question about liveries

Go to solution Solved by Rudel_chw,

there are so many topics when i searched word liveries. so i thought i would ask. 

i have a slew of liveries that i have put in "\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\A-10C_2" none of these show in loadout screen

i have a couple in "\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\A-10\Liveries\A-10CII" and these show in the loadout screen

do i have a folder naming problem? where should they go? i thought it was generally best to put all custom stuff in the Saved Games instead of the main sim folder so updates do not whack them.

thank you

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

15 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

there are so many topics when i searched word liveries. so i thought i would ask. 

i have a slew of liveries that i have put in "\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\A-10C_2" none of these show in loadout screen

i have a couple in "\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\A-10\Liveries\A-10CII" and these show in the loadout screen

do i have a folder naming problem? where should they go? i thought it was generally best to put all custom stuff in the Saved Games instead of the main sim folder so updates do not whack them.

thank you

You have it right with the latter option. The "\DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\A-10\Liveries\A-10CII" is where the liveries go!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• Solution
13 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

so get to question. why does there seem to be no standard? hornet i swear is in saved games...

Hi, actually Saved Games IS the proper standard ... you just had the folder name wrong, it is "A-10CII", like this:

iJBVyXW.jpg

and they will show on the Sim, like this:

uc7QuBg.jpg

Placing them in CoreMods is wrong, because a DCS Update or a Repair could delete them.

Eduardo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi, actually Saved Games IS the proper standard ... you just had the folder name wrong, it is "A-10CII", like this:

iJBVyXW.jpg

and they will show on the Sim, like this:

uc7QuBg.jpg

Placing them in CoreMods is wrong, because a DCS Update or a Repair could delete them.

Eduardo

Not to be negative but I have been putting all of my liveries in DCS World Openbeta/coremods/aircraft/liveries. I have never changed and never had an update change or delete them. I've only had issues when I put them into the saved games folder. In fact, @silverdevilfound this out through doing it this way, it works! He stated that he could not see them when he placed them into the Saved Games folder. The standard may be flip flopped around I think! 

No problem. No they will not get removed...if a major change happens with the original skinning, you may see some spots but as a whole, no!
Anything added or changed in program files/Eagle dynamics folder will get removed after every patch. No exceptions.
  • Like 1

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.07.19 - 17.45.41.82.png

winner chicken dinner. i had a feeling i had the folder name wrong! thanks marked solved. i had them in the other folder for at least a year and they were never deleted. i was not sure. thanks for the quick help.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

23 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

Not to be negative but I have been putting all of my liveries in DCS World Openbeta/coremods/aircraft/liveries. I have never changed and never had an update change or delete them.

That's just good luck .. ED makes no guarantees that they will not make changes within the program's folders.

24 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

I've only had issues when I put them into the saved games folder. 

Well, of course if you use the wrong folder name you will have issues ... here is an ED official post regarding where to place user liveries (and user Mods too):

👍

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, Jackjack171 said:

I have been putting all of my liveries in DCS World Openbeta/coremods/aircraft/liveries

"Works for me" should not be confused with "It's the proper way".

All mods and liveries should go to Saved Games; that's been ED's official stance for years.

Plus, that works for me. 😇

• Like 3

On 7/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Yurgon said:

All mods and liveries should go to Saved Games; that's been ED's official stance for years.

I never said it was right or otherwise! Just trying to help a guy dude! Chill!

On 7/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, Zyll said:
On 7/19/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jackjack171 said:
 No problem. No they will not get removed...if a major change happens with the original skinning, you may see some spots but as a whole, no!

Anything added or changed in program files/Eagle dynamics folder will get removed after every patch. No exceptions.

Again, mine have never been deleted or removed. Whether it was luck or an act of god, it is what it is. I was trying to help a guy out! I guess I am the exception, btw!

On 7/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Yurgon said:

Edited by Jackjack171

On 7/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, Rudel_chw said:

That's just good luck .. ED makes no guarantees that they will not make changes within the program's folders.

Well, of course if you use the wrong folder name you will have issues ... here is an ED official post regarding where to place user liveries (and user Mods too):

👍

Yeah, I know about the mods! Maybe it is luck and I hope that @silverdevilgot it sorted out. You guys can do whatever suits you! I was only helping him with what I have on my rig. The inclination that I was misleading him is a bit disturbing! I like how almost everyone here assumed I claimed to be an expert and was wrong. None of my files have ever in the history of me and DCS have ever been affected, corrupted or changed. I'll leave that there! 

Edited by Jackjack171
  • Like 1

Ok all, I've figured it out. We were all right! I began to investigate after I looked at @Rudel_chw's folder structure, compared to mine! I have DCS installed on a different drive, therefore; it doesn't say "Saved Games". Looking at the guidance from Rudel, I found that I mirrored the: you can move all your mods which you put them under "DCS/CoreMods/" or "DCS/Mods/" to here with same structure.

"Saved Game/DCS.xx/CoreMods/aircraft/Ship_AI"

This is my rig I guess, and that's why the confusion! My apologies to any ruffled feathers! 
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

I never said it was right or otherwise! Just trying to help a guy dude! Chill!

I didn't mean to be rude. Apologies if you got that impression.

It's just that people who look for help will come across threads like this one, and then they find a solution that is not recommended by ED. So it may work for a while, or it may get broken with the next update, and then they're back to square one. Or it could break the Integrity Check in multiplayer, preventing them from joining some servers.

In essence, there's a reason the "proper" way is strongly suggested by ED.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yurgon said:

I didn't mean to be rude. Apologies if you got that impression.

It's just that people who look for help will come across threads like this one, and then they find a solution that is not recommended by ED. So it may work for a while, or it may get broken with the next update, and then they're back to square one. Or it could break the Integrity Check in multiplayer, preventing them from joining some servers.

In essence, there's a reason the "proper" way is strongly suggested by ED.

No worries! I guess context is hard to gauge sometimes online for me as well! I'm glad we got it all sorted! 

• Like 1

Also putting anything in game folder will make it unplayable on many servers with Integrity Check, because you modified game files. Saved Games is a proper way and works great with any module, you just to have correct folder name. Same goes with Kneeboards, monitor configs etc.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:01 PM, Rudel_chw said:

👍

Not for nothing, but as a returning player my issue with a lot of the solutions posted is they are from year old posts without working links.  Making the post obsolete...like many of the fixes on the forums.  As an example: I wont struggle with trying to fire HARMS off Sta 4/8 on a -16 cause I was here when it went down.  Every new player is going to submit a bug report.  Good luck.  This is the problem when the support comes from the community and not being documented and maintained by ED. When the community moves on to the next module all the older modules that were maintained by the community fall off. New or returning players just see the mess of documentation and implementation and it makes it a hard pill to swallow spending another 80 on a new module.

Just food for thought.

Just now, CageyLobster said:

... Just food for thought.

... that has no relation with the thread's OP ... what was the point besides cluttering a thread that already has a solution?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

... that has no relation with the thread's OP ... what was the point besides cluttering a thread that already has a solution?

The official post you linked on how to do it was outdated and my remarks do pertain to this topic.  It however is also problem across the board with all modules at this point in varying degrees.

29 minutes ago, CageyLobster said:

The official post you linked on how to do it was outdated ...

It is old, but as regards to Liveries it is still current ... from its 1st post:

"So above is ALL what I know about the DCS structure and tricks.

Although 3 and 4 do NOT work for latest IC, 1 and 2 are still recommended"