Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

@Taz1004 : Very good work here. I have a very practical question to ask you. For my FP I have made specific smoke defense systems for tanks. (Smoke grenades, via a script). With your knowledge on the smoke question, do you think it is possible on my side to find a way to create new smokes which actually would more or less look like this :

Ie : "smoke ball" instead of a big smoke column ? Or the only thing you can actually do is change parameters on already existing column types smokes ?

I can't wait to try the beta in the next few days! Personal Thanks to Taz for your contributions!

Initial Testing:

• Missile trail looked the same (GOOD) using beta and non beta SP v6 on F14, F16 and F18.
  • Contrail - effect changed to strange Cotton Balls with Better Smoke v6 SP beta. See Attachments.

(In the past Cotton Ball Smoke / Contrails was caused by my AMD Card being set with too low of a Tesselation value)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name: DCS Better Smoke v6 SP Contrail.png Views: 91 Size: 1.59 MB ID: 7123231","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7123231","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name: DCS Better Smoke v6 SP Beta Contrail.png Views: 87 Size: 1.57 MB ID: 7123232","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7123232","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

Thank you for that detailed report. I found the source of the issue and will update the beta in next couple days. I just need to adjust to find good looking value.

BTW, are you using VR or TrackIR? You never had the missile trail flipping like in this video?

@Taz1004 : Very good work here. I have a very practical question to ask you. For my FP I have made specific smoke defense systems for tanks. (Smoke grenades, via a script). With your knowledge on the smoke question, do you think it is possible on my side to find a way to create new smokes which actually would more or less look like this :

Ie : "smoke ball" instead of a big smoke column ? Or the only thing you can actually do is change parameters on already existing column types smokes ?

That is very possible with by adjusting current FireVehicle.lua. Do you just need me to tell you which values to tweak?

BTW, are you using VR or TrackIR? You never had the missile trail flipping like in this video?

I am using TrackIR.

Result:

• F16 Missles Smoke Trails are looking good in Both v6 and v6 Beta.
  • With v6 and v6 beta, I did see a slight rotation of missile smoke when viewing from behind and when I shifted my paused view along certain x-axis and y-axis, but it was very uniform and expected. Nothing like the "violent" flipping in your example video.
  • Can I assume the issue is more noticeable in VR when compared to 2D/TrackIR?

How I tested:

• With an F16, I fired a few AIM-9M and AIM-120B, then Paused.
  • I used the F6 view to take different angles behind the missile trails and rotated my head and or mouse to change view angles of the missile trail.

I hope others viewing this thread can add their observations and help you out in any way they can.

Cheers!

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Better Smoke v6 Beta (New File) Initial Testing:

• Contrail - effect of strange Cotton Balls with Better Smoke v6 SP beta. IS CONFIRMED RESOLVED no Attachments necessary. GREAT!
  • Airshow Smoke - has strange Cotton Balls with Better Smoke v6 SP beta. See attachments.
    • Cotton balls observed with MB-339PAN via Batumi Airshow mission. Also duplicated with smoke on L-39 Als Aerobatics mission
    • Any Module with Smoke should show cotton balls with v6 SP beta
    • 216419015_DCS2020-11-0522-32-46v6SPSmoke.thumb.png.459d8c0f61531e0c1e3c38a8e36d3312.png 579735750_DCS2020-11-0522-36-53v6SPBetaSmoke.thumb.png.229eb1fbd3c1f09c2c20b1a86a77a3f3.png

• Like 1
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Better Smoke v6 Beta (New File) Initial Testing:

• Contrail - effect of strange Cotton Balls with Better Smoke v6 SP beta. IS CONFIRMED RESOLVED no Attachments necessary. GREAT!
  • Airshow Smoke - has strange Cotton Balls with Better Smoke v6 SP beta. See attachments.
    • Cotton balls observed with MB-339PAN via Batumi Airshow mission. Also duplicated with smoke on L-39 Als Aerobatics mission
    • Any Module with Smoke should show cotton balls with v6 SP beta
    • [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":7128904}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":7128905}[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the report. How do I enable airshow smoke? Do I need the module?

• Like 1

Thanks for the report. How do I enable airshow smoke? Do I need the module?

Two ways to see or use airshow smoke that I know of are:

1. Load a mission that has AI planes using smoke (see attachment with some AI L-39's and the free Su25-T as a chase plane)
  2. If you have a plane that has a smoke option in the weapons PODS you can load them in the Loadout Editor inside Mission editor.
    • some planes with "smokewinder" are: A-4E-C, C-101EB, CEII, Edge 540, F-5E, MB-339PAN

[L-39] {Su-25T}AIs Aerobatics.miz

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 1

I noticed smoke plumes disappear in and out of distance at certain angles? any particular setting for clipping that might cause this?

Hard to respond to that. I'm not sure what you're referring to as "plumes". Vehicle or building or airplane or clouds? Which version of the game and the mod?

Hard to respond to that. I'm not sure what you're referring to as "plumes". Vehicle or building or airplane or clouds? Which version of the game and the mod?

Smoke stacks on the ground from whatever the destroyed object. They tend to just vanish and come back at certain FOVs, distances (when zooming). Which settings control that? I think default ones blend in much better... I suppose it is related to terrain41 settings?

I'm running OB latest obviously. V6 MP, High vis settings with Mustangs shaders mod.

Thanks for the help!

Отправлено с моего STV100-2 через Tapatalk

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Smoke stacks on the ground from whatever the destroyed object. They tend to just vanish and come back at certain FOVs, distances (when zooming). Which settings control that? I think default ones blend in much better... I suppose it is related to terrain41 settings?

I'm running OB latest obviously. V6 MP, High vis settings with Mustangs shaders mod.

Thanks for the help!

Отправлено с моего STV100-2 через Tapatalk

Whatever the destroyed object means its happening to all smokes? Each smoke have different files so if it is happening to all, it's probably not this mod. I didn't change terrain41. May be related to LOD or visibility distance. It's hard to say if I can't reproduce it.

Yes thats what I mean, which setting controls the distance blend of smoke or LODs. Any ideas? Like a smoke draw distance setting? Ill test the difference between say Ultra and High and see if that changes something... just the fps is a concern

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Updated to V7

Couple minor but requested updates. These are IC compatible and all versions are updated.

Also fixed airshow smoke for Beta.

Water Explosion: Turned down glowingly bright splash and added some blueish tint to blend better with the water.

BetterSmoke_v7_02.jpg

Landing Smoke: Reduced size and brightness.

BetterSmoke_v7_03.jpg

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

Fantastic work Taz, I've just noticed that the new version doesn't include the \Bazar\Textures\TerrainCommon\voronka_ground file, is the ommision on purpuse?

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

I love the mod. Thank you very much!

my only question (to ED) is: why isn't it implemented this way in the vanilla version of DCS?! Because this mod looks so much better than the standard smoke.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Fantastic work Taz, I've just noticed that the new version doesn't include the \Bazar\Textures\TerrainCommon\voronka_ground file, is the ommision on purpuse?

That one and rain is moved to SP version as people kept reporting IC issues. You can copy it from SP version if you didn't have issues.

• Like 1

Thanks for the hard work!

Anyway, the Water Explosion is breaking the IC (MP version 7).

I have the red shield on top of the server list and "Pure client required" message on servers requiring pure textures.

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

Taz you're the man!

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

First words that popped into my head when I saw the update to this thread. ..... OMG! :clap_2: And Airshow smoke is 100%.. . Taz, are you going to save anything for 2021?

1139437179_DCS2020-WaterV6SP.thumb.png.3d718710532d2218a825fa309f702b47.png 762242146_DCS2020-WaterV7SP.thumb.png.351dc3caed674a3fb07caefaa511324f.png

UPDATED TO V7

BetterSmoke_v7_01.jpg

Here's my attempt at improving smoke. This mod may eventually expand to other particle effects like explosions.

Aim was to create feeling of flying through a battle zone.

Changed in v7

1. Touchdown Smoke
  2. Water explosion
  3. Slight value adjustments

Water Explosion

BetterSmoke_v7_02.jpg

Touchdown Smoke

BetterSmoke_v7_03.jpg

INSTALL:Extract to main DCS install path. OvGME or other Mod Managers recommended.

If you have any other mod that modifies particles, you must install this mod last and overwrite.

DOWNLOAD:

Single player: Better Smoke V7 SP

Multi player: Better Smoke V7 MP

Below is beta version with missile trail fix discussed here

This version works for me without problem but I cannot test all missile trails as I do not have all modules.

If you'd like to help test, please try and report any issues with missile trails.

Single Player Beta: Better Smoke V7 SP Beta

11-03-2020: Fixed contrails

11-12-2020: Fixed airshow smokes

excellent without modifiers like your dcs it would simply be a disaster congratulations for your good work and cooperation for our dcs community a question When you say for a player and for a multiplayer what is the difference? So if I have it only as a player, I can't enter another server? Or if I only have it as a multiplayer, couldn't it have the effect as a single player? Please explain the difference of the two or is it one or the other for everything really that part confuses at least to me thanks again!!!!