My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

8 hours ago, 1Wolf said:

@speed-of-heat

Thanks SOOOO much for going to all the work, and effort of all of that testing, sharing your methodology, sharing your results, and above-all-else...keeping this thread alive and keeping them updated.

Only a few months ago I built a new system so that I could run in VR, picked up a Reverb G2, and got back into DCS again when I'd been away a while.  You're thread helped me immensely.  For me at least, the G2 and DCS were a bit tricky to get set up to run together correctly and a bit difficult to understand.  It was confusing as hell for me.  Once I was up and running I used the methodology and tools you shared to create my own benchmarks so that I could find what worked for me and my system.

Thank you again for all the hard work.

Question regarding FSR:  I don't tend to run many mods but the performance that people are claiming of FSR seemed worth the effort for me to give it a try.  I'm a novice at understanding the way things are rendered in VR.  So after reading the GitHub entry for it online and the readme information,  I just wanted to see if I'm understanding this correctly.  So [b]without[/b] FSR you normally run SteamVR CRM for DCS at 80%.  [b]With[/b] FSR you run Steam VR CRM for DCS at 100% but have the openvr_mod.cfg set to a RenderScale of 0.8.  Isn't that pretty much the same thing as running SteamVR CRM for DCS at 80% and not running FSR?  Is it that FSR does the same thing that SteamVR would be doing...only better or more efficiently?  What would happen if you set SteamVR for DCS to 100% and the RenderScale to 1.0?

I tried using your openvr_mod.cfg settings exactly...setting RenderScale to 0.8, Sharpness to 0, and Radius to 0.75.  I didn't run a scientific test yet as I was just trying it out but the performance does seem better.  However, things do look a little more blurry.  I'm testing this in the Viper and the instruments look just a little bit more blurry, looking at vehicle targets with the targeting pod camera look just a little more blurry.  The terrain details in the Nevada desert look just a little more smooth and blurry.  Don't get me wrong, nothing is "too blurry", its very subtle.  I just noticed that things seem a little more clear without the FSR.

Is that due to the "Sharpness" setting in openvr_mod.cfg?  Most everyone here complained of shimmering or shining with the Sharpness above 0 so I was afraid to set it higher.  What might you recommend to try?  Or maybe the slight blurryness is just a side effect of FSR and perhaps that mod just isn't for me.

I'm sure you might say just to experiment and try things out but I happen to be one of those people that I start to go back and forth trying things and pretty soon, no matter what I do, they all look the same and I end up going down that rabbit hole of tweaking and never stopping.  So I just thought I'd get your opinions and advice.

Thank you again!

You are welcome.  There is a trade off with fsr, for performance vs clarity. There are  number of YouTube videos by the great and the good on how it works, in summary it is more efficient in terms of performance/clarity than an equivalent reduction in pixels.  From memory an 80% CRM gives a 1.25ms frame time reduction and fsr provides a 2ms reduction in gpu frame time and a small reduction in cpu frame time for a render scale of 0.8..

I have to stress, use a mod manager to manage your mods. With that in mind, try out different settings, you can’t hurt yourself, not every trade off is worth it for everyone, clarity is VERY subjective… so a trade that works for one person may be totally unacceptable to others.

I like you went back and forth on settings and got confused, and i wanted a way to track my impact of each change, that would provide me a log of impact, my methodology is far from perfect. But the test matrix is huge… so you have to compromise a little,or it becomes a full time job/hobby… and I don’t need another of either 😉 I like playing the game, configuring it not so much. Hence me focusing on pure deltas of frame time rather than absolute fps. 

7 hours ago, DucS2r said:

We are running SOH ragged these days because he is so helpful, but I’ll throw in my two cents while you wait for his answer. I noticed a slight degradation in clarity with FSR as well, with the same settings. However I thought it was worth it given the improvement in performance. Unlike SOH, I also use Reshade using the settings SOH tried. I find it adds enough sharpening that I am happy with the combined result. I also run Kegety’s shaders. 

yep thanks for jumping in!

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

8 hours ago, 1Wolf said:

So [b]without[/b] FSR you normally run SteamVR CRM for DCS at 80%.  [b]With[/b] FSR you run Steam VR CRM for DCS at 100% but have the openvr_mod.cfg set to a RenderScale of 0.8.  Isn't that pretty much the same thing as running SteamVR CRM for DCS at 80% and not running FSR? 

That's not quite my understanding. An FSR renderscale of .8 means that it will reduce the SteamVR CRM setting by a factor of .8, and then use its own algorythms to upscale back to that SteamVR resolution. (Though only over a central area of the display as defined in its radius parameter).

The effect of this is to lower your GPU and CPU framerates while still achieving the same CRM as set in SteamVR (albeit with perhaps some increased shimmering). You specifically don't need to raise SteamVR CRM in conjunction to achieve this.

What people have found however, is that the significantly lower GPU and CPU framerates now give them the bandwidth to be able to run at a raised 100% SteamVR and thus achieve even further clarity.

Personally, I leave SteamVR CRM at 80% as I would rather use those lower framerates to allow me to run Reshade sharpening (and with FSR "sharpness": 0.0) as I find that gives me better clarity (certainly in terrain detail) than 100% CRM and it also allows me to maintain 45FPS low over Guam !

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Just now, ShaunX said:

That's not quite my understanding. An FSR renderscale of .8 means that it will reduce the SteamVR CRM setting by a factor of .8, and then use its own algorythms to upscale back to that SteamVR resolution. (Though only over a central area of the display as defined in its radius parameter).

The effect of this is to lower your GPU and CPU framerates while still achieving the same CRM as set in SteamVR (albeit with perhaps some increased shimmering). You specifically don't need to raise SteamVR CRM in conjunction to achieve this.

What people have found however, is that the significantly lower GPU and CPU framerates now give them the bandwidth to be able to run at a raised 100% SteamVR and thus achieve even further clarity.

Personally, I leave SteamVR CRM at 80% as I would rather use those lower framerates to allow me to run Reshade sharpening (and with FSR "sharpness": 0.0) as I find that gives me better clarity (certainly in terrain detail) than 100% CRM and it also allows me to maintain 45FPS low over Guam !

concur

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Fantastic !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yes SOH great thread and fantastic help. Got my setup optimized following also your guide and shared methods. It is a very easy process now to confidently change settings or update mods or DCS versions and see the actual impact, just as long as I keep a good administration. Which is a piece of cake now with my excel.

I pretty much started with everything inside DCS turned down as my bottom line and looked what every setting did to my personal experience. It turned out that quite some mods are welcome improvements and lots of settings can stay quite low, because they are good enough. I prefer absolute smoothness and instrument+distance clarity over pretty much everything else. In the heat of the game there is no time to look at pretty landscape anyways. 

• Thanks 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 10/26/2021 at 8:33 PM, ShaunX said:

You need to install FPSVR from Steam. FPSVR has a hoy key - right CTRL + F11 which will start recording stats, pressing it again stops recording and writes the output to a .csv file in documents\FPSVR\.

So, leave you G2 hanging on its stand (or wherever you can place it so that it won't move), switch on the G2, launch FPSVR (this will launch SteamVR) launch DCS. You should see the menu centered on your mirror display. Launch the track file performance track 276.trk as it launches press the hot key. When it finishes press it again.

Open the CSV file, there'll be thousands of rows. global find/replace All " characters (or I find calculations won't work). Remove the first few and last few rows (It should be obvious how many to remove as the CPU values will be either far to high or far too low.) Then take the average of the FPS column and copy that formuia to the GPU/CPU framerate and GPU usage columns. And there's your results. We usually perform the test twice and take the average of the results between the two.

A little long winded but easy once you've done a few

..oh and don't foget to disable motion smoothing/vector first..otherwise FPS will just be 45 throughout (I forget that regularly!)

It works great now. Only minor issue is the shortcut to start/stop FPSVR which sometimes doesn't work while DCS is the active screen. So I just have to remove some extra lines that are created while I switch windows. Did you guys encounter this as well?

12 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

concur

Yes 80 is good enough for me as well. Do't really see a big difference when I set it to 100. The gain in frametime is well worth it.

Edited by Ready_ENP
  • Thanks 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Another huge thanks from me. I've been working my way through your post with a fine toothed comb and often going through it a number of times so that I understand it fully. I'm pretty much using the same options and mods as you now with good results. However, I still wasn't happy. My frame times were good but I would see blurred objects on hard turns or double vision. The frame times didn't seem to change during the turns so it just didn't feel to me that it was down to the game settings. So I did some more digging around last night and came across another post.

The crux of it involved forcing steamvr to re-profile the GPU but at or close to the Reverb G2 resolution rather than your desktop resolution - yeah, I know it sound weird but read on. Essentially, you erase the steamvr settings, set your desktop resolution to 1080p 60Hz (yes, "desktop" resolution not the headset resolution), then start steam vr and voila. It reprofiles itself.

I now find I get far less if not near zero cases of blurred objects (towns/cities) on hard turns with SS of 90% with the setting below. Note ultra visibility range, medium shadows and default terrain object shadows. I also set the resolution to 1080p.

Try it out, see what you think.

Oh my rig... i9 10900k OC to about 5GHz or just under (can't remember exactly). Firestorm Nvidia 3080Ti Trinity OC running at stock settings. Corsair Vengeance 64GB RAM 3600 DDR4, Windows 10 on its own NVMe, Steam and DCS (non-steam) on its own NVMe. Windows managed paging file - to be fair with 64GB of memory the system doesn't seem to use the paging file.

image.png

7 hours ago, slughead said:

Another huge thanks from me. I've been working my way through your post with a fine toothed comb and often going through it a number of times so that I understand it fully. I'm pretty much using the same options and mods as you now with good results. However, I still wasn't happy. My frame times were good but I would see blurred objects on hard turns or double vision. The frame times didn't seem to change during the turns so it just didn't feel to me that it was down to the game settings. So I did some more digging around last night and came across another post.

The crux of it involved forcing steamvr to re-profile the GPU but at or close to the Reverb G2 resolution rather than your desktop resolution - yeah, I know it sound weird but read on. Essentially, you erase the steamvr settings, set your desktop resolution to 1080p 60Hz (yes, "desktop" resolution not the headset resolution), then start steam vr and voila. It reprofiles itself.

I now find I get far less if not near zero cases of blurred objects (towns/cities) on hard turns with SS of 90% with the setting below. Note ultra visibility range, medium shadows and default terrain object shadows. I also set the resolution to 1080p.

Try it out, see what you think.

Oh my rig... i9 10900k OC to about 5GHz or just under (can't remember exactly). Firestorm Nvidia 3080Ti Trinity OC running at stock settings. Corsair Vengeance 64GB RAM 3600 DDR4, Windows 10 on its own NVMe, Steam and DCS (non-steam) on its own NVMe. Windows managed paging file - to be fair with 64GB of memory the system doesn't seem to use the paging file.

image.png

Interesting, couple of things, in the Reddit article, the author is referring to setting the wmr desktop setting not the windows desktop setting, did you set the desktop it’s not clear.  The author rolls back his driver, did you?

I will have a play later on and see.

The 60hz option is now labelled Options ->  Mixed reality -> headset ->experience options -> optimise for performance - dont do this terrible visual experience

disable displays is now a UI control 

my display that is on when i run dcs is a 60hz display, I always turn the other off 

WMR is the default for SteamVR unless you have messed with it 

my base resolution is 100% anyway.

that leaves the steamvr.settings file (which is located here x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config), there is a bunch of stuff that is different between the current one and a fresh one,  i will see if it makes any difference in game.

Edited by speed-of-heat

I see what you mean about WMR desktop rather than windows desktop. I missed that and changed the desktop only. I will also see what difference changing the WMR desktop setting do when re-profiling the GPU. Certainly just changing the desktop resolution and refresh rate made a difference to the steamvr.settings file for me. But whether that is due to changing the desktop or something else I haven't tested.

I did not roll back my driver. I am on the latest from NVidia. The article is almost a year old now so thought I'd just try the reprofiling only.

Yeah, 60Hz causes terrible flicker for sure. Certainly don't leave it on that setting for in-game use.

"disable displays is now a UI control" oh I didn't know that. I will take a look.

3 minutes ago, slughead said:

I see what you mean about WMR desktop rather than windows desktop. I missed that and changed the desktop only. I will also see what difference changing the WMR desktop setting do when re-profiling the GPU. Certainly just changing the desktop resolution and refresh rate made a difference to the steamvr.settings file for me. But whether that is due to changing the desktop or something else I haven't tested.

I did not roll back my driver. I am on the latest from NVidia. The article is almost a year old now so thought I'd just try the reprofiling only.

Yeah, 60Hz causes terrible flicker for sure. Certainly don't leave it on that setting for in-game use.

"disable displays is now a UI control" oh I didn't know that. I will take a look.

I find the fact that the article is almost a year old and appears to highlight a significant defect, and yet nothing seems to have been followed up on it since then, a little suspect. If there were a workaround that yielded better performance I'd expect it to have been be plastered all over reddit and Youtube as usual. Or maybe nobody reddit ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

so re-creating the steamvr.settings maakes a differnece it makes it clearer and more "stuttery"

1 minute ago, speed-of-heat said:

so re-creating the steamvr.settings maakes a differnece it makes it clearer and more "stuttery"

Interesting. It improved it for me. But then again, I didn't change the WMR desktop settings. It could also be related to switching to a lower res on my monitor. I'll try disabling it with that option you mentioned this evening.

Going back to the question of windows desktop resolution / refresh rate vs the WMR desktop.. the post said....

• Set desktop res to 1080p 60 Hz when WMR is on

To me I read that as written, i.e. once WMR is running, change the desktop (not WMR desktop) resolution to 1080p / 60Hz.

It's also discussed in the thread on the post that it is the windows desktop not the WMR setting.

Edited by slughead

10 minutes ago, slughead said:

Going back to the question of windows desktop resolution / refresh rate vs the WMR desktop.. the post said....

• Set desktop res to 1080p 60 Hz when WMR is on

To me I read that as written, i.e. once WMR is running, change the desktop (not WMR desktop) resolution to 1080p / 60Hz.

It's also discussed in the thread on the post that it is the windows desktop not the WMR setting.

ok so i have two monitors, one is at 1080p @ 60hz and one is at 1440 144hz, there is literally no difference with either monitor... i force off one monitor and force on the other... it makes zero difference to perf nor performance/juddering/stuttering experience for me.

defaulting the steamvr.settings file makes a huge difference to Stuttering and Juddering for me and not in a good way, i suspect because it removes a bunch of optimisations, i need to do some more work in that space ... but i have to say i am not hopeful, it does turn off motion smoothing etc... so thats not good.  The data in the file, I think is misunderstood by the author of the original post, and its pretty dynamically updated.

For sure you need to reapply motion smoothing etc as it's been reset to default settings. My monitor is 5440x1440 (something like that being a Samsung Odyssey Neo G9). May or may not be relevant. But perhaps for me, being fresh to VR and Reverb G2, the steam settings / GPU profile somehow was not optimal and a reset/reprofile has helped me whereas yours with your experience may have already been optimal. Hopefully you kept a backup of your steam settings file.

Edited by slughead

Just now, slughead said:

Hopefully you kept a backup of your steam settings file.

is the pope catholic 😉 

Ok. Not the beta version? It appears that they may have addressed this problem with the 1.3.6 beta 6 months ago which still is not yet released. I'm on the release version which may or may not explain why I am seeing an improvement. So next for me is to try the beta version.

ah WMR for Steam VR is not WMR, WMR for Steam VR, yes i am using the current beta

I've been reading the DCS beta release notes. It seems they've made quite a few changes to improve VR so I will switch over to that as well. Are you using Steam VR beta? Previously I tried Steam VR beat and the WMR for Steam beta but felt it too unstable.