2022 DCS Newsletter Discussion - Week 3 - Introducing DCS: MB-339A Aermacchi

NineLine

17 minutes ago, NineLine said:

I think he means they operate in much longer distances, in many cases much longer/farther than our maps cover.

if it's a big cool plane and fun to fly, I can't see there's any problem with a shorter route.

Besides, anyone who really wants to do a ten-hour round trip can just hit autopilot and put the game at 1/16th speed. They can go have dinner and a bath, maybe a movie and a nap, while the plane lumbers through the inky darkness for a couple of hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

3 hours ago, Beirut said:

if it's a big cool plane and fun to fly, I can't see there's any problem with a shorter route.

Besides, anyone who really wants to do a ten-hour round trip can just hit autopilot and put the game at 1/16th speed. They can go have dinner and a bath, maybe a movie and a nap, while the plane lumbers through the inky darkness for a couple of hours.

Although rare, both bombers can be forward deployed to locations if their needed to hit something that's time critical that requires more Micheal Bay than can be delivered by the equivalent number of MudHens

• Like 2

Love the bombers!  The BUFF looks much better than the Bone (biased, BUFF FTE here), although the CEM -10/28 modules look good as does the rotary.  As of 2008 when I left bombers the BUFF was Litening only and only the Bone had Sniper, so hopefully we'll get that model as well (Litening on BUFF).  The HSAB's look good, they'll look better with bombs, just no GBU-38's on the bottom middle stations please.

One nit to pick, the flaps, slats and spoilers would never be deployed with that much sweep on the wing.  IIRC they were limited to 25 degrees for flaps/slats and inboard spoilers locked out with more sweep.

Edited by mkellytx

I will again ask, when is ED going to resume providing paint kits for AI assets? Over the last couple of years nice, improved models have been introduced and yet no paint kits were ever released. The SU-34, MIG-31, TU-22, and a number of other AI assets have either been added or reworked with nicely done models, but none have come with even rudimentary paint kits.

With the upcoming S-3 rework providing an important part to representing carrier air wings back from the 70s through to the 20-teens, it will be extremely frustrating if yet again, no paint kit is provided and we are handed only a few skins of some arbitrary choice that don't align with the periods 3rd Party modules such as the F-14 or upcoming A-7 and A-6 cover. 

Please, whether these are being done in-house or outsourced, require at least rudimentary paint kits with separated panel lines and details before they pick up and move on to the next asset. Painting over existing .dds files degrades the quality and the details leaving the only real option being the paint community has to start from mostly scratch, redoing panel lines, rivets, and small details.

• Like 7

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

The newsletter didn't cover the 2022 video. Has there already been official info on what those coordinates meant and the hud reticle?

• Like 4

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

5 hours ago, pimp said:

The newsletter didn't cover the 2022 video. Has there already been official info on what those coordinates meant and the hud reticle?

Not yet.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

11 hours ago, grasnabe said:

And no info about vr ,vulkan and multicore .... it makes my crazy ..... 😞

In the previous thread (Week 1 & 2) the most aticipated features were Vulkan, Multicore, VR optimization and Apache. These were the topics the most users wrote about.

So it's an obvious decision to not write anything about those in the next newletter... 😀

We should be more patient. It seems that they will not like to spread infos on the core topics quarterly, because exactly 3 months have passed after the last real report in this topic ("multicore development report"). Hopefully at the end of January as Apache releases according to plans, we'll have more infos on these other areas as well.

Edited by St4rgun
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

I'm really glad about the S-3, given that it's used for AAR from the carrier. The current model looks hideous up close. The bombers look great, too. 

I'm also rather excited for the Corsair and Essex. I'm not normally into DCS WWII, but since WWII Marianas will be free, and there's little chance of seeing Pacific theatre anywhere else, I think I'll get this one. I only hope the new AI FM will come soon (and an updated AI "brain" along with it), since right now, WWII-style horizontal plane dogfighting is a bit frustrating, to say the least.

• Like 1

Given the detail thats gone into the Buff, are the wrinkes going to be a thing? 

Skin-Buckling-highlighted.jpg

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• ED Team
On 1/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, grasnabe said:

And no info about vr ,vulkan and multicore .... it makes my crazy ..... 😞

We already had a multicore update in a recent newsletter at the end of 2021, if you are expecting weekly updates on progress you will be disappointed. We will share more news in the future, probably when we are close to a public version. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We already had a multicore update in a recent newsletter at the end of 2021, if you are expecting weekly updates on progress you will be disappointed. We will share more news in the future, probably when we are close to a public version. 

thanks

I gave up getting info on these topics, I understand everything you wrote.

Take your time to develop the best graphic engine we can imagine, so please, PLEASE be sure that it will be really stunning in VR. The performance and proper antialiasing is a key, and DSR or other resolution scaler techniques would be nice to be supported. It will take as much time as neccesary, we'll wait for it. Just make somehow the quality equal to the PERFECT details of the 2D version as is now. Thanks for all the hard work!

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

i apologize for this

"And no info about vr ,vulkan and multicore .... it makes my crazy ..... "

I also waitingn for this.... big thing..... when ed has it developed.... waiting and a good product is always better as quick and dirty...... so then take time.... and rule the sim world...

greets

I am happy to see the AI aircraft remodeled, but I also want to see the bombs and missiles they carry remodeled as well. It would be disappointing to see old low-quality missile models being dropped from the great models in the screenshots.

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.

5 hours ago, CommandT said:

Can we actually find out which AI aircraft are on the list to be re-modeled or added? 

From 2021 Roadmap

AI Units

New and Updated assets

Because DCS World is built on a project spanning almost two decades, some units now show their age and will be updated throughout the year. It is also important that we add new units to better fill the battlefields. Here are some of the items that we intend to create or update in 2021:

Large Aircraft: B-52H, Tu-95MS, Tu-142, B-1B, IL-38, and Tu-160

Carrier Aircraft: S-3B and SH-60B

Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”.

Remember, Other AI units was added after that list, none included here has some aditional towed artillery to WW2 and other AI units on 2021. Meanwhile, the mayor part of that roarmap was none added on 2021.

• Like 1