Corsair update

Gunfreak

Any surprise with regards to assets since they already said it would be like that 😅. Anyhow nice to see the update on them so people might come to remember they said there would be Japanese assets.

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Just waiting for them to take my money. Always look forward to these updates. Hopefully the next one will have release information.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:01 AM, LordBlueBaron22 said:

Sadly they also didn't explain how the Carrier will works with players. I don't feel like explaining my theories until someone asks. Just wanted to mention that.

All right, I'll ask. How do you think it might work. It seems like a problem to me. WWII carriers were dependent on the crew for spotting the deck and there's nothing like that in DCS currently.

I am pretty sure they have mentioned that they would like to model that. However I don't think it's going to happen near the release timeline but much later. I assume it's going to be just you and the carrier. That's as far as the landing is concerned. For the catapult elevators and hangar I have no idea. The catapult will probably work like on the Stennis and Forrestal, meaning you taxi to the catapult and then hit a button to hook on to the catapult and another to launch.

We've only seen a few videos of the Corsair's external 3D model rework, not even the whole module external 3D already finished, which may then need a full textures rework either. Probably not far away, but seems still pretty much WIP for them. Let them work.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 6/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, JD Swann said:

All right, I'll ask. How do you think it might work. It seems like a problem to me. WWII carriers were dependent on the crew for spotting the deck and there's nothing like that in DCS currently.

Alright so I've had a few ideas.

1st. Just wing it

This would be the most free and easy to make. Basically you just start below deck and to move you turn on your engine and taxi around. Most crude way this would work. Idk how the elevators or spotting the deck for landing would work.

2nd. Tank Commander

This would be the most fun or practical. Basically you either have invisible or modeled crew on your wings and you hit WASD to move around. Kind of like a tank.

3rd. General

This might be the most practical. In this mode you would still simulate ground crew pushing your plane but instead of directly controlling them you would tell them where to push you. For example you could say move to elevator 1 and you'd get moved kind of like how the repair lifts you up into the air.

4th. The Force

This would be the most restrictive. In this mode you would just get forced around by the deck crew with no control. This is to avoid accidents like someone trying to take off while someone else is landing. The crew would push all the planes to the front of the boat and the players could do nothing about it.

I assume the elevators in the first 3 would be controlled like talking to ATC. In the 4th I guess the elevators would be automatic.

So that's just my guess on how we players would work on the carrier. Hopefully @Rudel could speak on this topic and provide some insight.

https://leatherneck-sim.com/wp-content/uploads/Updates/2022/Summer/F4U1D_Essex_001.png

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys, any news about the progress?

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Magnitude 3,

So, it’s been a year since the last update. I know @Hiromachi posted in January that there weren’t going to be any more updates until you were getting close to release but still, it’s been a year.

Last week you posted some pictures of the damage model which were great. I love to see pictures of new development as it occurs, or new pictures of things which have been finished for some time. Anytime you think of posting a screenshot I would encourage you to go ahead. It doesn’t have to be new.

But anyway, it’s been a year since your last update so I was reading back over some old posts and I had some questions. I’m kind of hoping there’s something on the list that you can address as a sort of mini-update. If not, no problem, I’ll continue to wait for whenever you’re ready to talk.

Here’s what I was wondering:

About the aircraft:
1. Warning lights. You mention in an old update the possibility of having a way to turn off the stall and water/methanol warning light in special options. All of the screen shots I’ve seen seem to have these lights. Are you still planning on making them optional?

2. YE/ZB. You’ve suggested that you’d like to implement the YE/ZB homing system. I think this would be a great addition and just what I need to get me to learn Morse code.  Is this something you’re still planning on? If so is this something you can do on your own or would it require changes to be make to the base game by ED?    

3. Tiny Tim rockets. This seems like a very cool weapon. Big rockets to make big booms. As I understand it once a weapon is fired it becomes the property of the core game which takes control. I assume this means ED would have to update the base game. Do you expect you’ll be able to have these working when you introduce the Corsair?

4. Bat bomb. OK, this looks terrifically cool. But it seems like it will require some fairly significant coding on the part of ED to model the radar homing. It also seems to need some kind of radar display in the cockpit to identify a target but I haven’t seen anything like that in any screenshots. Do you think this is on track for release with the module? Is there anything you’d be willing to share about how this weapon will work in the game?

About the carrier:
1. Spawn points. In pictures of WWII carriers spotted for a strike there are a lot of planes at the back ready to go. Something like this:

1506px-USS_Intrepid_%28CV-11%29_operatin

It looks like the aircraft are placed about four across on the deck and several rows deep. Do you think something like this will be possible to set up in the mission editor? It doesn’t seem like taxiing around the deck was much of a thing on the straight deck carriers. Deck crew took care of the spotting so being able to position planes it a reasonable pre-strike formation seems really useful for mission designers.

2. Barriers and barricade. ED have said that they want to add the barricade to the Supercarrier but so far they haven’t. A barricade is obviously much more important for a straight deck carrier. Is this something you can do yourselves or will it require changes by ED? Do you think it will be working at release?

3. Elevators and hangar doors. You said you want these animated and functional. I’m not sure how I would use them but they would look really cool. I think I saw a picture of an elevator in the down position but I haven’t seen anything with open hangar doors. How is work going on these items?

4. Masts. The Essex class carriers had large masts on the starboard side which apparently are lowered for flight operation and raised at other times. The screenshots I’ve seen all show them down. Do you plan to animate them?

Bonus questions: (I really don’t think there’s any chance of an answer to these.)
1. Zero. The picture at the top of your Facebook page shows a Corsair with a Zero. Is this just decoration or do you think an AI Zero is in the foreseeable future?

2. CVE. @-Rudel- has a model of a Commencement Bay class CVE at the top of his home page in the forums. USS Block Island (or one of her sister ships) would be a great addition to your Corsair. With some USMC liveries and ED’s Hellcat we’d have two thirds of her air group in the game. Flying close air support off a CVE would make for some great missions. I don’t really have a question but if you can make this happen please do!

That’s all I have for now. If you don’t want to respond that’s fine. I’ll get over it.

For everybody thinking “Stop being such a demanding prick. Let them finish their work. They’ll announce things when they’re ready.” You’re right. I’m bad and I feel bad. My only counterargument is: It’s been A YEAR since the last update.

Oh, one last thing. I think it’s pretty obvious from this post that I have a lot of time on my hands. If you need someone to beta test your beautiful new module feel free to ask.

Love,
JD

• Like 8

Great post JD! 👍 A totally reasonable request made in a very polite and respectful manner.

I believe that the Bat bomb was completely autonomous once it was released. I don't think that it required any guidance from the pilot. 

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I believe that the Bat bomb was completely autonomous once it was released. I don't think that it required any guidance from the pilot.

Yeah, I'm thinking it will need guidance from the DCS app, which might mean that finishing it requires an update to the core game by ED. If that's so then Magnitude 3 can't finish it without ED's help.

• Like 1

Has anybody flown it in DCS yet? Beta testers, whoever? How's the flight dynamics?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

1 hour ago, =Mac= said:

Has anybody flown it in DCS yet? Beta testers, whoever? How's the flight dynamics?

You see, that's the real trick now isn't it.  Nobody but the devs has flown it.  It has been flown in DCS as far back as December of 2019 when this video was released and more recently I assume at least some of the shots from the DCS 2023 and Beyond video were flown by human pilots so someone at ED has probably flown it enough to get footage.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

New shots!

0pEy0Et.jpg

7VmO0V0.jpg

j7xb6tq.jpg

Y0iNm0B.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif