Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

tapi

Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

• Bf 109 G-6 Late
    • Tempest Mk. V
    • Spitfire Mk XIV (Griffon, bubble canopy)
    • Fw 190 F/G-8
    • A6M5 Zero
    • P-38 J/L Lightning
    • F6F Hellcat
    • Bf 109 E
    • Spitfire Mk. I/II
    • Other (not mentioned) aircraft

So I posted the late F-6. But I really believe that the B-25 is the most needed. It gives us a bomber. It suits the maps we have. Its fast and agile enough to be fun. It would have awesome multiplayer potential. Depending on model it can do attack, or level bombing. There are planty of still flying examples.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, rkk01 said:

Surely even the Spit and 109 would effectively be totally new aircraft???

Emill > Freidrich = new airframe > Gustav = new engine > Kurfürst = magic dust 🤣

Spitfire history confuses me, but even so a BoB Mk 1s is going to be way different to a V and the IXc we have is, as with the 109, a different airframe and engine generation…

Dont get me wrong, I’d absolutely love a Spit I and Vb / Vc as well as a 109 Emil and Freidrich

but I can’t see that they have any modelling in common with a IX or Kurfürst 

A Spit V is a Mk 1 with a better Merlin - and a IX is a V with a better Merlin 🙂 - there are several types of Spitfire wing though. A Griffon XIV on the other hand is definitely a new aircraft. An Emil and a Hurricane might be a more interesting 1940 pair.

Beaufighter please. Did the same fun stuff as the Mossie ( other than being a pure bomber - was a torpedo bomber instead ) and didn't come unglued in the tropics...

• Like 3

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

12 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

A Spit V is a Mk 1 with a better Merlin - and a IX is a V with a better Merlin 🙂 - there are several types of Spitfire wing though. A Griffon XIV on the other hand is definitely a new aircraft. An Emil and a Hurricane might be a more interesting 1940 pair.

Beaufighter please. Did the same fun stuff as the Mossie ( other than being a pure bomber - was a torpedo bomber instead ) and didn't come unglued in the tropics...

Is it not the case though that the airframes were also extensively modified between I > V and V > IX…?

From a 3-D model perspective and a FM perspective they must be as different as making a new model…???

4 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Is it not the case though that the airframes were also extensively modified between I > V and V > IX…?

From a 3-D model perspective and a FM perspective they must be as different as making a new model…???

The V was a bit of a panic measure to jam more power in, and so was the IX - Spit numbers don't really run sequentially, so the VIII is not the predecessor of the IX, it's a different breed if you like ( and actually I think the IX predates the VII ! ). Cooling changed and so did the armament which tweaks the wings, and there's details like the size of the tail & minor undercarriage changes, but there's a pretty direct line from I-V-IX as far as I'm aware ( not being an owner or a pilot of one! ). The first IX was a Vc originally, likewise the early Vs started out as I or IIs. The Griffon ones on the other hand...if you've ever seen a Griffon Spit next to an earlier one it looks like an overinflated caricature.

It's confusing & even as someone who's had his nose in RAF stuff since I was a kid ( parent is ex-RAF ) and who's fascinated by engineering evolution, it's hard to follow. I have absolutley no idea how to follow 109s either...

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

The IX did not predate the VII (IIRC), thanks to structural changes it would have taken too long to bring all the production sites up to speed with the airframe changes therefore they went ahead and installed the Merlin 60 on a Spitfire V and the IX was born. 

Personally if we can't get a Hawker Typhoon/Tempest I would love to see a Mk XIV (Which was initially based on the VIII Airfame).

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

9 hours ago, Krupi said:

The IX did not predate the VII (IIRC), thanks to structural changes it would have taken too long to bring all the production sites up to speed with the airframe changes therefore they went ahead and installed the Merlin 60 on a Spitfire V and the IX was born. 

Personally if we can't get a Hawker Typhoon/Tempest I would love to see a Mk XIV (Which was initially based on the VIII Airfame).

Yes, Tempest V and Typhoon seem unlikely unfortunately.

Spit XIV would be good, and it does seem to fit securely into the low hanging fruit box.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krupi said:

The VII has a lower model number & was started earlier yes, but pretty sure the IX arrived before the VII did, mostly because it was basically a re-engined V and not a redesign like the VII series. It's certainly not a successor to an 8, that's for sure.

I think on reflection I'd take the griffon Spit ( maybe a Seafire for a change ) over a Tempest at this point, everyone who does a late model RAF fighter seems to do Tempests & there's a lot more Spit XIVs around too. If we're not sticking to the western front then a late model Soviet bird would also make a nice change.

Yes the IX entered production before the VII/VIII as it didn't require much change to the start producing Mk IX at sites already producing Mk V. 

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Personally I enjoy the destructive power of 6 x 0.50’s when on target, so looking forward to the F4U though there is no real historical opposition, after the F4U I would really like the F4F or the F6F the latter was a real game changer.

After the 6 x 0.50’s then 4 x Hispanic’s are real shredding power so that would be the RAF Typhoon (balanced for Normandy) or the Tempest though that is a far away dream.

For the Luftwaffe I would prefer to see the MG-151 equipped BF-109 G series or the mid series FW-190 A6/A7 better equipped for fighter to fighter engagement, higher velocity and more rpg, especially when the outer guns were removed in the A6/A7

For the VSAAF I would really like to see the Yak-3, Yak-9U, La-5FN/7 all equipped with nose mounted weapons - late 45 scenario such as Robert Conroy - why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Inferno:_1945

IJAF/IJN clearly I would like to see the Ki-84, Ki-100, or N1K1-J, J2M3 though that will never happen

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

Thinking *again* - we *are* getting the 262, right? so how about finally having that WW2 jet dogfight & getting a Meteor? I or III depends on which mark of 262 we're getting. The 4 Hispano/rocket armament need is met too.

Admittedly all you have to do to win against a 262 is wait for it's engines to melt... there's a reason Gloster went for centrifugal flow. Admittedly apparently traded throttle response for reliability...

10 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

Admittedly all you have to do to win against a 262 is wait for it's engines to melt

The main (kinda only, because I probably wouldn’t fly it) reason I’d get excited about a 262 -  watching it explode as people try and turn fight a spit and rapidly throw the throttle around. 

Edited by Jakey-Poo

I voted an earlier german fighter - 109 G-6 1943 and the reason is based on just trying to have a game that fits a map we have, with modules we have.

Yep its all great voting for literally any of this list but the vote has to made looking at what we already have, not where we want to go next in development. This is why the Me262 fanclub just infuriates me, the Axis planes live in a microcosm of its gasping breaths in 1945 on the continent mainland whilst the Spit, P47, Mossie live in different eras way before this. Where's the fight? This inconsistency keeps plaguing the multiplayer arena, you cannot have close to reasonable contests based on the most rapid technology advances the world has ever seen.

Please, lets have what we need with the big picture in mind, not what we want with what we don't have either. Makes no sense, the DCS limit has always been thing sout of place and out of time. Let's not exacerbate it. Anchor on a date, make a fight, match it in pairs each side.

• Like 8

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

56 minutes ago, Pikey said:

I voted an earlier german fighter - 109 G-6 1943 and the reason is based on just trying to have a game that fits a map we have, with modules we have.

Yep its all great voting for literally any of this list but the vote has to made looking at what we already have, not where we want to go next in development. This is why the Me262 fanclub just infuriates me, the Axis planes live in a microcosm of its gasping breaths in 1945 on the continent mainland whilst the Spit, P47, Mossie live in different eras way before this. Where's the fight? This inconsistency keeps plaguing the multiplayer arena, you cannot have close to reasonable contests based on the most rapid technology advances the world has ever seen.

Please, lets have what we need with the big picture in mind, not what we want with what we don't have either. Makes no sense, the DCS limit has always been thing sout of place and out of time. Let's not exacerbate it. Anchor on a date, make a fight, match it in pairs each side.

Aye, it’s never appeared as if there’s any plan really. BoB is mentioned, but we have no planes, PTO is mentioned but we have no maps. We have the lovely I-16 but it has no contemporaries or maps. But then whatever plan ED announce won’t suit everyone. I just try to enjoy what we have.

Get ready for the ED Hellcat… 🤣

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 1

Given half the existing maps are at the east end of the Med/the Gulf we're mostly lacking antiquated biplanes....

A lot of german warcraft fandom goes beyond fandom & into fetishism, I've never quite understood it ( especially the tanks, most of them were really not great ). Thankfully for the allies they managed to half-arse so many things - the allies did too, they just had a lot more choice & seemed to get it together as the germans fluffed it more. I guess the Anton & Spit IX ( and indirectly the Mossie ) are meant to be a match, and the later german pair & later US pair are vaguely a match in operational terms even if they're not really similar types of aircraft.

23 hours ago, Lynchsl62 said:

Personally I enjoy the destructive power of 6 x 0.50’s when on target, so looking forward to the F4U though there is no real historical opposition.

Not so sure about that… what about the 109 and 190…???

JG5 flew both and even if they didn’t tangle (difficult to find definitive refs), they were defending airspace against Wildcats, Hellcats and Corsairs in 1944.  Looks like they had Gustav G6 and Anton A3 models, so not a direct match for the A8 and K4… but as close as anything else in DCS

Edited by rkk01

13 hours ago, rkk01 said:

JG5 flew both and even if they didn’t tangle (difficult to find definitive refs), they were defending airspace against Wildcats, Hellcats and Corsairs in 1944.  Looks like they had Gustav G6 and Anton A3 models, so not a direct match for the A8 and K4… but as close as anything else in DCS

Yes, unfortunately it seems there’s little record of FAA action in the ETO, other than they were there and launching aircraft. It seems reasonable though that RN F6Fs and F4Us engaged German aircraft. RN Avengers saw a lot of ETO action also, sometimes flying from land bases. 

Edited by Mogster

4 hours ago, upyr1 said:

IMHO what we really need for DCS World War II is Pacific and East front assets

I would love to see this stuff, and I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I want to see the theatre that’s already underway fully fleshed out before development starts on another one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jakey-Poo said:

I would love to see this stuff, and I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I want to see the theatre that’s already underway fully fleshed out before development starts on another one. 

The Korean era is quite empty- except for the MIG-15, F-51, F-86 and the BluFor assets from the WW II asset pack, as I stated in my post earlier, Eagle needs to at least add assets that would also work for Korea. As for the Pacific we have the F4U on the way and while I know some assets are coming I would still like to see some added. Especially if they can pull double or triple duty  

Edited by upyr1

12 hours ago, rkk01 said:

The FAA Corsair did perform a couple of operations along the Norwegian Coast, during operations against Tirpitz, however they encountered no opposition, before they relocated to the Pacific.  I think the Corsair would dominate the FW-190 A8 but would be roughlu equal to the Bf-109 K4 and the FW-190 D9 - some US reports indicated that it was considered as more maneouverable than the P-51 - and with the R2800 with the two stage 2 speed superchargers should be have a good altitude performance

The FAA Hellcats introduced in 1944 did encounter opposition, though as you state they were mid war Bf-109 and FW-190 A3/4. They were also used in the Mediterranean

The F4F/Martlet were used against the Luftwaffe during convoy protection and also during Operation Torch with the USN against the Vichy French and also against the Norwegian shipping before being replaced.

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

• 2 weeks later...

To keep the balance they should make Bf-110 after mossie, and then i don't really know but in some time in the future, once the multicrew mature and multiplayer daynamic campaign will come they will have to make B-17. That is the one bomber that could sell very well. They could make also He-111 but im not sure how profitable that one could be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter5on said:

To keep the balance they should make Bf-110 after mossie, and then i don't really know but in some time in the future, once the multicrew mature and multiplayer daynamic campaign will come they will have to make B-17. That is the one bomber that could sell very well. They could make also He-111 but im not sure how profitable that one could be.

DCS Bf-110 would be very interesting.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Mogster said:

DCS Bf-110 would be very interesting.

The Me-410 would theoretically be more equivalent to the mossie, a multi role bomber and heavy fighter, however it was a total failure - faster but less manoeuvrable than the Bf-110  and much disliked by the crews. Both aircraft in the ‘44 Normandy scenario are merely targets to P-51, P-47 and the Mk XI as well as the future mossie itself. It is a real shame as the aircraft looks good - having visited the surviving example at RAF Cosford several times

For the era I would much prefer the A-26 Invader as a light bomber, which also was equipped with a solid nose ground attack

• Like 1