WINDOWS 11 Compatibility

On 6/29/2021 at 4:18 PM, Fri13 said:

The requirement for Microsoft account and internet is nothing new.

Windows 10 is already digital licensed. 

You need a Microsoft account to register the license to Microsoft, and that requires a internet connection.

That's not true. I have installed multiple PC with local admin accounts and just license verification online.

There is no need to bind it to a Microsoft account, unless you require access to the Windows store.

One good reason to not require an MS account is to keep it compliant with legal requirements in companies, where the "user" is not necessarily the owner of the business. Most often the business holding the license isn't even a person, but a legal entity... That's currently one of the major showstoppers for the use of Hololens 2 in Enterprise environments. Nobody without the legal authorization to represent the company and sign contracts can actually "sign" the EULA for the device or the MS account... at least in the EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 6/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, Lange_666 said:

I never got a smoked rig with Windows 10, this install already lasts for 4 years (re-installed after an SSD swap), i guess Windows 11 will be the same.

Also, if you run DCS Open Beta, you are even paying for being a beta tester.

Lucky you. I had 2 out of three "Win 10 Feature upgrades" ending in a black screen and the need to reinstall from scratch.

The support blogs tip to "detach USB devices before" and "multiple SSD or folder redirection may cause issues" weren't helpful, after the upgrade was enforced...

I now have a spare SSD ready, in case it happens again, so I can install fresh and the recover everything from the original SSD if doesn't boot again.

...and yes, I tried all the recovery tips and tricks for a hung Windows 10 system.

I have high hopes for the current scheduled upgrade, as it seems MS finally found a way to do an actual "in place upgrade" where they just Update libraries and drivers and not install a new windows version, integrate your data and software from the old install and leave the "old system" as a "fallback".

The whole process breaking if you haven't enough free space on the system SSD. That whole upgrade process was simply asking for trouble on more complex PC installs.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 6/27/2021 at 5:10 PM, nessuno0505 said:

My PC is a rig I assembled myself. My i7 6700k runs windows 10 with no issues but if i type tpm.msc my PC says I don't have a TPM and I have to check BIOS to see if maybe it's disabled. I've carefully checked but I haven't found any TPM or PTT setting; it appears that 6th gen i7 6700k does not have that functionality. If someone still has my CPU (I bought my PC in september 2016) and can see if I'm missing something I'll be grateful, but windows 11 support is certified for intel from 8th gen and above, so I fear I'm out until I do a new rig (impossible with current GPU prices).

i7-6700k should have PTT. Whether your mobo can enable it is another matter. As someone said, that CPU isn't on the approved list. But it might be by release. They're "evaluating" 7th gen right now.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:27 AM, shagrat said:

The TPM requirement brings back memories of the discussion about the Trusted Platform and the execution prevention. That's basically the OS can easily have total  control over application execution, so any not signed and "trusted" application, driver could be blocked as "not secure". Hopefully we can still decide for ourselves what we want to/allow to execute. The original concept was very frightening from an end user perspective...

They still haven't explained why the avg home user (Home or Pro license) would actually need TPM.

Secure Boot doesn't require it. Bitlocker or disk encryption at home, what for? And Windows Hello, again why?

"Enhanced security" means nothing, and is not an explanation.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cordite said:

They still haven't explained why the avg home user (Home or Pro license) would actually need TPM.

Secure Boot doesn't require it. Bitlocker or disk encryption at home, what for? And Windows Hello, again why?

There are some reasons I can think of, but none are rooted in anything a normal enduser would be interested in. Certain agencies and businesses on the other hand would love this level of control over your PC and the files on it...

Shagrat

3 hours ago, shagrat said:

There are some reasons I can think of, but none are rooted in anything a normal enduser would be interested in. Certain agencies and businesses on the other hand would love this level of control over your PC and the files on it...

Could be worse, could be Facebook.

• Like 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 7/2/2021 at 9:19 PM, cordite said:

Home version can not create Bitlocker volumes, but it can use them. 

The TPM can be used to encrypt network protocols or generate encryption to applications DRM.

Basically anything that has to do with encryption can use TPM for it. 

It has been revealed from Microsoft that they do not require TPM for the use, but it is  for improved experience and that likely means exactly that, of you don't have it then some applications don't work. But if you can get software based TPM installed then you get away with it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

11 hours ago, Fri13 said:

..:

It has been revealed from Microsoft that they do not require TPM for the use, but it is  for improved experience and that likely means exactly that, of you don't have it then some applications don't work. But if you can get software based TPM installed then you get away with it.

That’s just it, “improved experience/security” doesn’t mean anything. So far, I can’t think of anything the avg home user would need or want it for.

Makes me wonder if they’re being vague because they want to use it for something they know people won’t like.

As far as Bitlocker, why would a personal user want to use it? I don’t think we’re at the point where secret agents and criminals are breaking in to homes to steal drives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cordite said:

That’s just it, “improved experience/security” doesn’t mean anything. So far, I can’t think of anything the avg home user would need or want it for.

TPM is also used to store the hashes that are generated when using Windows Hello  - Face recognition, fingerprint and such. 
And since that also enables the option to use a pin instead of passwords, I like it. 

I'm not into all that tin-foil hat stuff. Makes for way too much stress.

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

Id rather not have the biometrics crap needed to log into my computer. Suppose I went to a place where there was a riot in progress and I just happened to be there. Now my own computer can identify me and rat me out, give my location down to the miniute even if all I did was wrong place wrong time. I honestly dont much care for the pin myself, aint nobody logging onto my computer anyways. Biometrics is getting a little too out of hand if you ask me; ever get an ad in a gas station that just happened to be including something you just searched for a day or so ago on your home PC? Even your drivers license has biometrics data built into the software; yeah, your face is in the facial recognition database now.

• Like 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

This is why when I am taking part in Riots, Murder and all sorts of Mayhem I bring my Linux laptop with me LoL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

5 hours ago, tusler said:

This is why when I am taking part in Riots, Murder and all sorts of Mayhem I bring my Linux laptop with me LoL

Lets ask all those people who showed up in DC if they brought theirs now that the FBI has went out looking for every single goddamned one of them even if they didnt participate. Wish they would have shown this much interest with Seattle and Portland, but is what it is. Figure that one out.

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

19 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Lets ask all those people who showed up in DC if they brought theirs now that the FBI has went out looking for every single goddamned one of them even if they didnt participate. Wish they would have shown this much interest with Seattle and Portland, but is what it is. Figure that one out.

I sense Tin Foil Hattery...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

19 minutes ago, Sarge55 said:

I sense Tin Foil Hattery...

Yeah? Prove me wrong.

My wallpaper and skins

On 6/26/2021 at 6:15 PM, epoch said:

Regarding the requirements, some may have noticed that a TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is required for Windows 11.

Consumer/gaming motherboards often don't have a TPM.  My Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro doesn't have one (they can be bought separately if required).  In fact, the Windows 11 requirement is causing high demand for TPMs.

That said, if you have an Intel or AMD CPU from the past few years then you already should have a compatible TPM because it's bundled into the CPU.

So anyone panicking that they don't have one, check your BIOS/UEFI as the technology may be present, but disabled.  On Intel it's called PTT (Platform Trust Technology) and on AMD it's fTPM (firmware TPM).  They may be disabled in your BIOS (mine was) but enabling it will reveal a TPM 2.0 chip which you'll be able to see in Windows Device Manager.

Then you can download Microsoft's health check app to see if your system is compatible.

are you sure, my asus z390 has tpm 2.0, i had to enable it in bios though, its not a physical chip

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

2 hours ago, Snowblind said:

are you sure, my asus z390 has tpm 2.0, i had to enable it in bios though, its not a physical chip

Not sure what you're saying but I suspect you've misunderstood my post.  But that's ok! 🙂   Glad you have a TPM.

6 minutes ago, epoch said:

Not sure what you're saying but I suspect you've misunderstood my post.  But that's ok! 🙂   Glad you have a TPM.

He's saying theres no reason why you dont have TPM 2.0.  Its a good chance you have it; if you have any questions in how to find it, contact Gigabyte Customer Service and see how to activate it. If you have an intel processor later than 6th Gen (7800 to current) you have TPM 2.0 in some way, shape or form.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

13 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

He's saying theres no reason why you dont have TPM 2.0.  Its a good chance you have it; if you have any questions in how to find it, contact Gigabyte Customer Service and see how to activate it. If you have an intel processor later than 6th Gen (7800 to current) you have TPM 2.0 in some way, shape or form.

Not sure why you think I need any assistance!  I'm fine thank you.  I've worked in IT for over 30 years so I know my way around a computer, especially my own!

My Z390 has a 12-pin TPM 2.0 header, for an optional TPM chip which can be bought separately if required.  Some variants of the same board any by other vendors may already have the chip installed (and either enabled or disabled in UEFI).  Some ASUS Z390 boards have one, some don't.  There are several variants of the board.  That said, the TPMs are now getting quite difficult to get hold of (or have rocketed in price) due to the Win11 announcement, which is why the on-CPU alternative is a great option.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, epoch said:

My Z390 has a 12-pin TPM 2.0 header, for an optional TPM chip which can be bought separately if required.  

If your machine does not have a dedicated TPM chip, your CPU may have an equivalent built in. Specifically, Intel integrates Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT) in its modern processors, while AMD uses something called PSP fTPM ... so, check first your specific processor before buying a separate module. I worked on IT for many years too. 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

41 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

If your machine does not have a dedicated TPM chip, your CPU may have an equivalent built in. Specifically, Intel integrates Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT) in its modern processors, while AMD uses something called PSP fTPM ... so, check first your specific processor before buying a separate module. I worked on IT for many years too. 👍

You're repeating exactly what I said earlier in the thread.

👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epoch said:

You're repeating exactly what I said earlier in the thread.

OK; sorry, just trying to help .. didn't read the whole thread.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, epoch said:

Not sure why you think I need any assistance!  I'm fine thank you.  I've worked in IT for over 30 years so I know my way around a computer, especially my own!

My Z390 has a 12-pin TPM 2.0 header, for an optional TPM chip which can be bought separately if required.  Some variants of the same board any by other vendors may already have the chip installed (and either enabled or disabled in UEFI).  Some ASUS Z390 boards have one, some don't.  There are several variants of the board.  That said, the TPMs are now getting quite difficult to get hold of (or have rocketed in price) due to the Win11 announcement, which is why the on-CPU alternative is a great option.

Im sorry, I missed your resume. Must have been misplaced somewhere here in the forums.  🤨

My wallpaper and skins

I wouldn't worry too much even Win10 isn't compatible with DCS .  😄😄

• Like 4

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .