Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

29 minutes ago, greyseal494 said:

any reason why the E model could not be used for carrier operations?

Landing gear was uprated for the naval versions and i think also some aerodynamics changes. Plus DCS/Heatblur would have to add bridle support to be able to launch from a boat (but will come when they do release a navalised version).

Edited by bfr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Biggus said:

Also doesn't fit the elevators.

Wait, if the E doesn't fit the elevators were the RF-4B's just stored on deck at all times?  AFAIK those are pretty much the same length.  Could be wrong though.

crewmen-prepare-a-marine-tactical-reconaissance-squadron-3-rf-4b-phantom-ii-ac8d85-1024.jpg

• Like 4

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

I think the RF-4B wasn't employed all that much on the boat. First, it came to the party later then the RF-4C and when it did, there still were lots of RA-5Cs und especially RF-8Gs around. I did look for some evidence of the nose folding over, but I couldn't find any.

What's interesting, though, is that it had a lot of mods from the F-4J right from the start, or introduced over time:

- slotted stabilator

- uplocked inboard droops

- J79-10 engines were introduced during it's service, while the USAF's RF-4Cs stuck to their short-nozzeled motors (though export RF-4Es had the -17 motor)

- ECM antennas on the intakes, similar to the late Js

The RFs are pretty awesome jets and I do hope that we at least get to see them as AI assets. Now, it would be even more aresome if we could get one as a module, but I guess people aren't ready for a full-time recce platform just yet 😅

• Like 5

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

8 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

....but I guess people aren't ready for a full-time recce platform just yet 😅

I thought so too, back in time, in a different sim. But one day the campaign told me I had to do a Recce flight. It didn't go well.  About a day later, I had to do another photo recon flight, I wasn't liking the assignment, but I was bound  and determined  to push through the campaign to the end,  and doing so meant doing the recon flights. I picked an A-4 Skyhawk... quick,  but NOT fast. I put more than an hour figuring out loadouts, strategy,  map waypoints, figuring out my actions for this, for that,  for the flight. Upon realilsing I'm  being intercepted, do I climb, or do  I descend to gain speed? Do I ignore the interceptor and just hope to maintain enough speed to keep them from getting too close? Drop  tanks? cannon shells full load, or empty to rely on raw speed for defence? 

Do I ditch the Skyhawk for something with afterburners and supersonic ability? Or do I use the light Skyhawk with a tight fuel load, and hope that firewalled dry thrust might be enough? Do I turn aggressively away if intercepted, or carry out the mission while minimising AOA to preserve enough speed to keep  enemy from getting too close?

I opted for the lightest Skyhawk I could manage, just enough fuel  to do the mission. No armaments, I  didn't want any temptation to try shooting down an enemy jet... that would let another get close for shots,  and me by myself is not good for 3 on 1 engagement. Gentle turns, as much airspeed as I could wring out of the  airframe. Dry throttle to the max. Clean airframe, no pylons to slow me down.  Mostly level flight. Not on  the deck, but not too high either. I wanted to be able to dive for the deck if an SA-2 came at me.

Talk about intense... flying telephone poles launched in my general direction.... Migs trying  to get at me. I thread the needle, gently  but really tense. No wingmen to save me. I  get the pics. Gentle turn to go home, not too hard a turn, gotta keep that airspeed pegged as high as possible. Oh crap, a Mig is gaining on my quickly.... a minute later I'm sprayed with giant green tracers.... I pitch up and roll, again gently to keep my  speed, but enough to ruin his aim, throw  the trace off.... another burst. misses... gentle manoeuvres, he's in full burner and I'm dead meat!!

Wait, I  haven't seen green tracers in a minute... look  back... he's RTB !! Must have burned all the way to Bingo fuel and had to disengage! 

That flight caused me to go from thinking recon fliights were not-fun drudgery to some of the most fun I've ever had in a simulator! Became on of my favourite taskings!

A later flight had me bring maybe 50 cannon shells, and I managed to get a target of opportunity, without sacrificing raw airspeed... aim was great, and it went down  in flames. No he was not doing full ACM, just an unlucky rookie caught by surprise, and me with just enough shells to connect and do damage. Dodging SAM's in later missions. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully we'll get some form of reconnasiance feature with the TARPS pod instead of it just being deadweight.  Maybe it just outputs a screenshot with the TARPS symbology on it or however the pictures looked.  Although an RA-5 would definitely be an interesting aircraft to fly.  RF-8 could be good too.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

3 hours ago, Stackup said:

Hopefully we'll get some form of reconnasiance feature with the TARPS pod instead of it just being deadweight.  Maybe it just outputs a screenshot with the TARPS symbology on it or however the pictures looked.  Although an RA-5 would definitely be an interesting aircraft to fly.  RF-8 could be good too.

Wasn’t the TARPS pod for the F-14? The only podded recce the Phantom carried was the (massive!) EMI pod.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

5 minutes ago, G.J.S said:

Wasn’t the TARPS pod for the F-14? The only podded recce the Phantom carried was the (massive!) EMI pod.

Yes, but we were discussing reconnaisance in general.  Which is why I brought it up.

1 hour ago, G.J.S said:

Not quite. Meet the RF-4EJ:

image.jpeg

The JASDF operated a batch of F-4EJs modified to carry a French made TACER electronic recce pod, a LOROP (pictured) , and an inline IR camera pod. All were mounted to the belly stations. It’s the only recce Phantom II to have the M61 cannon & AIM-7 capability.

Edited by Kalasnkova74
  • Like 6

Question: Will HB implement RF-4E in the future? Or, we wish to have it?  Thanks.

Edited by scommander2

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

7 hours ago, scommander2 said:

Question: Will HB implement RF-4E in the future? Or, we wish to have it?  Thanks.

IIRC, we're wishing to have it.

14 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Tactical reconnaissance is another role we need to add to DCS. Picture a dynamic campaign needing to dispatch reconnaissance aircraft like RF-4s, RF-101s, RA-5s, etc to track down Scuds. 

Not only that. Imagine a multiplayer environment where your coalition only has a generic idea of where enemy mobile targets are located (armoured columns, SAMs, supply convoys, etc); players take off in recce mission and when they locate the enemy assets the F10 map is updated with the exact position and coordinates of the spotted enemy assets, either in real time if the recce aircraft has datalink capabilities, or when the aircraft lands safely on a friendly airport. Add to that the time factor, making the information degrade with passing time, making a new recce mission necessary and you have a whole new concept for multiplayer servers. I wonder if this can already be implemented via scripting (not a programmer, so I really have no idea if it can be done, even in the future).

As for this:

11 hours ago, Stackup said:

Maybe it just outputs a screenshot with the TARPS symbology on it or however the pictures looked.

IFE is almost ready to deploy that capability for the MB-339, it's just the gun camera, but I'm guessing it can be done for any type of recording device out there. It should be out with next patch.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Gianky said:

to deploy that capability for the MB-339, it's just the gun camera, but I'm guessing it can be done for any type of recording device out there. It should be out with next patch.

Yes please!  😃

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Gianky said:

IFE is almost ready to deploy that capability for the MB-339, it's just the gun camera, but I'm guessing it can be done for any type of recording device out there. It should be out with next patch.

And they've said this is a prototype for the G.91, which was very much a photo recce platform.

• Like 4

Just now, TLTeo said:

And they've said this is a prototype for the G.91, which was very much a photo recce platform.

Yep!

And, if we want to get the conspiracy train going, IFE and HB already cooperate on the F-14 to bring it from DCS to MSFS... 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Not quite. Meet the RF-4EJ:

image.jpeg

The JASDF operated a batch of F-4EJs modified to carry a French made TACER electronic recce pod, a LOROP (pictured) , and an inline IR camera pod. All were mounted to the belly stations. It’s the only recce Phantom II to have the M61 cannon & AIM-7 capability.

Wasn’t aware of that one. Thanks for the info 👍🏻

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I too enjoy a good recce mission. It would be nice to have RF-4B/C Recce Phantoms. The USMC B for carrier operations with post SURE upgrade with updated navigation, sensors, ALQ-126B DECM and slotted stabs. A USAF C, preferably a late 70's-80's RF-4C, with ARN-101/DMAS, G-139 LOROP pod, UXD-1 Laser recce pod, AVQ-26 PAVE Tack (39 A/C), ALQ-119/131 DECM pods and, towards the very end of their service lives, some machines carried AIM-9L/M. I doubt it will happen though.

Early B from 60-early 70s.

0429711.jpg

Two post SURE upgrade RF-4B's

1088676.jpg

Note the PAVE Tack on the belly of this Alconbury bird.

photo_9999_23923.jpg

Bergstrom AFB 67th TRW

photo_9999_172300.jpg

I'd go for a RA-5C or Recce Voodoo as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"