more precise approach.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro

I don't understand this? If he can fly to the airfield and get a mark point. Why can't the whole group do it and land? How did he do it without ILS or Tacan?

Buzz

The CDU has a DIVERT page, which shows you all the nearby airfields with their coordinates and I think elevation too.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't understand this? If he can fly to the airfield and get a mark point. Why can't the whole group do it and land? How did he do it without ILS or Tacan?

He was taking one for the team. It's better to have one guy fly into terrain than to have the whole group do it. If he could make it, then they all could, but first, he had to make it. If he didn't make it, the rest of them could try something else.

In the case of an airfield, the elevation of the touchdown zone is known from the charts, but not the precise coordinates. Often, the airfield location noted on any documentation is taken from somewhere else on the field. So, the idea of overflying the runway and marking its position is pretty smart, even though it's desperate.

The answer to your last question is almost certainly "luck".There must have been enough visibility for him to see the immediately surrounding terrain (enough to avoid flying into the ground) if not the required distance for a marginal VFR approach, but he also had to have been relying on his "spidey senses".

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

How would this be applied to DCS?

The OP asked how to land at an airbase in bad weather without ILS.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The OP asked how to land at an airbase in bad weather without ILS.

I was asking how the example you posted could be applied to DCS?

I'll ask you in a different way. The weather is so bad you can't see more than 100ft. ILS and Tacan are not available. F10 is arcade and can't be used. How do you find a specific airfield?

Buzz

I was asking how the example you posted could be applied to DCS?

I'll ask you in a different way. The weather is so bad you can't see more than 100ft. ILS and Tacan are not available. F10 is arcade and can't be used. How do you find a specific airfield?

1) Pull up divert page.

2) Fly over selected airfield.

3) Pull yellow handles.

4) Once on ground, find familiar road.

5) Walk to the O Club.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/