AH64D ability to buddy lase for A10C FA18C F5E F14B??

hannibal

ever since i got pointctrl, i feel more confident to use DCS modules, and now i have recently gotten into the world of buddy lasing and laser guided bombs..

So far i see many tutorials of the A10C buddy lasing for other aircraft... will the upcoming DCS Apache support buddy lasing for fast movers?

Thanks

• Like 4

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 2:56 PM, FalcoGer said:

Wouldn't it typically be the other way around? Some high flying drone lasing a target for the apache and the apache shooting a hellfire over a mountain?

Not necessarily, only in a very specific tactical scenario.  Like most things in military operations where a lot of variables affect which tactics are used...it depends.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, slyvenne said:

I thought the hellfire are radar guided by the apache. Is the laser is a real pointer like Listening and Atflir that can guide a gbu12? Or more a range finder/specific own missile like gazelle or ka50?

There's a SAL (laser guided) HF and a radar guided HF, mission requirements will determine which or just what you want in game.  My understanding is they are planning on the L Hellfire (Radar guided) at a later time so you'll get one of the variants of SAL hellfires at the beginning.  The AH has a Laser designator that missiles or laser guided bombs can track onto as long as they use the same style system.  So most USAF and NATO countries will be able to use the apache's codes.  

• Like 2

even with Radar Guided Hellfire, You can have 1 Apache mask, and send radar contacts via network.,

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, R7970 Lightning @ 1.2 / 6 GHz Memory

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Note that the RF (Radar Guided) Hellfire doesn't even need the Longbow FCR to work. It's a self contained seeker in the missile. All it needs is a target location and it will go out and find the target, either locking on before or after launch. The TADs can supply the target location and it can also be passed over the data link. 

Over the datalink, targets can be passed either as a 'One-off' RF 'handover', or as a set of targets in a pre-configured battlefield 'ZONE' that has been scanned by the FCR. 

IRL I don't think Apaches would routinely work hand in hand with fast jets etc. Maybe in the E model more common (Link 16, drones etc). So in DCS that would be a bit gamey.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Am 11.9.2021 um 18:37 schrieb AvroLanc:

IRL I don't think Apaches would routinely work hand in hand with fast jets etc. Maybe in the E model more common (Link 16, drones etc). So in DCS that would be a bit gamey.

IRL the Apaches definitely marked targets with laser for fast jets in a CAS stack. Not necessarily guiding the bombs, but pointing the Jet's TGP/Eyes onto the right spot via LSS. Nevertheless the TADS should also be able to guide any LGB, as well as APKWS or LJDAM. 

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 32GB | GeForce RTX 2080S - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

1 hour ago, Whirley said:

Can the pilot lock and lase targets? If not I hope the George AI will be able to lase targets without engaging them. So we can lase targets in multiplayer servers with only one player in the helicopter

No, only CPG seat has access to laser.  Back seat can still launch but only as a remote (for K Models)

Edited by kgillers3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

No, only CPG seat has access to laser.  Back seat can still launch but only as a remote (for K Models)

Or the backseat can launch the missile while the CPG lases for it. It would be silly because if the CPG is already looking at the target, and lasing the target, might as well let him fire it. But it is possible nonetheless.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

Or the backseat can launch the missile while the CPG lases for it. It would be silly because if the CPG is already looking at the target, and lasing the target, might as well let him fire it. But it is possible nonetheless.

Irrelevant to the question that was originally asked but yes.

Edited by kgillers3

2 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

Irrelevant to the question that was originally asked but yes.

You said the pilot could only launch for remote engagements.  That's incorrect.  The relevancy to the question you were responding to had nothing to do with my response.

Edited by Raptor9

DCS Rotor-Head

45 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

You said the pilot could only launch for remote engagements.  That's incorrect.  The relevancy to the question you were responding to had nothing to do with my response.

Lmfao.  I'm trying to help someone talking about flying the thing with an AI which won't lase by itself, and you're going down a rabbit hole on a very lets say interesting choice of engagement choice. You're not wrong.  Which was in my first statement. 

Also I would say it might not be possible with the AI depending on how it works so there's that. 

Edited by kgillers3
  • Like 1

Just now, Raptor9 said:

@kgillers3, I wasn't trying to start a flame war, I was simply providing clarification of something you said that wasn't quite accurate.

I'll reserve that I don't think it was designed to be done in that manner even though it's a possibility, but what do I know I didn't design it.  However, I will agree it is a way.  I still go back to it's irrelevant to helping someone playing single player with an AI. Which what was the answer I was giving them.  If they were playing dual cockpit yes that is a method.  

• Like 1

I wanted to take a minute and ensure everyone is clear, @Raptor9 is an incredible resource of knowledge of this actual platform during this period, just because I don't agree in this very specific discussion we had (which is ok because different people have different opinions), you can see other forums that I have asked him very specific questions about the platform (fixed rocket option, whistling from the blades, etc.)  based on the timeframe.  So @Raptor9 I apologize, I don't always apply that a text can be misinterpreted easier than in person, if you took any disrespect. 

The important thing for you guys is when the module is released to try some of these things with the AI or other players, you might find things you like and things you don't.  

• Like 2