SAM Sites Asset Pack - A 3D assets mod to populate you SAM sites, FARP and other bases

LetMePickThat

7 hours ago, LetMePickThat said:

Please give a shot at Beta 1.8.1.

There was indeed a problem with the regular ZU-23 technical, but I wasn't able to see anything wrong with the other, non-AAA vehicles.

I get the idea, but modelling realistic human beings is a nightmare and this would take a long time. There are already versions of the Toyota with or without light weaponry in the trunk (AKs, RPGs, the like) so you can already set up civilian and militia convoys.

I second that. I like the idea, but modelling the existing humans was quite a challenge, so to load a pickup full of possibly different individuals seem like a daunting enterprise to me, so will have to be low on our to do list, sorry 😊

Edited by Strigoi_dk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

I have a lot of mods on my users folder. I will check what is in conflict with this.

Thanks

A potential conflict would be if another mod used a texture with the same name as our own glass texture. Look for mods adding vehicles or buildings with transparent windows.

Would you be so kind to tell me what is the name of the glass texture file of your mod? 

That´s what im looking for first

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

1 hour ago, LetMePickThat said:

Do you mind if I add it to the pack ?

Of course, feel free to use it as you see fit .. I will send you the Word original by PM, so that you can edit it a bit if needed. 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Since the HDSM (as well as another upcoming mod we're working on) try to blend in DCS' default naming convention for AA systems, I've elected to keep that approach for AA units of the Asset Pack. The way I see things, structures can have the ERO prefix because it doesn't matter how they're named, but that isn't the case for vehicles because that name is used in AAR and in-game when labels are used.

I'd be curious to know what others think about that.

OK, I see your point, but even so, when editing a mission it is really useful to be aware if the unit I'm using is part of a Mod or not ... I know that I can use the ME Unit List to check on that, but it is kind of cumbersome. 

Perhaps you could add " (by ERO)" at the end of the Unit name? 

like this:  "AAA ZU-23 Toyota Armed technical (by ERO)"

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 hours ago, LetMePickThat said:

Yes. Since the HDSM (as well as another upcoming mod we're working on) try to blend in DCS' default naming convention for AA systems, I've elected to keep that approach for AA units of the Asset Pack. The way I see things, structures can have the ERO prefix because it doesn't matter how they're named, but that isn't the case for vehicles because that name is used in AAR and in-game when labels are used.

I'd be curious to know what others think about that.

I'm firmly against this approach, as it makes tracking the modded objects unnecessarily hard when creating missions or complex templates. It doesn't have to be a prefix, of course. Anything that'll make it clear that this object is a part of that mod will do.

• Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

3 minutes ago, Minsky said:

I'm firmly against this approach, as it makes tracking the modded objects unnecessarily hard when creating missions or complex templates. It doesn't have to be a prefix, of course. Anything that'll make it clear that this object is a part of that mod will do.

Maybe this is obvious to point out, but there is a column in the Unit list inside the ME that lists the module or external mod that the unit comes from. The list is sortable by that column so it should be fairly easy to find anything from a particular mod.  

DCS_38Xwq8Hkw5.png

3 minutes ago, Scaley said:

Maybe this is obvious to point out, but there is a column in the Unit list inside the ME that lists the module or external mod that the unit comes from. The list is sortable by that column so it should be fairly easy to find anything from a particular mod.  

Yes, but the problem arises earlier, when you're choosing an object for placement. You have to double-check everything, constantly.

Not the end of the world, sure. But, as I said, it makes things unnecessarily harder. Just so a user with the labels on would see "SAM SA-23 S-300VM Giant TEL B" instead of "SAM SA-23 S-300VM Giant TEL B - HDSM".

• Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

4 hours ago, Strigoi_dk said:

I second that. I like the idea, but modelling the existing humans was quite a challenge, so to load a pickup full of possibly different individuals seem like a daunting enterprise to me, so will have to be low on our to do list, sorry 😊

Thanks, maybe skinning the driver in several poses will do the trick, but I have no real idea of 3d modelling. Will be patient!

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

7 minutes ago, Minsky said:

Yes, but the problem arises earlier, when you're choosing an object for placement. You have to double-check everything, constantly.

Not the end of the world, sure. But, as I said, it makes things unnecessarily harder. Just so a user with the labels on would see "SAM SA-23 S-300VM Giant TEL B" instead of "SAM SA-23 S-300VM Giant TEL B - HDSM".

The problem with "SAM SA-23 S-300VM Giant TEL B - HDSM" is that it doesn't fit in the drop-down menu, that's why we elected to use a prefix in the first place. 

I guess it boils down to the conception people have of mods. My position is that a mod is good when its presence isn't felt by the end-user and integrates well within the rules set by the base game, but that might be just me. I will set up a poll and see what people prefer.

EDIT: also, I'm not sure to understand why you would care wether a unit is from a mod or not. Even when sharing missions with others, the list of needed mods is displayed.

Edited by LetMePickThat

22 minutes ago, LetMePickThat said:

The problem with "SAM SA-23 S-300VM Giant TEL B - HDSM" is that it doesn't fit in the drop-down menu, that's why we elected to use a prefix in the first place. 

I guess it boils down to the conception people have of mods. My position is that a mod is good when its presence isn't felt by the end-user and integrates well within the rules set by the base game, but that might be just me. I will set up a poll and see what people prefer.

I was deliberately exaggerating. My point is, an average user (providing they have the full labels & BDA enabled) probably wouldn't care about the name -- as long as that name makes sense.

But I respect your point of view. It's just the mission designer in me grumbles 😄

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

53 minutes ago, Scaley said:

Maybe this is obvious to point out, but there is a column in the Unit list inside the ME that lists the module or external mod that the unit comes from.

Yes, it is obvious ... as I said on my post: "I know that I can use the ME Unit List to check on that, but it is kind of cumbersome." 🙄

Beta 1.8.2 is out.

No change to the content of the mod, but thanks to @Rudel_chwthere is now a catalog of 2SAP units in the Doc folder of the mod.

16 minutes ago, Minsky said:

I was deliberately exaggerating. My point is, an average user (providing they have the full labels & BDA enabled) probably wouldn't care about the name -- as long as that name makes sense.

But I respect your point of view. It's just the mission designer in me grumbles 😄

I'll ask around in the various squadrons using the mod intensively, see what they think about that. If that's a problem for them as well, we'll change the naming convention to something else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Scaley:

DCS_38Xwq8Hkw5.png

Yes, but after you placed a unit... 😉

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 12/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, LetMePickThat said:

but that isn't the case for vehicles because that name is used in AAR and in-game when labels are used.

In each vehicle .lua, there's a possibility to define a shorter name for labels and the F10 map. Example with the Handy Wind:

GT.Name = "HandyWind"
GT.DisplayName = _("Bulker Handy Wind")
GT.DisplayNameShort = _("HndWnd")

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eight Ball said:

In each vehicle .lua, there's a possibility to define a shorter name for labels and the F10 map. Example with the Handy Wind:

GT.Name = "HandyWind"
GT.DisplayName = _("Bulker Handy Wind")
GT.DisplayNameShort = _("HndWnd")

I'm well aware, but you can't use the short name in the unit list. It also requires the user to actively set up the game to use the short names, something most people don't even know is a thing.

Edited by LetMePickThat

Ah, sorry I must have misunderstood the issue. I thought what was preventing you from using prefixes was the fact it would also appear in labels.

And in the version of the sam sites assets pack I use (not the latest admitedly) I didn't see the shorter name being used so I thought you might be unware of the feature.

It also requires the user to actively set up the game to use the short names

I must have enabled that option without realising it. Where is it located? I've checked the main and the mission options and I cant find anything about display names

12 minutes ago, Eight Ball said:

Ah, sorry I must have misunderstood the issue. I thought what was preventing you from using prefixes was the fact it would also appear in labels.

It's part of the problem, but the real killer (and the reason we don't use them on AA/SAM names) is that long names exceed the maximum length permitted by the drop down menu of the mission editor... ^^'

13 minutes ago, Eight Ball said:

And in the version of the sam sites assets pack I use (not the latest admitedly) I didn't see the shorter name being used so I thought you might be unware of the feature

The latest version uses it for most units. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Eight Ball said:

I must have enabled that option without realising it. Where is it located? I've checked the main and the mission options and I cant find anything about display names

It's a "passive" option: you're cycling through the long, short, dot and no label modes when using shift+F10.

38 minutes ago, LetMePickThat said:

It's a "passive" option: you're cycling through the long, short, dot and no label modes when using shift+F10.

But AFAIK the display name remains the same regardless of the labels mode. the Handy Wind will always show up as "HnDWnd" wether you're in full or abreavited mode.

But anyway, it's irrelevant given this:

40 minutes ago, LetMePickThat said:

It's part of the problem, but the real killer (and the reason we don't use them on AA/SAM names) is that long names exceed the maximum length permitted by the drop down menu of the mission editor... ^^

Oh I see. That's a bummer indeed. Makes it even harder to please everyone, hey 😁

Thanks again for this mod and the High Digit SAMs, both are definitely in my "must have" mods 🙂

13 minutes ago, jaghammer said:

Hello,

great Mod.

could you make it OVGME Ready pls 🙂

Just create the folders path and you can use it with OVgme.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.