Can't go back using the litening.. ATFLIR all the way

Mizrach

So after the 2.7 updates I know that we all appreciate everything and looking forward for the next. As one of my friends said and I'm quoting "I haven't visited p*rnhub since the update.

But after practicing and using ATFLIR I loved it so much that I don't think I can go back in using the Litening! Do you guys agree? Change my mind pls.

• Like 3

I'm curious about why you personally prefer it over the Litening, in any case from my limited time with it I must say I don't prefer it over the Litening.

Atflir has less zoom, the point track doesn't track as well as the litening and it shifts the view a bit each time the pod view gets masked and then unmasked.

I admit I like the way the zoom works even though it has less of it because I can unzoom much faster if I want to see around the object for instance and I like the fact that one click of the undesignate button doesn't recenter the TGP.

I also love the fact that it displays the waypoints on the TGP view.

But all in all I personally think the disadvantages outweight the advantages and bugs I had with the atflir aside, the litening is more effective in my practise.

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

For me personally the ATFLIR was going to be the highlight of 2.7.  Hoping for better image and zoom.  Certianly not as good on the zoom front, sticking to the trusty Litening for now.

The liGHTing however from the clouds, now that is the highlight for me 🙂

Ninja'd by notproplayer.  Forgot about the masking and payload changes that are needed to accomodate it on the cheek station!

Edited by MrReynolds
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, notproplayer3 said:

I admit I like the way the zoom works even though it has less of it because I can unzoom much faster if I want to see around the object for instance and I like the fact that one click of the undesignate button doesn't recenter the TGP.

I also love the fact that it displays the waypoints on the TGP view.

But all in all I personally think the disadvantages outweight the advantages and bugs I had with the atflir aside, the litening is more effective in my practise.

Exactly why! I feel that it's more fluid to operate than the litening despite being new and buggy sometimes. Zoom level.. I think I can sacrifice it with ATFLIR's like 5 levels of views. The waypoint diamond is probably the best feature as it is easier to find targets... Imagine in ECAS scenario.

• Like 1

Finding issues (bug report submitted) with the ATFLIR and AGM-65E,  When fired with an IN RANGE cue and longer distances, the Laser countdown ends while the missile is still in flight causing to to go stupid and fall short.

Also encountered a bug (reported by someone else) where INR mode drifts around, but SCENE TRACK works for the same purpose.

Other than that 🙂  I think the ATFLIR works better with moving targets and seems to work better in conjunction with the AG Radar.

1 hour ago, thrustvector said:

Yes zoom not as good, but I prefer it too, just seems so much more fluid in use

Thats because the litening zoom is done wrong. It should look like a scene out of minecraft on 9x because its digital zoom, and we all know how well that works.

• Like 6

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What I see as disadvantage with the ATFLIR, is the only possibility to station it at the side of the aircraft (will this change later?). This limits the possibilities of other things to carrie, as tanks are extremely in the way of the view. With the Lighting pod in the center, you can easily carrie two tanks and still have a good view.

• Like 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

6 minutes ago, Limaro said:

What I see as disadvantage with the ATFLIR, is the only possibility to station it at the side of the aircraft (will this change later?). This limits the possibilities of other things to carrie, as tanks are extremely in the way of the view. With the Lighting pod in the center, you can easily carrie two tanks and still have a good view.

ATFLIR doesn't have the capability to mount on the centerline. The double ugly tank configuration became used quite often due to this. Despite the asymmetric load, it actually provides more payload options over 2 wing tanks.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

4 hours ago, Mizrach said:

So after the 2.7 updates I know that we all appreciate everything and looking forward for the next. As one of my friends said and I'm quoting "I haven't visited p*rnhub since the update.

But after practicing and using ATFLIR I loved it so much that I don't think I can go back in using the Litening! Do you guys agree? Change my mind pls.

Naaa within DCS  the litening 2 AT is superior. 

Below some comparisons

U9m6kwM.jpg

oPw3Gc3.jpg

kIG8F6B.jpg

IaMr4D1.jpg

Though the best pod in DCS is the litening 2 derivative on Razbam's Harrier since they replaced the AT with the G4 model, and that has even more zoom.

Until ED does more realistic pod simulation, since there is no image degradation with digitally enhanced zoom the Litening can be considered hands down better. 

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

44 minutes ago, Limaro said:

The masking zone for ATFLIR is really not as bad as you might think.

image.png

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

18 minutes ago, VDV said:

I know that here is not the right place, and im sorry for that but  i dont want to create another topic only for one question. So i want to ask - do we have AGM-84K SLAM-ER now?

No.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

17 hours ago, Mower said:

So what is the better pod right now?

litening has much higher zoom as shown in the screenshots, and can be center-line mounted for better balancing and less masking.  the only minor advantage of the atflir is that it doesn't rely on the FOV hotas button, so it doesn't suffer from maverick missiles "stealing" your FOV button even when not SOI.  in its current form i see no reason to prefer the atflir

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, Swiftwin9s said:

The masking zone for ATFLIR is really not as bad as you might think.

[image]

This is an interesting sketch, actually! In it, it really looks not that bad. However, espacially with the new preview in 2.7 when setting up the aircraft loadout, the atflir it just looks very "hidden" when it's in between all this stuff.

Does anyone know if the ATFLIR will sometime be able to be place at the middle station 5?

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

On 4/16/2021 at 8:28 PM, Recluse said:

Finding issues (bug report submitted) with the ATFLIR and AGM-65E,  When fired with an IN RANGE cue and longer distances, the Laser countdown ends while the missile is still in flight causing to to go stupid and fall short.

Is this confirmed as a bug?

As i am new to the Hornet since the sale started, i thought i am stupid. Same problem here...Rifle then the laser countdown starts while the Mav is mid air. But it is insanely short and the mav drops down into the water.

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

51 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

Is this confirmed as a bug?

As i am new to the Hornet since the sale started, i thought i am stupid. Same problem here...Rifle then the laser countdown starts while the Mav is mid air. But it is insanely short and the mav drops down into the water.

They are investigating according to the BUG REPORT tag. Many people have this issue.

Meanwhile, you can use Manual Lasing. Box the TRIG box on the FLIR and hold the TRIGGER down until Maverick Impact. The laser will fire as long as you hold the Trigger (unless they changed something in 2.7 for this too). I haven't tried manual lasing in 2.7 but it should work for BOTH ATFLIR and LITENING.

You could also just load up the current STABLE version of 2.6 and all will work fine (of course no ATFLIR and you lose the other enhancements to 2.7)

Edited by Recluse

OK, i have to try. I fly the hornet stick and 1st depress is Gun/Sidewinder 2nd is weapon release. I have to check with the trigered option of the laser if it is still lasing, if i pull to 2nd detend.

But nice to hear, that it is a bug and im not stupid 🙂

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

Laser Designator is 2nd Detent IIRC.  So if you are using that for the PICKLE it may interfere, on the OTHER HAND, since you are using it to release the weapon, then just HOLDING IT DOWN might be even easier than trying to juggle two buttons!