OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

good copy on the first 2 - will try that. 
Regarding GPU locking ; how do I do it  / what do you mean by that? It's slightly OCd via the software it came with 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

21 minutes ago, Thanatos31 said:

good copy on the first 2 - will try that. 
Regarding GPU locking ; how do I do it  / what do you mean by that? It's slightly OCd via the software it came with 

You got to google how to overclock your GPU. But the gist is that in DCS I don't let my card downclock and then upclock (a power saving feature which with any other game actually works really well) however it can give kangaroo performance as the card is rapidly up and down clocking. Especially in CPU limited scenarios where the graphics card is waiting for CPU. Here are my settings, (Don't copy and paste them, also ignore the 10% as I have upped the power limit of the card via MorePowerTool). Notice how close Min Freq is to Max. Go through the AMD Graphic Card threads and learn from them as they still apply equally to OpenXR

image.png

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 1

@nikoelcan you note that MSFS users need to re-install OpenXR Developer Tools ? They likely have a beta version that wasnt properly updated by MS, even though it shows latest release. Reinstalling fixed the framerate dips for several people.

Edited by winghunter
  • Thanks 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

19 minutes ago, cerealex said:

Hi! Anyone has try this new OpenXR update with Quest 2 with better performance than vrperfkit or OTT + shaders?

My statement on the OpenXR/Open Composite discord
image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

45 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

My statement on the OpenXR/Open Composite discord
image.png

image.png

image.png

Just some questions Diamond

1. You launch it via SteamVR? For any reason i cant launch by SteamVR, a get an error pointing to a local address of Jhabba user

2. I can launch it via Oculus but i get a very notorious fisheye effect, i dont know why, and i have reinstalled multiple times but always i get the fisheye effect.

I installed OpenXR Toolkit 1.0.4 and OpenCompositeACC 0.6.2, exactly the file OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.2.zip, copying d3dcompiler_47.dll, opencomposite.ini and openvr_api.dll on DCS bin directory

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

1 minute ago, 5ephir0th said:

Just some questions Diamond

1. You launch it via SteamVR? For any reason i cant launch by SteamVR, a get an error pointing to a local address of Jhabba user

2. I can launch it via Oculus but i get a very notorious fisheye effect, i dont know why, and i have reinstalled multiple times but always i get the fisheye effect.

I installed OpenXR Toolkit 1.0.4 and OpenCompositeACC 0.6.2, exactly the file OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.2.zip, copying d3dcompiler_47.dll, opencomposite.ini and openvr_api.dll on DCS bin directory

Try altering the field of view slider inside ToolKit. I got the same effect when I changed it from 100 to 90% to get a better real world perception of speed

6 hours ago, Thanatos31 said:

PBO via ryzen master only ; I’ve updated my bios as well but can’t seem to find the PBO options there 

What board? Usually start under advanced.

Mine:

OC.jpg

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Anybody got a NVG mod working after switching to OpenXR? None of mine work anymore. No idea how to fix them..

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

OpenXR with DCS is really a game changer for me...

Odyssey Plus VR Headset
9700k OC to 5Ghz
32GB RAM
2080Ti
PD 1.0 / OpenXR 150%, MR On/Unlocked

DCS Settings mostly cranked up (terrain shadows still flat, MSAA 2x)

These settings give me 30hz with MR filling in to 90.  I dont get much in the way of blurries with the MR, probably because the headset doesn't quit have the resolution of a G2...

I can dial back OpenXR or DCS settings a little when using multiplayer or missions with a lot of AI, but this gives me the clearest/sharpest and smoothest FPS of anything I have tried... and i have tried a lot!  Definitely a keeper.

Edited by j9murphy

If you have an AMD card. Are able to render above 45FPS. Are really not into this kinky reprojection business but still a connoisseur of smooth tracking and are getting stuttering/juddering. Enable Radeon Chill and set 45FPS min and 45FPS max. Enjoy your locked 45 without bubbles/artifacts. This will come at a small cost of slight ghosting when merging at Mach 1.3. Might be worth the tradeoff (As was pointed out by @Baldrick33 it doesn't need to be 45FPS and you can set it to whatever, however going down to 1/2 refresh-rate still produced best results in my testing YMMV

image.png

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nikoel said:

If you have an AMD card. Are able to render above 45FPS. Are really not into this kinky reprojection business but still a connoisseur of smooth tracking. Enable Radeon Chill and set 45FPS min and 45FPS max. Enjoy your locked 45 without bubbles/artifacts. This will come at a small cost of slight ghosting when merging at Mach 1.3. Might be worth the tradeoff 

What is the benefit of locking frame rate to 45 without using motion reprojection? I get that it stops fluctuations but it is still running at half the refresh rate (with accompanied loss of smoothness in my experience)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hi nikoel, 

I'm using steam distribute DCS, and I see SkateZilla's utility doesn't support steam DCS, any idea how do I check my game's clean/complete installation? 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

38 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

What is the benefit of locking frame rate to 45 without using motion reprojection? I get that it stops fluctuations but it is still running at half the refresh rate (with accompanied loss of smoothness in my experience)

You are correct on all accounts

I used 45 as a generally a good number to shoot for as it's half the refresh rate; thus you get the potential advantage of having this off brand v-sync. But the same can be done at higher frame rates. It's not as smooth as reprojected 45FPS as no artificial frames are inserted into the pipeline to form 90FPS; however you don't get the artefacts, ghosting and other bubbles. Based on how important 90fps is to you, I'd say this is not a good solution for you. However this gives an other solution for those who can not stand reprojection and are getting juddering/stuttering at 50-70fps

P.S. Changed wording to better reflect this

37 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Hi nikoel, 

I'm using steam distribute DCS, and I see SkateZilla's utility doesn't support steam DCS, any idea how do I check my game's clean/complete installation? 

You can use inbuilt steam's verify installation/files. I would also encourage you to use the standalone as this is what basically everyone uses or ends up using. You won't lose your purchases, they can be transferred over

Edited by nikoel

With standalone I use the ED batch files from the repair faq to clean up 🙂

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

31 minutes ago, nikoel said:

You are correct on all accounts

I used 45 as a generally a good number to shoot for as it's half the refresh rate; thus you get the potential advantage of having this off brand v-sync. But the same can be done at higher frame rates. It's not as smooth as reprojected 45FPS as no artificial frames are inserted into the pipeline to form 90FPS; however you don't get the artefacts, ghosting and other bubbles. Based on how important 90fps is to you, I'd say this is not a good solution for you. However this gives an other solution for those who can not stand reprojection and are getting juddering/stuttering at 50-70fps

P.S. Changed wording to better reflect this

You can use inbuilt steam's verify installation/files. I would also encourage you to use the standalone as this is what basically everyone uses or ends up using. You won't lose your purchases, they can be transferred over

Thanks for your swift reply sir! 

I didn't know I can transfer from steam to standalone, it sounds like a big project but I'm definitely gonna check it out. I'm tired of opening steam every time I wanted to play DCS, basically I only play DCS (honestly also Arma3) on my PC. I just got my G2 couple days ago and loved this headset so much, I'm also tired of using steamVR or oculus VR. I set my G2 with 2200*2200 per eye resolution, fps stabled at around 60 in the air, but lowered to only 30-40 when flying low in cities. I think 60 fps is enough for me but I hope to increase my resolution to something like 2500*2500 to increase the clarity. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

The steam module licenses can be transferred to standalone, fairly certain there's a guide in the ED FAQs.

Download and install the standalone, transfer the licenses and then you should be able to install the modules.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

4 minutes ago, Harjotdhanota said:

One of my buddies gets the option to enable FFR in the OpenXR in-game menu but I don't. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Have you got the experimental options ticked in the OXRTK companion app?

This has been a game changer (ba-dum tsh 😛 ) for me.  No more SteamVR has crashed messages, and DCS is playable since the last patch borked the delicate balance I had working in VR.  I still get an occasional DCS OpenXR crash on startup, but give it another couple of tries and it'll fire right up and run great.

My only oddity is, I can no longer use F11 while VR is running through OpenXR.  It works fine in flat screen, worked fine in SteamVR, but with this new setup something is blocking the F11 option in the comms menu. I can mouse click on F11 - Previous Menu, but any attempt to hit F11 on the keyboard or use VoiceAttack to send F11 to the game just get ignored.

Has anyone else experienced this when using the comm menu to interact with AI wingmates, ATC, ground crew, and mission options in F10?

I found a line in the opencomposite.ini file for the "for the "performanceStats=disabled" line that says, "; If enabled press F11 to start stats capture to file". It's disabled, but does that mean opencomposite is  stealing the F11 key from DCS and then "disabled" just means it's ignoring that keypress?

If that's what is happening, is there any way to disable F11 in opencomposite and give that back to DCS?

Any recent version updates I might have missed?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark