WinXP-64bit vs Vista 32 or 64bit...?

thinkr

I read some threads that this game runs faster on Vista 32 bit vs XPPro

but what about WinXP 64bit anyone tried this out?

Is the game even compatible with XP64 bit?

I really dont like Vista System Resource Requirements but thinking about uping to XP64bit... anyone tried this Cons vs Pros on either in GENERAL as an OS. Comparing resources and tipical performance? and or with or without the game? ;)

PS. about 3 more days an my new system gets here hehe Q9550 gonna be o'clocked an rdy to rock...

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

I read some threads that this game runs faster on Vista 32 bit vs XPPro

but what about WinXP 64bit anyone tried this out?

Is the game even compatible with XP64 bit?

I really dont like Vista System Resource Requirements but thinking about uping to XP64bit... anyone tried this Cons vs Pros on either in GENERAL as an OS. Comparing resources and tipical performance? and or with or without the game? ;)

PS. about 3 more days an my new system gets here hehe Q9550 gonna be o'clocked an rdy to rock...

Affinity trick does not work on XP64.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Vista x64 works good - I changed from XP 32bit to Vista 64bit, added another 2Gb of RAM and now BS works beautifully. I get at least a 50% improvement in Vista over XP...some of which is use of CPU cores and some I am sure is due to the extra RAM.

I am on a Core 2 Duo E6600 o/clocked from 2.4Ghz to 3.02Ghz, GeForce 8800GTX, 4Gb of PC8500 ram, Raptor HD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

Same here. Big improvement in BS. FC and IL2 unchanged after Vista (both were perfect anyway).

Smokin' Hole

Vista Ultimate 64

Mac Pro

2 x Intel Zeon Quad

4 Gig Memory (2 Gigs was fine)

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

I run Vista 64. No problems at all. And afinity trick works for me, however I am doing it manualy.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

XP does not natively support multiple CPU or cores.

With XP64 you can adress more memory, but that alone won't help you much, as most applications support no more than 2 GB of RAM.

I have no doubt that BS will run on XP64, but your benefit over XP32 will be insignificant.

• Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Vista64 here. The game isnt optimised for 64bit and isnt coded to thread but setting affinity works to an extent. I need to use the batch scripts not the standalone programs but after that its ok - 15fps or so performance improvement when it uses 2 cores instead of 1. No further improvement after that though.

Ive also got 4gb of RAM so without a 64bit OS it would be a waste of time having that much memory.

I ran the Russian version of Black Shark on my laptop on both Vista and Xp Sp2.

I did notice a performance increase in Vista. Keep in mind though that the DCS process itself IS a 32bit process. In taskmgr it will be listed as:

DCS.exe*32

Vista does like RAM. I will be upgrading my new gaming box pretty soon to at least 6 gigs of RAM when prices come down a little bit.

Vista does like RAM. I will be upgrading my new gaming box pretty soon to at least 6 gigs of RAM when prices come down a little bit.

Hi AlphaInfinity,

You might want to check for yourself, but I am pretty sure 32-bit Vista only recognizes 4GB of memory. Perhaps the 64-bit version recognizes more.

Hi AlphaInfinity,

You might want to check for yourself, but I am pretty sure 32-bit Vista only recognizes 4GB of memory. Perhaps the 64-bit version recognizes more.

Lucky he has Vista 64 then. ;)

I think 32 will only report 3.5GB or I could be thinking of 32bit 2003 without the switch to recognise more..

XP64 has pretty poor driver support if I remember correctly. Not many adopters. MS gave me a copy free but I had to give up a liscense for XP to get it. I haven't used it in 2 years since Vista came out so things may be a bit better now but I doubt it. It wasn't a very stable OS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

So I guess I'll need to have a partition of Vista 64bit for games an XP Pro for the rest...

Are there any problems or hoops to jump through when installing XP Pro on a system that already has say 8GB of ram or will it install ok and just not use the rest?

Question 2: With Vista 64bit does BS actually use more than 2GB to run the game or can it use more if its avalible? Or is there a trick to using more for faster loads say?

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

I could be thinking of 32bit 2003 without the switch to recognize more..

2003 with PAE lets to use even more than 4GB, however all drivers should be PAE aware. Sadly, most consumer grade hardware drivers aren't aware of it and crash often. For example: Creative X-fi suffers from "squeal of death" when 2003 is running with PAE and 4GB of RAM. So even if 2003 can use see more RAM it still has to be forced to limit RAM as in XP. The limit might be 3.6GB, 3.5GB or near it (depending on hardware).

Edited by ZaltysZ

So I guess I'll need to have a partition of Vista 64bit for games an XP Pro for the rest...

Are there any problems or hoops to jump through when installing XP Pro on a system that already has say 8GB of ram or will it install ok and just not use the rest?

Question 2: With Vista 64bit does BS actually use more than 2GB to run the game or can it use more if its avalible? Or is there a trick to using more for faster loads say?

A1: if it is XP 32 bit, then it will only use about 3.5GB.

A2: BS is 32-bit process and is limited to maximum of 2GB of RAM.

vista 32 recognises 3.5 gigs.

I have vista 64 now installed, and I can't wait for my GTX 280 to arrive in the mail :P (old 8500 gt died on me...)

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

So I guess I'll need to have a partition of Vista

I use ReadyBoost in Vista, I pluged in a 4 gig memory stick and set it to use the whole thing for readyboost. Seems to help with load times but I haven't put a stopwatch to it. Memory sticks are cheap I think I paid $20.00 for it...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

vista 32 recognises 3.5 gigs.

I have vista 64 now installed, and I can't wait for my GTX 280 to arrive in the mail :P (old 8500 gt died on me...)

Actually, Vista 32 recognises 4 GB of memory total. That includes the amount of Video memory. It sees video memory first then allocates what is left over to RAM.

Since you are recocnising 3.5Gb of RAM on your system then you likely have a 500mb video card. If you have 1GB video memory you will only get 3 GB RAM etc. So everytime you upgrade your video card your RAM total drops no matter how much you have installed.

• Like 1

Actually, Vista 32 recognises 4 GB of memory total. That includes the amount of Video memory. It sees video memory first then allocates what is left over to RAM.

Since you are recocnising 3.5Gb of RAM on your system then you likely have a 500mb video card. If you have 1GB video memory you will only get 3 GB RAM etc. So everytime you upgrade your video card your RAM total drops no matter how much you have installed.

Thanks for pointing this out again.

Most people don't seem to know that and think 3.5 GB is the amount of RAM left over for programs, while the OS is sucking up the upper part. That's simply not true.

The available addresses for memory include all memory in your machine, including RAM and VRAM. So if you use 2x1GB Graphics cards in SLI or Crossfire mode with a 32bit system, that leaves you 2GB of adressable RAM for programs and windows, no matter how much RAM you installed beyond that.

(Actually that's what makes me laugh so much with some folks posting their PC stats, having 4 or even 8GB of RAM on a 32bit system, together with 2x or even 3xSLI :megalol: )

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

In the past I too thought this was true, but it isn't: usually not the whole VRAM is being assigned addresses from the system-wide address space. For example I have a 1GB card and 4GB of RAM, and both Vista 32 and XP 32 use 3.5GB of RAM, so only 512MB of adress space are being mapped to my vidcard and other devices.

In the past I too thought this was true, but it isn't: usually not the whole VRAM is being assigned addresses from the system-wide address space. For example I have a 1GB card and 4GB of RAM, and both Vista 32 and XP 32 use 3.5GB of RAM, so only 512MB of adress space are being mapped to my vidcard and other devices.

No, what Icarus2 posted is true - technically.

It's not a general rule for pure memory-calculations, though, as some 32bit OS and mainboard-configs allow more RAM to be used, regardless of VRAM installed. They make a difference between RAM and VRAM, thus making more RAM available than above calculation would permit.

This costs calculation time and depending on ServicePack with XP the SWAP-file will be massively used. It also causes a lot of memory paging errors during high-load, which additionally decreases performance.

So, yes, your observation is true. But you won't benefit from it as much as on a 64bit OS for example.