Right Click/Left Click switch consistency

Hinkey

Seems like most(?) modules use the convention of right click moves a switch up and left click moves it down. It would be nice if A-10 conformed to this.

Also switches that stop at their limits rather than rotating through. In other words left click multiple times on a switch and it goes to its lowest position then stops rather than cycling to the top and continuing to move.

• 2 weeks later...

+99999999

If it could just be the same set-up across every module that would be great.

RMB for forwards/upwards/right/clockwise and LMB for backwards/downwards/left/counter-clockwise

There's also the question of what switches should cycle if any.

Most seem to have just the 2 position switches cycle, but others do not, as well as using the R/LMB convention above (which is what I prefer).

The Yak-52 uses the convention above, but no cycling, you always have to use the right mouse button to move switches in the desired direction.

Some modules (usually the older ones) may or may not use the convention above with the mouse buttons, but typically have switches that cycle (you can keep clicking with the same mouse button and the switch will cycle back and forth).

I made a fairly comprehensive list here.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Left/Right click behavior

Not sure if this is a bug or wishlist...

I'm happy the left/right click behavior has been standardized in this module but, can we prevent rollover? I want to spam right click on a switch and not have it flip down to the bottom position. Just like my fingers would feel for it and push it up in case it's not up.

Sometimes it's deceptive based on perception if a toggle is in the middle or up position. Its brutal to have the system power off when you're just trying to ensure it's on.

Mouse Click Switchology Changes

I am happy to find that many of the A10C II switches are right clicked to turn up. Thank you.

So far I have found a few that aren't.

The Counter Measure Signal Processing Panel switches are left click to turn up or on. and right click to move to the momentary test. It may feel more ergonomic to be switched around.

(MWS, JMR, RWR, DISP)

the temp/press Norm RAM switch on the Environmental Panel

Not sure if this is a bug or wishlist...

I'm happy the left/right click behavior has been standardized in this module but, can we prevent rollover? I want to spam right click on a switch and not have it flip down to the bottom position. Just like my fingers would feel for it and push it up in case it's not up.

Sometimes it's deceptive based on perception if a toggle is in the middle or up position. Its brutal to have the system power off when you're just trying to ensure it's on.

+1 exactly!

I would like to see consistency but in my head the left button should be on just as it is used to toggle on and off push switches.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Found another switch problem. The ground arm guarded switch and zeroise guarded switch do not turn off when the cover is closed. I am not sure about the A10 Specifically but in every plane i've flown, switch guards like that force the switch off when closed.

There is at least one switch guard on my jet that don't return the switch to a specific position. They tend to be black switch guards, but they do exist.

Mouse left/right buttons reversed?

I noticed that when clicking switches in the cockpit that have 3 positions, e.g. position lights switch or IFFCC switch, the function of left/right mouse button is reversed.

In the A-10C, left click would move the IFFCC switch up, and right click would move it down.

In the A-10C II, it's reversed and it's screwing with my head :lol:

Is this deliberate? Is there any way to change it?

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

I would like to see consistency but in my head the left button should be on just as it is used to toggle on and off push switches.

Every rotary/dial is turn right to on, left to off. Switched, right up/on, left down/off.

Push buttons... well, they toggle and should work with both left and right click, there is no obvious on/off with a toggle.

Mate, this is one of the few things that drives me really nuts :doh:

Mouse clicks / switches should be consistent throughout all modules. Not even different from my old hog to the hornet - now also differs from hog old to hog new...

Each time I want to change/switch on/off day/night etc I'm wondering whats going to happen...Master Caution or not...place your bets

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

I read another thread that said the behaviour in A-10C II (right click for up, left for down) brings it inline with other modules.. is this right? I haven't spent as much time flying other aircraft.

If it makes it consistent with the rest of DCS then I think it's probably better to just get used to it :huh:

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

Right, the A-10C II behaves more like e.g. the Hornet now. I think it will take some time to reset my muscle memories but we're one the right way now.

Just abandon the old Hog then :cry:

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Every rotary/dial is turn right to on, left to off. Switched, right up/on, left down/off.

Push buttons... well, they toggle and should work with both left and right click, there is no obvious on/off with a toggle.

Push buttons don't work with the right button though. I don't use a mouse but mapped buttons on multiple button boxes to left & right mouse.

To select a push button I click on the mapped left mouse.

So if I turn on a bunch of buttons and switches I press left for the former and right for the latter. It seems counter intuitive in my head!

Plus if a switch only uses one mouse button for on and off it is always the left. So I end up clicking left for some and right for the other, sometimes switching it the wrong way. If the standard was left for on then it would work for all switches whether the right button was used or not.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I would very much appreciate "dead end" linear switches. Even two-state switches should be one button for A and one button for B.

On the other hand momentary spring buttons should use both inputs as activation, e.g. anti-g suit valve test button.

Combo switch-smooth rotary controls would be nice to click-drag. E.g. TCN volume knob could use one of the MB as a toggle state and the other MB as a click-to-drag for the rotary action. Right now they are dead end linear switches with RMB pull and LMB push.

Controls which are solely rotary should allow either RMB or LMB as click to drag. There's no reason to have either input simply do nothing. E.g. intercom VOL knob.

Three-state with spring action on one end are weird in DCS. E.g EW MWS switch which uses LMB to toggle between the first two states and RMB to jump to the third spring-loaded state. I think a much more natural implementation is for RMB to increase from state 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 (against spring) and LMB to go from state 2 to 1. That would be much more consistent with the other switches.

CMFD OFF NT DAY switch is a rotary and doesn't continue with the right-clockwise, left-anticlockwise convention of other rotary switches. This was changed recently and should be changed back.

There are only 3 mouseover icon types: action, switch, and rotary and yet there are lots of switch types than just these three. It would be nice for the icon on mouse over to be unique to each switch type and have enough information encoded within the symbol to tell you what LMB, RMB, MW, etc. would do even if you knew nothing about that switch.

Perhaps curvy arrows show rotation, straight arrows show linear change, hollow symbols show spring loaded, solid symbols show non-spring loaded, green for RMB, blow for LMB. Arrows into cross lines showing dead end actions, no stop line for cycling. Maybe a different symbol for a toggle. I don't know but I think there's room for improvement.

This is absolutely welcome change for me.

BTW, I found a few exceptions.

1. Fire Exting Disch: L Click goes right.

2. MFCD Switch: R Click turns Left.

3. TEMP/PRESS switch: R Click goes down.

These three switches needs to be corrected.

Switch Logic

Hello,

I appreciate that ED finally changes the way 3-way toggle switch works.

I really like that.

Generally, R Click makes switches turn right and up and L Click left and down.

But I found a few of switches works different.

1. Fire Exting Disch: L Click goes right.

2. MFCD Switch: R Click turns Left.

3. TEMP/PRESS switch: R Click goes down.

These three switches needs to be corrected.

Thanks in advance.