[CORRECT AS IS] TGP boresight

mlb406

i just hotkey'd the two buttons to turn the TPOD to standby and back to air to ground. two quick button presses and the TPOD is boresighted.

Nice! how did you do that?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I'm curious what all the commotion is. I don't think I've ever needed to boresight the TGP. What's the use case? Too see where you're going? o)

I used to do it for a change of target location that was somewhat large in distance after prosecuting on initial target location.

CHAS, pull the nose to new AO, slew TGP to new area of interest, extend to safe distance, create mark point(s), setup for attack, prosecute. Repeat.

That was with the A10C “I”

Now with the A10C “II” - it is an unneeded process, as it can all be done via the HMCS. I’m fine without the cage to boresight HOTAS command, although as a SME has weighed in with the function that should be incorporated into the TGP display, it will be a welcome addition for some and something I might use from time to time.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

TGP to HUD

In A-10C with China HAT Aft Short you used to get your TGP uncage to HUD if it was looking at another point.

Now with A-10C II this is not possible. China HAT Aft Short, toggles LSS.

How can i do it with A-10C II?

Lock-On Greece / DCS World Greece http://lockon-greece.forumotion.net/

🇬🇷 1st Hellinic Virtual Squadron for Flaming Cliffs & DCS World
~ Flying since 2008 ~

How can i do it with A-10C II?

On the TGP MFCD, set TGP to Standby and then back to AG.

At some point in the future, we might be getting the boresight function on an OSB labeled "B/S", but I'm not sure whether this has been officially confirmed.

On the TGP MFCD, set TGP to Standby and then back to AG.

At some point in the future, we might be getting the boresight function on an OSB labeled "B/S", but I'm not sure whether this has been officially confirmed.

Thnx a lot

Lock-On Greece / DCS World Greece http://lockon-greece.forumotion.net/

🇬🇷 1st Hellinic Virtual Squadron for Flaming Cliffs & DCS World
~ Flying since 2008 ~

A/G - OSB 2

STDBY - OSB 3

A/A - OSB 4

Yes, thanks, but my question was is there a way to assign the sequence

STDBY - OSB 3 > A/G - OSB 2 to a joystick button or keyboard key?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Yes. They can be bound just like any other switch/button in the cockput.

He is asking how to assign a "sequence" not the individual OSB buttons. Like a macro... In other words, he presses one key (or button) and it commands the depression of STBY, then AG mode - in other words achieving a boresight of the TGP, without actually depressing the OSB buttons / key binds individually.....

To the person asking the question - sadly I do not know how to create a macro like that - but maybe someone can. Was simply clarifying your seemingly obvious question, to this person.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

He is asking how to assign a "sequence" not the individual OSB buttons. Like a macro... In other words, he presses one key (or button) and it commands the depression of STBY, then AG mode - in other words achieving a boresight of the TGP, without actually depressing the OSB buttons / key binds individually.....

To the person asking the question - sadly I do not know how to create a macro like that - but maybe someone can. Was simply clarifying your seemingly obvious question, to this person.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Thanks Ziptie, yes it seemed to me too an obvious question.....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

With apps like Joy2Key, Target, AutoHotkey and Joystickgremling

Thanks.... So there is no way to do this INSIDE DCS......?

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

No. Because those buttons need to be pressed in the right sequence. All you can do in DCS is assign a button plus one or more modification keys (Strg, Alt, AltGr).

You would need to have a macro to do the following:

Press OSB 5 -> Stby

Small delay (10ms)

Press OSB 4 -> A/G

And one makro can only handle left or right MFCD. So you would to choose one or duplicate the macro for right and left.

IMHO not worth it. Just wait for the B/S button on OSB 5. With a bit of luck it will be in the next update. ;)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

No. Because those buttons need to be pressed in the right sequence. All you can do in DCS is assign a button plus one or more modification keys (Strg, Alt, AltGr).

You would need to have a macro to do the following:

Press OSB 5 -> Stby

Small delay (10ms)

Press OSB 4 -> A/G

And one makro can only handle left or right MFCD. So you would to choose one or duplicate the macro for right and left.

IMHO not worth it. Just wait for the B/S button on OSB 5. With a bit of luck it will be in the next update. ;)

OK Thank you very much for your complete repy!

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 10 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:28 PM, Yurgon said:

[...]

*bump*

@NineLine this seems to be a low hanging fruit and a very helpful addition.

• 1 month later...

In the actual A-10 the only way to boresight the TGP straight ahead like the old functionality is OSB 4 on the TGP window. I don't think that's currently simulated. That said, there isn't much of a use for it being boresighted straight ahead like that anyway. Generally the dwell state for the TGP is going to be slaved to your steer point. Use your HMCS with DMS R LONG to quickly get your HMCS onto something if you see something that needs investigating.

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 12:10 AM, ASAP said:

In the actual A-10 the only way to boresight the TGP straight ahead like the old functionality is OSB 4 on the TGP window. I don't think that's currently simulated. 

It's OSB 5, and has been there since before 6th September.
As you would have seen if you read the posts before you posted...

On 12/30/2021 at 11:32 PM, NightMan said:

+1

+1 what?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Dragan said:

it feels especially when attacked with a diving cannon, although it doesn't come in GIMB ROLL

I think I know what you mean. Just to be sure, let me try to describe the phenomenon I'm thinking about.

Let's say you've got a target dead ahead and are entering a shallow dive of maybe 10 or 20 degrees nose down to engage the target with rockets or the gun. And while putting the nose down, the TGP starts slewing away from the target, rolls, and stabilizes at something possibly not too far from the target, but definitely not on the target. Is that what you're seeing?

This has been discussed quite a bit, and I don't know if it's realistic or not. There is a possibility that this might actually be correct and that the TGP might have a kind of dead spot right there at negative 60 mils or so (I once looked it up but forgot the exact number) where the gimbal is forced to rotate around that spot. However, it should still get back to the original target/coordinate, which it sometimes does, and sometimes doesn't.

Either way, when you know about this limitation you can try to work around it by not using the TGP for these shallow dive attacks, or slaving it to the steerpoint (and always put markpoints on interesting objects so that you can make them steerpoint and slave the TGP back to them if it goes haywire).

Let's say you've got a target dead ahead and are entering a shallow dive of maybe 10 or 20 degrees nose down to engage the target with rockets or the gun. And while putting the nose down, the TGP starts slewing away from the target, rolls, and stabilizes at something possibly not too far from the target, but definitely not on the target. Is that what you're seeing?

Yes, that's right, it happens, or it stabilizes at home or some unimportant object that is not of interest, or it simply wanders away, for example,a clean body in the environment of action. Real pilots know that if there are any, they could solve the mystery of TGP, it is really difficult to control the attack, especially if the clouds are quite high because maneuvers are the biggest factor in falling out of the grip, I have a habit of diving from greater heights when shooting with a cannon. I never use a circle GUN,but only a cross CCIP means from 2.5 to 2 m I hit the ZSU without any problems, another example, I like hidden goals in the woods, and that's why this is a real problem for me...

Edited by Dragan