Where did all the WW2 people go?

flygav

5 hours ago, HotTom said:

No, that definitely is not a flak boat. It's what I'm looking for! Does it exist in DCS?

I know how to nerf the flak boat (put it on weapons hold) but that makes it too easy a target.

I think it was released a time ago. Though I haven't used it myself so I don't know where should it be in ME, sorry.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

12 hours ago, HotTom said:

No, that definitely is not a flak boat. It's what I'm looking for! Does it exist in DCS?

I know how to nerf the flak boat (put it on weapons hold) but that makes it too easy a target.

The U-boat in DCS is not a U-Flak boot. Silver Dragon posted a detailed explanation of why that is. Just because it shoots back doesn't mean it's a flak boat.

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

2 hours ago, Skewgear said:

The U-boat in DCS is not a U-Flak boot. Silver Dragon posted a detailed explanation of why that is. Just because it shoots back doesn't mean it's a flak boat.

Thing is that with AI laser accuracy this u-boot act like flak tower 🙂

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

8 hours ago, Walshtimothy said:

4ya ww2 , www.projectoverlord.co.uk , lots of the old names and lots of new ones flying there now - dcs ww2 aint dead baby 😉https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BORWMNhgRs

Agreed. as a person who has been in dcs ww2 since when we just had the 51, dcs ww2 mp is in its healthiest state ever.  the fact we have 2 compelling mp servers that cater for every type of playstyle is excellent. tbh its up to the community whether dcs ww2 survives and we can not live in the past. if you had said to me that DCS mp would be in this state all those years ago i would of snapped your hand of quicker than the Hungry Crocodile.

Edited by Brigg
idiot spelling
  • Like 5

On 7/13/2022 at 10:41 PM, Skewgear said:

Okay, Skew, indulge me. 

Go into Mission Editor, choose the Channel Map. Choose a navy ship to add. Choose Third Reich. Choose Category: Submarine. What choices do you get?

I get one choice:  "U-boat VIIC U-flak." What do you see?

Put it on your map and look at it. Mine has five AAA guns behind the conning tower. What does yours have?

What I see is called a U-flak (by DCS) and it looks like a U-flak. How is yours different?

Tell me. Please.

Edited by HotTom
  • Like 3

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 1:13 AM, HotTom said:

Okay, Skew, indulge me. 

Go into Mission Editor, choose the Channel Map. Choose a navy ship to add. Choose Third Reich. Choose Category: Submarine. What choices do you get?

I get one choice:  "U-boat VIIC U-flak." What do you see?

Put it on your map and look at it. Mine has five AAA guns behind the conning tower. What does yours have?

What I see is called a U-flak (by DCS) and it looks like a U-flak. How is yours different?

Tell me. Please.

Attached is a picture of the U-boat from the DCS mission editor. Look at the guns installed on the tower. That's one 37mm gun on the lower platform and two twin 20mm mounts above. Note there is no bow-facing gun at all.

Here is an explanation of the U-Flak boats from one of the more well established U-boat history websites on the internet: https://uboat.net/types/u-flak.htm

Note the photo of U-441 towards the end of that article. Do you see that she has three Flakvierlings (quad 20mm guns, one mounted forward of her conning tower) as well as the 37mm gun?

What we have is a well armed but regular Type VII, not a U-Flak boat.

uboat not flak.png

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

29 minutes ago, Skewgear said:

Attached is a picture of the U-boat from the DCS mission editor. Look at the guns installed on the tower. That's one 37mm gun on the lower platform and two twin 20mm mounts above. Note there is no bow-facing gun at all.

Here is an explanation of the U-Flak boats from one of the more well established U-boat history websites on the internet: https://uboat.net/types/u-flak.htm

Note the photo of U-441 towards the end of that article. Do you see that she has three Flakvierlings (quad 20mm guns, one mounted forward of her conning tower) as well as the 37mm gun?

What we have is a well armed but regular Type VII, not a U-Flak boat.

uboat not flak.png

all i know is , theyre SOB's and they always shoot me down lol

now all we need is them to have the ability to dive .... that'd be sweet

• Like 3

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/

4 hours ago, Baltic Dude said:

Personally I'm waiting for the WWII Assets pack to go free before getting into DCS WWII.

My bet is, it won't happen any time soon, asset pack is in continuous development new stuff is added. There are nice discounts from time to time, i advice to use those.

• Like 5

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

22 hours ago, Baltic Dude said:

Personally I'm waiting for the WWII Assets pack to go free before getting into DCS WWII.

There is a lot of free stuff on DCS already: two maps, two aircraft modules, over a hundred AI units. And third parties have added three carriers and dozens of AI units more … when will it be enough, for you to start contributing towards their development?

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 6

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

4 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

There is a lot of free stuff on DCS already: two maps, two aircraft modules, over a hundred AI units. And third parties have added three carriers and dozens of AI units more … when will it be enough, for you to start contributing towards their development?

It is a psychological barrier - WWII modules are cheap compared to modern jet modules, but require the 1-time investment of the assets pack and usually at least one map.

Lets say you are interested in online play: Normandy+assets are offered bundled for $60. Planes are $50. This makes it an entry fee of 3 shop items and ~$110 total (normal rates, not during special sales).

On the other hand, the premium jets are $80 and you can get away without a map. So in comparison this is just 1 item and is cheaper than your first WWII modules. Of course if you want multiple modules, the WWII ones are cheaper, so the totals start to even out after a couple of plane modules that you buy - but this is farther down the road. The entry which is 3 items and about 1/3 more expensive total, turn away potential WWII players.

Just for reference, for $80 ($90 expected at full release state) one can get the “competitors” Normandy map plus 8 flyable planes. Different game different thing I know, but if you are on the market for a WWII western-front sim, this is the reference.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

On 8/9/2022 at 9:47 AM, Bozon said:

It is a psychological barrier - WWII modules are cheap compared to modern jet modules, but require the 1-time investment of the assets pack and usually at least one map.

A bit unfair the comparison, why the jet can be happily flown on Caucasus or Marianas, yet the WW2 can not? For most jets, Caucasus is as fictional as for WW2 planes.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:47 AM, Bozon said:

Just for reference, for $80 ($90 expected at full release state) one can get the “competitors” Normandy map plus 8 flyable planes. Different game different thing I know, but if you are on the market for a WWII western-front sim, this is the reference.

Believe it or not, I do have the competitor:

Sure it is cheaper, and it shows, their mission editor is really poor compared with the one in DCS, the cockpits are nicely modeled, but I have to use the keyboard to interact with it ... in the end, I fly less than a couple hours per month on that Sim, versus a couple of hours per day on DCS, so, who is actually less expensive if I I barely play one while spending all remaining time on the other? .. cheap is not always better  😇

On 8/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, Doughguy said:

People tend to forget the sheer scope of dcs and each module that it brings with... i consider each module an actual "game"... anyone recall falcon 4.0? No?

Yes, same for me .. I fly just a single DCS module during 2-4 months, like it were a single "game" .. I found that I learn it better this way, and then I go on to the next Module ... currently happily flying the Mirage F1 👍

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

It's just annoying that the people who don't have the asset pack then can't join the respective servers.

The penalty should be different, cheap or extremely simple textures.

And as someone already wrote you need 3 products to join dcs ww2 online.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hobel said:

And as someone already wrote you need 3 products to join dcs ww2 online.

Thank god I got fed up with multiplayer servers, nowadays I enjoy my Mosquito much better playing by myself and thus don’t have to deal with people that only cares about free stuff 🙏

• Like 1

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Rudel_chw:

Thank god I got fed up with multiplayer servers, nowadays I enjoy my Mosquito much better playing by myself and thus don’t have to deal with people that only cares about free stuff 🙏

I'm not talking about free things only about philosophy of limitations.

If you want to enjoy the package to the fullest you still have to buy it.

And MP is a big deal when people are looking for a challenge - the easy way is always SP mode.  That's exactly why I prefer it and don't have to deal with stupid ki planes.😛

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 1

Also you Need three+ products to play on damn near ANY sever, its not any different for jets or warbirds.... i would figure people would want the awesome good stuff VS some cheap looking raged out looking flight sim. if they did have a cheap or free or lesser version of it the next thing people would be bitching about is how the people with the paid products can see better or the FM is better ect ect. Before you know it everything is free, and the whole sim goes into the <profanity>ter.

10 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I have spent already something like $500 dollars on DCS, MORE when you include my HOTAS, pedals and Track-IR. If you want more people to try DCS WWII, they need to make WWII Assets pack free. There is a reason why people get into IL-2 first and foremost before trying out DCS: WWII. I have paid my dues, do not tell me I haven't contributed to DCS' development. Not to mention, people can't even take-off from the Kuznetsov aircraft carrier online without payment of NATO's Supercarrier module even if you purchased Su-33. Little things like this that require the purchase of $50 modules absolutely turn people away from an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Edited by Baltic Dude
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

A bit unfair the comparison, why the jet can be happily flown on Caucasus or Marianas, yet the WW2 can not? For most jets, Caucasus is as fictional as for WW2 planes.

Believe it or not, I do have the competitor:

OfnNnfs.jpg

Sure it is cheaper, and it shows, their mission editor is really poor compared with the one in DCS, the cockpits are nicely modeled, but I have to use the keyboard to interact with it ... in the end, I fly less than a couple hours per month on that Sim, versus a couple of hours per day on DCS, so, who is actually less expensive if I I barely play one while spending all remaining time on the other? .. cheap is not always better  😇

Yes, same for me .. I fly just a single DCS module during 2-4 months, like it were a single "game" .. I found that I learn it better this way, and then I go on to the next Module ... currently happily flying the Mirage F1 👍

Dude, you don't need to explain this to me - I am in DCS not IL2, obviously... I even own Kuban and Moscow or something like that - the reason I don't remember is that I only played a couple of hours in that game and stopped. It's not bad, but I don't have time for 2 games and I made my choice. DCS won mostly on account of releasing the Mosquito before IL2 did, and after clicking all the things in the cockpit giggling like a 12 year old girl, and fiddling with the R1155+DF, I can't go back to IL2 cockpits.

The two most popular WWII servers require Normandy+Assets. These account for 80+% of the WWII servers popupation at almost any given time than I am on (too little, I admit). Most of the lesser popular but still (sometimes) not empty servers still require Normandy/Channel+assets. If you want WWII multiplayer on Caucasus without assets, then you have a lot of empty servers to choose from.

• Like 4

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!