Years of stuttering finally solved !

Plon
Go to solution Solved by Plon,

• Solution

Hello, after years of stuttering (30 to 40 fps loss, every 10~20 seconds) in flat screen and VR, years of trying everything I read on DCS forum, I finally find the solution given here :

I just disabled the power service in services.msc

No single stutter since then !

As I don't know the effect of doing this on power consumption and anything else, does anybody knows how I can disable it and enable it with batch file/command line ?

Hope this help people here !

• Thanks 5

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.

Ha, as I just wrote in the original thread, I've been doing this for the past three months or so with no ill or even observable effects. When I'm not gaming my computer is quiet and cool, using very little power. The power plans I set in Windows still seem to be working, there's just no throttling or stuttering when at high usage. 

I can't explain it but it works. I expect it has something to do with how DCS deals with power management or something like that because it doesn't happen in any other game I play. 

Anyways, if you are experiencing regular stuttering every second or two like I was, I suggest giving this a try to see what effect it has. It's a very easy change to undo if you have any issues. Its as simple as typing services.msc in the Windows search bar, find the service called "power", and set it to disabled. I think you have to be in safe mode to do this, so I don't think a batch file will work, unless it includes a reboot command. It's been a few months since I did it though, so feel free to give it a try and see! 

Edited by FupDuck

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

Ok thanks, I did it in normal mode and rebooted the computer. I found a way to do it via cmd line, I will experiment it later. I have to test if a reboot is needed or not.

• Like 1

I9 9900k | RTX 2080 | RAM: 32Gb | DCS Installed on SSD, W10 on another SSD | 1440p Screen | Trackir 5 | HP Reverb G1 | Hotas Warthog + Microsoft force feedback 2 stick + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Homemade 5 axis and  lots of button box.

https://www.coretechnologies.com/blog/windows-services/power/

has it been attempted to just pick high performance or ultimate performance in power settings? 

https://www.howtogeek.com/368781/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan-in-windows-10/

as the first article says, it is not fully understood what effect disabling the service has. i guess if nothing is amiss with your computer after doing so, you are cleared for take off.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I tried ultimate perf, with no change in stuttering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

as the first article says, it is not fully understood what effect disabling the service has. i guess if nothing is amiss with your computer after doing so, you are cleared for take off.

This is pretty much how I live my life 😀

2 hours ago, Plon said:

Ok thanks, I did it in normal mode and rebooted the computer. I found a way to do it via cmd line, I will experiment it later. I have to test if a reboot is needed or not.

Excellent! You are definitely smarter than me! 🙂

Are you sure it's necessary though? Like I said, my power service has been disabled for some time with no discernable effects. Maybe just try it with it off for a bit and see how it goes. 🤷

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

I think I was on ultimate performance settings before shuting down the service... I'm pretty sure that less agressive power settings will perform the same without power service running... If shuting down service keep the last power settings used... I didn't find any information about that.

Edited by Plon

Nice !

Dude what is this trickery??!

I gave this a try, disabling the "Power" service, and all stuttering and "hickups" are gone. FPS might not be much better, but it feels so much smoother now. Thank you!!

• Like 2

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

this tidbit may help the developers in finding why doing this stops the jitters. any empirical data is nonetheless data. 

svchost.exe is a shared service process that allows many Windows services to share a single process. Sharing a single process helps Windows to decrease its overall resource usage. By checking your Windows Task Manager you’ll notice that more than one Windows service can run under svchost.exe.

svchost is a very used portion of windows for all sorts of things. 

Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, Microsoft changed the way services are grouped into host processes. On client computer systems with more than 3.5 GB of memory, services are no longer grouped into shared host processes. Instead, each service is run in its own process. This results in better isolation of services, making the computer system more resilient to service failures and vulnerabilities and easier to debug. However, it adds some memory overhead.

so perhaps doing this just removes a process that puts the computer over a memory limit. dunno really but it makes sense. 

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

What more, I have feeling that the whole picture in VR is more stable. DCS VR picture was always a strain for my eyes, like it was micro flickering compared to VR in Il-2. If I wiggled the virtual stick, its movement had micro stutter but now everything is smooth and firm like looking on real objects, stick moves like real. I am very pleased. Thanks to OP for sharing the fix. 

Edit: roughly at the same time I unchecked "Gaming mode" in GeForce Experience, so I will re-check. 

Edited by jurinko

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Sounds very interesting. I have no particular problems atm, but I will give it a try anyway.

This was my take on it as well. I thought I had no issues, but doing this made me aware about the stutters I'd been having.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

3 hours ago, chrisofsweden said:

This was my take on it as well. I thought I had no issues, but doing this made me aware about the stutters I'd been having.

The stutters where not so awkward in flat screen but totally game-breaker in VR... (I did not use VR in DCS for more than a year because of this).

For the stutters I have, and have always had, there is no difference. Not that I expected there to be. All of my stutters in this game come from clunky AI coding battering an already sweating single core. 

Whilst I remain on the fence as to whether this is a fix for DCS or a solution to a past misconfigaration/incorrect power settings implmentation in windows itself, Im happy for those it helps nonetheless. 

• Like 3

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Power Service enabled:

11-01-2022, 19:50:36 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 11837 frames rendered in 139.907 s
                     Average framerate  :   84.6 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   71.1 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   95.6 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   73.8 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   47.0 FPS
11-01-2022, 19:53:17 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 11784 frames rendered in 139.844 s
                     Average framerate  :   84.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   74.1 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   95.2 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   71.6 FPS
11-01-2022, 19:56:30 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 11764 frames rendered in 139.843 s
                     Average framerate  :   84.1 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   74.3 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   95.1 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   73.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   71.5 FPS

Power Service disabled:

11-01-2022, 20:22:12 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 11752 frames rendered in 139.797 s
                     Average framerate  :   84.0 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   69.7 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   97.5 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   49.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   38.7 FPS
11-01-2022, 20:24:55 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 11773 frames rendered in 139.750 s
                     Average framerate  :   84.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   74.4 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   94.8 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   62.5 FPS
11-01-2022, 20:27:38 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 11663 frames rendered in 139.406 s
                     Average framerate  :   83.6 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   71.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   95.3 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   49.0 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   37.4 FPS

Take note of the 0.1% low fps. If anything - turning of the power service made things worse for me. I can't do a proper Benchmark in VR though.

• Thanks 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

i still think has track ir has something to do w/ stutters, as someone once pointed out you can use ur mouse to look around w/ no stuttering but w/ track ir there is stutters.  But also these threads are hard to distinguish what severity of stutters we are talking about, unplayable? noticeable stutters? lower fps stutters? lag from server?  

• Like 1

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I think there is definitely tons of different source of stutters... I'm just sharing the solution I found to resolve my problem if it can help someone else. I played all the evening on multiplayer caucasus server without a single stutter or loss of fps. I had before a freeze every 20-30 seconds. Solid 45 fps all the time now. in vr. DCS was unplayable in VR before.

19 minutes ago, Plon said:

I think there is definitely tons of different source of stutters... I'm just sharing the solution I found to resolve my problem if it can help someone else. I played all the evening on multiplayer caucasus server without a single stutter or loss of fps. I had before a freeze every 20-30 seconds. Solid 45 fps all the time now. in vr. DCS was unplayable in VR before.

Please dont think Im de-crying this. It seems to be helping quite a few whatever the reason so well worth sharing. 

There are also a whole host of other things that can be reported as issues but are caused by software such as Afterburner polling a lot of things a lot of tiimes. I had an irksome tick that was caused by Avast over-zealously scanning automatically even when supposedly dosabled. That simply needed some default settings deactivating. 

It does no harm at all to give people information that they can troubleshoot with. Especially if it can fix something for them. 

3 hours ago, will- said:

i still think has track ir has something to do w/ stutters, as someone once pointed out you can use ur mouse to look around w/ no stuttering but w/ track ir there is stutters.  But also these threads are hard to distinguish what severity of stutters we are talking about, unplayable? noticeable stutters? lower fps stutters? lag from server?  

There as many different takes on what TIR does and doesnt do when when the fps is away from its 120/60 capture rate as there are units sold. Some will say it doesnt affect them, others (like me) will anchor the fps using vsync as they will tell you it does. The stutters here are describes as fairly regular "ticks" which id say are unlikely to be TIR induced (usually that the "when I turn my head" sorta posts). 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Agreed. Different problems affect different people at different times. It's never harmful to post a possible solution/improvement.

@Plon I didn't mean to debunk anything. I don't suffer from noticeable "regular" framedrops in the first place. I just figured that measuring if the 0.1% low fps change would be the closest I can get to see any effect. Be aware that in 2D with a good average framerate, you don't even notice those differences in my measurements above (unless perhaps you are very sensitive).

If for whatever reason, a windows system draws resources every now and then to do "something" with the power service - it is very well possible that it affects DCS. Perhaps I'm uneffected due to different power settings, because I use a ryzen... or any other variable - I don't know!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@Hiob Thank you for doing this test, digging the problem and being constructive as I don't have time to do it myself. In 2D I played with 60+ FPS (60Hz display) and never drop below exept during these stutters.

I tried almost every solution found here without success, I've changed so much settings windows side, it's hard to keep any trace of what I did past year. So much thing could be linked.. Or not... 🙂

The fix do not affect nor improve overall FPS, but definitely eliminate all stutters I had. (More than 4 hours playing VR online without a single stutter).

To see if there is any correlation between hardware (AMD/Intel...) and power service fix, @jurinko, @chrisofsweden and everyone else who find this fix usefull, could you please post your specs ?

Also I will try to reinstall Tacview to see if it introduce stutters now.

5600x, 3070, 32gb ram, x570 based mobo, HP G2, Win10

It is like some internal throttle was removed, I rock the wings and the scenery moves smoothly like in reality, even above small cities. Only low in the woods or big cities the picture shimmers a bit since I am on almost highest settings, 1.0/100% resolution. This is something I imagine Vulkan should bring.