Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

Hello everyone, it's been a while since a new version of the program was released, mainly because I didn't find time to further code it. Lately however, I have found time to actually build a new version, with a fully remade interface that implemented all your requests so far. The changes include:

• New user interface with features like renaming waypoints, changing elevation and reordering (check the video below for more details)
  • Support for exporting/importing files with waypoints
  • Added keybinds for VR users
  • Fixed FPS issues and other bugs
  • Added support for the F16 Sufa mod and the Ka50 3

Please keep in mind this is a first release, please PM me any bugs or issues, and we'll get it sorted.

Here is a video showing all the new features:

To upgrade to this version, head over to the release found here Download the zip file from there. Then, extract it and replace your existing `TheWay.lua` file in Saved Games with the new one. Otherwise, the new version won't work properly. Then, run the installer, and that's all.

If this is your first time using TheWay, follow the full install instructions here: instructions

As always, thanks to all the people who've helped me so far with developing and testing. This is the way.

Edited by Comrade Doge
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

Hello everyone, it's been a while since a new version of the program was released, mainly because I didn't find time to further code it. Lately however, I have found time to actually build a new version, with a fully remade interface that implemented all your requests so far. The changes include:

• New user interface with features like renaming waypoints, changing elevation and reordering (check the video below for more details)
  • Support for exporting/importing files with waypoints
  • Added keybinds for VR users
  • Fixed FPS issues and other bugs
  • Added support for the F16 Sufa mod and the Ka50 3

Please keep in mind this is a first release, please PM me any bugs or issues, and we'll get it sorted.

Here is a video showing all the new features:

To upgrade to this version, head over to the release found here Download the zip file from there. Then, extract it and replace your existing `TheWay.lua` file in Saved Games with the new one. Otherwise, the new version won't work properly. Then, run the installer, and that's all.

If this is your first time using TheWay, follow the full install instructions here: instructions

As always, thanks to all the people who've helped me so far with developing and testing. This is the way.

Appreciate the kb shortcuts for VR users but there is noway in VR to initially bring up the green circle to put it over where you want to mark a waypoint on the F10 map without alt tabbing to desktop and clicking the green + sign first, then you can use the Kb hsort cuts. Can you add a shortcut to bring up the green circle? Unless I'm missing something?

Also any chance you can liase with the author of Openkneeboard to find out why we can't add TheWay program to Openkneeboard? This would allow VR users to view TheWay in VR and click all the buttons like non VR users.

Regardless if you can or can't thanks for the update it's great and some brilliant features

🖥️  i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090 Ti 24GB GDDR6X, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 PCIe SSD,  🥽 HP Reverb G2 v2 
 🕹️ VPC WarBRD, VPC Constellation ALPHA-R, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals 🗺️ FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, F-14 Tomcat  Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf

Just now, QuozL said:

Appreciate the kb shortcuts for VR users but there is noway in VR to initially bring up the green circle to put it over where you want to mark a waypoint on the F10 map without alt tabbing to desktop and clicking the green + sign first, then you can use the Kb hsort cuts. Can you add a shortcut to bring up the green circle? Unless I'm missing something?

Also any chance you can liase with the author of Openkneeboard to find out why we can't add TheWay program to Openkneeboard? This would allow VR users to view TheWay in VR and click all the buttons like non VR users.

Regardless if you can or can't thanks for the update it's great and some brilliant features

Hi, i didn't add the circle initially because i wasn't sure if it would show up in VR. Can you confirm you actually see it in the VR environment? If so, then I will add a shortcut for it

6 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

Hi, i didn't add the circle initially because i wasn't sure if it would show up in VR. Can you confirm you actually see it in the VR environment? If so, then I will add a shortcut for it

Yep if I use my G2 controller to go into desktop mode and click the + icon it shows up on the f10 map.

So I only see it if I use my G2 controller to go into desktop mode, if I just alt tab and press the green + and then go back into vr it doesnt show up 😞.

Will have to keep using the G2's desktop mode to mark points with the green circle.

Edited by QuozL

🖥️  i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090 Ti 24GB GDDR6X, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 PCIe SSD,  🥽 HP Reverb G2 v2 
 🕹️ VPC WarBRD, VPC Constellation ALPHA-R, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals 🗺️ FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, F-14 Tomcat  Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf

A big thank you for this app ! It's so essential when playing on MP servers. 🙌

(Tomcat support and it will be perfect ^^)

Edited by diditopgun

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

59 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

You have downloaded the source code. Head over to the Releases section, there you will find the proper zip file

This worked; thank you!

great tool!

perhaps you could find information from this script on how to make an ingame (also in VR) visible UI; with clickable buttons;

Dcs scratchpad

I get the no connection to DCS error in version 2

I tried even this Export.lua entry:

TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'TheWay.lua')

In the log there is no loading of this script mentioned. 

The other script scrathpad is working well. 

I'm using Windows 11 and have create a firewall execption for the theway.exe 

I launched DCS even with firewall disabled. No success. 

I although tried putting it in the main game folder. No success.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Potato

5 hours ago, Potato said:

I get the no connection to DCS error in version 2

I tried even this Export.lua entry:

TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'TheWay.lua')

In the log there is no loading of this script mentioned. 

The other script scrathpad is working well. 

I'm using Windows 11 and have create a firewall execption for the theway.exe 

I launched DCS even with firewall disabled. No success. 

I although tried putting it in the main game folder. No success.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Please PM me the full Expprt.lua file

`

On 4/17/2023 at 3:08 PM, Comrade Doge said:

With the Way2 I cant see it in VR only when I take my headset off do I see the green circle

Found a work around to no green cursor in VR

Use Scratchpad, this gives you the white dot when you press L/L and use that instead of the green circle which doesn't show in VR, move the white dot and hit Add Waypoint with the VR shortcuts

Only time you need to ALT TAB now is when you press CTRL+SHIFT +T to send the waypoints, if your using the AH64 it asks if your the CPG or Pilot and you need to select one so have to Alt Tab, if the dev added a option to pre set that as a drop down menu it would be perfect for VR use.

Great program thanks for the work on it.

Edited by Hotdognz

Hey Comrade Doge

I would like to know what this "theway Setup 2.0.0.exe" installation file actually do to the original DCS files & How do you fully uninstall it?

I want to try it out but need to know what am I getting in to first.

Thank you for investing your time & effort to make DCS enjoyable for the community!

Edited by REL

6 minutes ago, REL said:

Hey Comrade Doge

I would like to know what this "theway Setup 2.0.0.exe" installation file actually do to the original DCS files & How do you fully uninstall it?

I want to try it out but need to know what am I getting in to first.

Thank you for investing your time & effort to make DCS enjoyable for the community!

Hi, the installer does nothing to your DCS installation. All it does is copy over the program executables into your windows, so that you can run it. You can uninstall it by going into your programs list (Programs and features) and selecting Uninstall. This will remove the program from Windows.

Your DCS installation will be affected only by the .lua files, that you have to copy into the game, as per the instructions. If you want to remove those, just backtrack your installation steps.

Generally though, everything is designed to not modify DCS in any substantial way, only to add functionality on top of it.

• Thanks 1

I had a problem earlier today when i installed V2. Basically it stopped my SRS from connecting to the game. 

I suspect this is user error on my part, but I am just about to reinstall V2 and see if it happens again. I will update this post with my results.

Loving the new features on V2. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Gremlin17 said:

I had a problem earlier today when i installed V2. Basically it stopped my SRS from connecting to the game. 

I suspect this is user error on my part, but I am just about to reinstall V2 and see if it happens again. I will update this post with my results.

Loving the new features on V2. Thanks.

Hi, you probably didn't edit the Export.lua file correctly, PM me with the file contents so we can discuss about fixing it, if it still doesn't work

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comrade Doge said:

Hi, you probably didn't edit the Export.lua file correctly, PM me with the file contents so we can discuss about fixing it, if it still doesn't work

Hi, you are correct. As expected it was user error on my part. I have it all up and running sweet as a nut now. Thanks for the offer of asssistance.