Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

On 8/13/2023 at 12:04 PM, fastf1nger said:

Hey @Burt.....i think i missed something here regarding the Redshift fix 🙂 Could you tell me more please?
Thanks mate!

I’m not good at explaining things like this but the latest Varjo update has this Varjo Optical Adjustment tool in a zip file that adjust the red shift issue. If you have the Varjo discord please go to the Greetings-from-Varjo section and it will explain waaaaay better then I can muster. Here’s a copy and paste from there. There is also a guy named Bernhard Berger that has a redshift gui. Tool that’s used with this also I’ll try to find it for you.

-----
How to use tool: 

> 1.    Install Varjo Base 3.10.1. 
> 2.    Connect and run your Varjo headset as usual. 
> 3.    Make sure Automatic IPD adjustment is enabled or manual IPD adjustment is set to a value matching your actual IPD. 
> 4.   Download VarjoOpticalAdjustment.zip from here: 
> https://share.varjo.com/index.php/s/2DKZ3jJ5ZeMy3Bz  

> PW: 5bXDBm4h4O Unzip VarjoOpticalAdjustment.zip to any folder. 
> 5.    Run EnableOpticalAdjustment.bat in the folder to enable OpticalAdjustment with the default value. 
> 6.    The default value is -0.4. You can change the value by editing value.cfg file in the folder and running EnableOpticalAdjustment.bat again. We recommend testing values between -0.3 -- -0.6 to find the value giving you the most optimal visual experience. 
> 7.    You can disable the optical adjustment by running DisableOpticalAdjustment.bat. 
> 8.    If you are having problems with the tool, here are some great tips and help from the community: https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/1077968124630028452/1123988935262085221

Please note that this adjustment is not persistent and needs to be applied again every time Varjo Base is started or if the system is restarted (for example, after changing the resolution quality in Varjo Base). 

We would like to gather more feedback around your experiences with this adjustment, which will help us to plan future features in this area. Please use the feedback form below to tell us how this worked for you https://survey-eu1.hsforms.com/1WFHW3LFKRCe-_LaO0_m_cAfa586
----

Edited by Burt
  • Like 2

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Burt:

Perfect, thanks a million @Burt 🙂

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

1 hour ago, dureiken said:

Hi, I just received my Varjo Aero 🙂 and have a question : in MT with OXR, we still must launch SteamVR ?

thanks

SteamVR will run in background only for lighthouse tracking purposes. Your graphics won't go through it (which is the performance/VRAM hog).

Just make sure OpenXR is toggled in Varjo Base (under System tab).

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

1 hour ago, dureiken said:

Hi, I just received my Varjo Aero 🙂 and have a question : in MT with OXR, we still must launch SteamVR ?

thanks

And you really do not even have to launch Steam VR, it will do so on it's own in the background.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, mbucchia said:

SteamVR will run in background only for lighthouse tracking purposes. Your graphics won't go through it (which is the performance/VRAM hog).

Just make sure OpenXR is toggled in Varjo Base (under System tab).

6 hours ago, dburne said:

And you really do not even have to launch Steam VR, it will do so on it's own in the background.

ok thanks a lot 🙂

going to test DFR now !

Edited by dureiken

8 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

Thinking about buying one strictly for dcs,  is one lighthouse enough?

I tried with 1 and ended buying a second one.   Too many blind spots if you turn your head to look at your 6o'clock

• Like 1

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

12 minutes ago, dureiken said:

If I use Varjo OpenXR, SteamVR doesn't launch, same for you ? thanks

Yes in the background of course, how else would you have Lighthouse tracking?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

12 minutes ago, dureiken said:

I have tracking with Varjo Base ?

image.png

https://varjo.com/use-center/get-started/varjo-headsets/setting-up-tracking/steamvr-tracking/#:~:text=Your Varjo headset uses a,stations to track your headset.

See those two cameras lit up in the upper right of your image? That is the Lighthouse Trackers. Try unplugging them and see what happens... Those cameras rely on Steam VR.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I give up...

Trust me, Aero uses Steam VR for tracking purposes. It is just running in background. Also read the Varjo link I provided.

😉

Edited by dburne

Don B

15 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

Thinking about buying one strictly for dcs,  is one lighthouse enough?

I only use one.. I have a simpit and I mounted my base very high up on the wall and all works well although took me some time to properly adjust so I had no “dead spots”. Prior to my pit I had my single base on a shelf again high above me. 

One note.. with my simpit in the corner of my office I had a piece of artwork on the wall to my left and the glass did cause signal interference when looking left.  I simply removed the art work and everything worked perfectly. 

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

On 8/11/2023 at 7:14 PM, dburne said:

Ok thanks, in my case sometimes it is best to leave things be when they are working good. I will stay with Varjo Foveated a little while longer.

@dburneI just rolled back to Varjo Foveated from QVFR - eye tracking was inconsistent, leading to what looked like only getting the peripheral resolution half the time, though it could just be me.  Everything looks sharper to me in Varjo Foveated... which is what had me digging into the eye tracking in the first place.   Performance seems comparable, but that's hard to judge when I'm not sure I was getting my focus area properly.

https://discord.com/channels/933220354401398785/947051902913376318/1141605552418455592

YMMV

6 minutes ago, Gordy said:

@dburneI just rolled back to Varjo Foveated from QVFR - eye tracking was inconsistent, leading to what looked like only getting the peripheral resolution half the time, though it could just be me.  Everything looks sharper to me in Varjo Foveated... which is what had me digging into the eye tracking in the first place.   Performance seems comparable, but that's hard to judge when I'm not sure I was getting my focus area properly.

https://discord.com/channels/933220354401398785/947051902913376318/1141605552418455592

YMMV

Yeah I am happier with Varjo Foveated, it just works so well and is simple.

Don B

I'm in the same camp as  @dburne. VFR just works, and easier to set up. Did not really notice the smoother transition from peripheral to focus area with QVFR ( set to max 0.5), which was my main reason for trying it. Was able to tune QVFR to have similar visuals as VFR but the latter was performing better on my end. F-16 instant action cold start on Caucasus gave me 79-83 fps with QVFR and 88-90 with VFR. I think I could get it more even if I reduced the focus area a bit on QVFR, as it does seem bigger than VFR if left unaltered.

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

37 minutes ago, Willdass said:

I'm in the same camp as  @dburne. VFR just works, and easier to set up. Did not really notice the smoother transition from peripheral to focus area with QVFR ( set to max 0.5), which was my main reason for trying it. Was able to tune QVFR to have similar visuals as VFR but the latter was performing better on my end. F-16 instant action cold start on Caucasus gave me 79-83 fps with QVFR and 88-90 with VFR. I think I could get it more even if I reduced the focus area a bit on QVFR, as it does seem bigger than VFR if left unaltered.

sorry for the dumb question. I understand what is QVFR from mbucchia, but how just enable VFR ? Just in Varjo Base, without doing anything else ? what are your settings ? thanks

The Varjo Foveated Rendering is a little more streamlined just for Varjo and also you can not use the Open XR Toolkit with it. For me I like things somewhat simple and it just works very well for me.

• Like 2

Don B

12 hours ago, Rodeo said:

I only use one.. I have a simpit and I mounted my base very high up on the wall and all works well although took me some time to properly adjust so I had no “dead spots”. Prior to my pit I had my single base on a shelf again high above me. 

One note.. with my simpit in the corner of my office I had a piece of artwork on the wall to my left and the glass did cause signal interference when looking left.  I simply removed the art work and everything worked perfectly. 

Cheers 🍻

Thanks, another question.   If it's strictly DCS,  do I need controllers or will just a mouse do?

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

9 hours ago, dureiken said:

sorry for the dumb question. I understand what is QVFR from mbucchia, but how just enable VFR ? Just in Varjo Base, without doing anything else ? what are your settings ? thanks

If you now have QVFR:

Only thing you need to do in Varjo Base is to enable Open XR and Eye tracking. Which you also must do to use QVFR.

I use the default settings in VFR. 

3 hours ago, GunSlingerOZ said:

What sort of performance increase does Dynamic Foveated Rendering offer on a top-end system, like my 4090/7950x3d? Is it enough to maintain a 60fps minimum in a relatively busy singleplayer mission?

I have 4090 and 5800x3d and above 3-5k ft I'm almost always at 85-90fps, regardless of what is going on. Pretty much every setting maxed, except for: 2x MSAA, and lens effects OFF, SSLR OFF, SSAA OFF.
Below 3-5k ft I'm mostly at 60+ with the occasional dip below to 45-60 if there is a lot going on below 3-5k feet.

My biggest performance hit comes from Flares. If I'm in a dogfight very close to the bandit and the bandit is spamming flares over a longer period (which the AI does), it hurts my system a lot.

Edited by Willdass

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro