Do Nvidia Settings matter or not??

Brainfreeze

Guys,

confused right now... Do the Nvidia settings in the Nvidia control panel impact the game or not??

Reading conflicting stuff and on my gear (RTX 2080 super) it does not seem to have any impact at all when I select/change stuff on the Nvidia control panel and apply...

Definitive answer or not?:(

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I have never been able to get MSAA to work when forced via the Nvidia control panel myself. However I have been able to get FXAA to work in the past. I used to set prefer maximum performance for DCS but never really noticed any performance improvement.

So from what I can tell the answer would be, kind of. It just depends what settings you decide to change.

I have never been able to get MSAA to work when forced via the Nvidia control panel myself. However I have been able to get FXAA to work in the past. I used to set prefer maximum performance for DCS but never really noticed any performance improvement.

So from what I can tell the answer would be, kind of. It just depends what settings you decide to change.

I use nvidia profile inspector, you get to tune additional settings such as Sparse Grid SSAA which works very well alongside the DCS 4 x MSAA setting.

sc3VI7t.jpg

Mustang: Is the profile inspector telling you if the software is actually taking advantage of the function or not? that is really what I'd like to know given that there are so many settings already I'd rather fly than fiddle with 3D acronyms :-)

Since graphics are so core to DCS World it would be useful if the developpers would give us some info...hopefully they do know most of these answers :-)

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

depends on the setting MSAA FXAA etc.. i see almost no difference (and any difference that is there i am sure its in my head) .

some settings really matter; see my sig for the ones i think make a difference

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Mustang: Is the profile inspector telling you if the software is actually taking advantage of the function or not? that is really what I'd like to know given that there are so many settings already I'd rather fly than fiddle with 3D acronyms :-)

Since graphics are so core to DCS World it would be useful if the developpers would give us some info...hopefully they do know most of these answers :-)

You can visibly tell the difference if it's working or not, image quality is substancially improved try it yourself and see.

edit: here was an encoder test I did a short time ago today, I'm using 4xMSAA along with 4xSGSSAA (RTX 2080 8gb) at 1920x1080.

P.S: Sparse Grid also works in VR, massively reduces shimmer on textures/edges.

Edited by Mustang

The biggest bang I got from nvidia settings was setting Sync to FAST, turning off Vsync and Frame rate limiter. I have a 1080Ti and this gave me consistently high frame rates with fairly high settings.

Vsync can be set to on,off or fast. You said you set Sync to fast but you also said you set it to off. I'm confused.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

You can visibly tell the difference if it's working or not, image quality is substancially improved try it yourself and see.

edit: here was an encoder test I did a short time ago today, I'm using 4xMSAA along with 4xSGSSAA (RTX 2080 8gb) at 1920x1080.

Well That is the reason for my post...I do not see any difference whatsoever playing with Nvidia settings, only those in DCS / System

tried it, couldnt really see a difference in shimmering, did in frame rate though added nearly 2ms to my frame time ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hello,

I found this quite helpful.

How to get the best Anti-aliasing graphic settings in DCS

DCS NVIDIA GRAPHICS PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATION SETTINGS GUIDE V.2 for DCS 2.5

Thanks to the creators.

I then optimized my in-game setting to get reasonable CPU-frametimes; given the custom-presets I have a "beauty-setting" and a "performance-setting"

---

i7-4771, 1070Ti, 32 GB-DDR3 (Win7, 451.67-driver)

Guys,

confused right now... Do the Nvidia settings in the Nvidia control panel impact the game or not??

Reading conflicting stuff and on my gear (RTX 2080 super) it does not seem to have any impact at all when I select/change stuff on the Nvidia control panel and apply...

Definitive answer or not?:(

They impact the game for sure. And as I posted here, +30 fps is definitely worth it for me.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4487862&postcount=118

Two possibilities.

1. You're not doing it right. In this case, we need to know exactly what you're changing and how.
  2. There is change but you're not noticing it. If this is the case, I guess it wouldn't matter if it works or not.

And it depends on the system and setting. Difference in AA will be very difficult to notice in 4K vs 1080P or VR. Unless you take a screen capture like I did and compare under microscope. Any performance setting may be limited by your CPU... etc.

Edited by Taz1004

The biggest bang I got from nvidia settings was setting Sync to FAST, turning off Vsync and Frame rate limiter. I have a 1080Ti and this gave me consistently high frame rates with fairly high settings.

Vsync fast and off are basically the same thing. With fast on, frames beyond the speed of your monitor are drawn internally, but not displayed so that you don't have tearing. I find that fast has the obnoxious tendency to introduce a visual stutter when running right around the refresh rate of the monitor.

Vsync fast and off are basically the same thing. With fast on, frames beyond the speed of your monitor are drawn internally, but not displayed so that you don't have tearing. I find that fast has the obnoxious tendency to introduce a visual stutter when running right around the refresh rate of the monitor.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Turn off Frame Rate Limiter and Set Nvidia sync to Fast. Then turn off Vsync in game settings. Yes, it's not quite perfect. I can always find some little glitch here and there.

Thanks cavalier889! I played around with it some more, and Nvidia Sync On is better than Fast. No tearing.

Awesome Mi-8 flying, whose is the pilot and does he have a Twitch/Youtube channel ? (i'm trying to master it too)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

Fast Vsync works really well for me too.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Where is this setting, I don't see it in the Nvida settings for DCS?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).