La-7... I'm All In!

StormBat

On 10/15/2022 at 1:51 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Not a chance .. the developer says "early 2023".

Q4 2024 it is then. 

Would like to have this plane. It was my go-to fighter in... the first iteration of the other sim.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 10/15/2022 at 1:13 AM, Poopskadoop said:

It's interesting; I quickly compared some specifications on wikipedia between the La-5FN and La-7, and it seems like the La-5FN has slightly better performance in most categories.  Larger range, top speed, time to altitude, rate of climb, horsepower, better power-to-mass ratio.  I imagine these stats don't tell the whole story, so I'm curious why there is such a discrepancy.

Is that for the production La-5FN or some factory test aircraft though? Russia had frequent quality control problems. Serial production aircraft were often poorer performing than factory prototypes. Untreated wooden construction meant aircraft would deteriorate quickly in squadron use. It’s part of the reason front line pilots liked the P39 so much.

Some discussion here.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/la-5-la-5f-la-5fn-la-7-la-7b-20.53351/

• 4 months later...

I'm probably buying this first day. I love Soviet aircraft. There WWII birds are so interesting. Hopefully one day you will do an IL-2 from the late war. But there is another project you have hinted that I wish you would complete first. Honestly I'll buy anything you make, especially if it's Soviet. I miss IL-2. But it's hard to go back to after DCS. This is a big step to bringing that experience into the most realistic sim available. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The LA7 is an interesting a/c but I understand it did not participate in the Patriotic War (2).  As a matter of fact, if it did what map would be appropriate? Maybe the Kola map. Possibly a future map that contains eastern Germany.  What do you think?  

29 minutes ago, greiffer said:

The LA7 is an interesting a/c but I understand it did not participate in the Patriotic War (2). 

I'm not an expert on the subject, but according to Wikipedia:

"The 63rd Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment (GIAP) began combat trials of the La-7 in mid-September 1944 in support of the 1st Baltic Front

The 156th Fighter Aviation Regiment of the 4th Air Army was the next unit to receive the La-7 in October 1944.

By 1 January 1945 there were 398 La-7s in front-line service, by 9 May 1945 this had increased to 967 aircraft"

29 minutes ago, greiffer said:

As a matter of fact, if it did what map would be appropriate? Maybe the Kola map. Possibly a future map that contains eastern Germany.  What do you think?  

I think that given the maps available on DCS, very few aircrafts would be able to be flown on full historic fidelity ... the Viggen for example could not be used.

Me personally, have no problem using my imagination and devise fictional detachment and foreign operations so that I can fly any aircraft I want on whatever Map I want.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

La-11 would have fit nicely in a Korea scenario with F86, MiG15, P51 and upcoming F4U.

The La-7 is a bit.... in the same spot as I-16. Im sure it will be very well modeled, but a bit out of place given the current AI assets and other WWII birds.
Im pretty much buying anything Redair, so I guess I just have to deal with that 🙂 

В 03.05.2023 в 02:30, greiffer сказал:

The LA7 is an interesting a/c but I understand it did not participate in the Patriotic War (2).  As a matter of fact, if it did what map would be appropriate? Maybe the Kola map. Possibly a future map that contains eastern Germany.  What do you think?  

And then what, in your opinion, did Ivan Kozhedub fight on from 1944 to 1945? La-7 received its baptism of fire on June 24, 1944 near Baranovichi. In a dogfight, the pilots of the 176th Guards IAP shot down two German Fw-190s without suffering losses on their part. A total of 5,753 La-7 aircraft were produced before the end of the war

• Like 5

I just wanted to drop by and say I'm waiting to give you my mony. I'm actually really excited for this one. I used to love playing IL2 and this was always an interesting aircraft. The I-16 was never my cup of tea, not in IL2 or yours, I just don't like it enough to get used to it. But that is not the case for the La-7. I always loved to fly the IL2 version, and I expect I will fall in love with yours. I cannot wait to feed on some BF-109K4s. 

Sorry, my error. it just seems odd to have a module that doesn't fit any map or maybe the Caucuses map may apply. It's an orphan like the other Soviet a/c (I16).  Fiction is ok but an appropriate module e.g., Hawker Typhoon a significant a/c in Normandy would be super and historically correct. 

Edited by greiffer

16 minutes ago, greiffer said:

it just seems wrong to have a module that doesn't fit any map

My belief is that it depends on what aspect of DCS you enjoy .. seems to me that you want to re-create historic events, and yes, for that a fitting map is a must … but if you want to experience flying on diverse aircrafts, learn their nuances, then the map becomes not so critical as you are then using DCS as if it were a flight simulator rather than a history simulator.

16 minutes ago, greiffer said:

Fiction is ok but an appropriate module e.g., Hawker Typhoon a significant a/c in Normandy would be great.

Maybe the developer wasn’t interested on a British aircraft, or maybe he didn’t had enough documentation to accurately simulate it … on my case I would enjoy either of them, La-7 or Typhoon. 

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 часов назад, greiffer сказал:

Sorry, my error. it just seems odd to have a module that doesn't fit any map or maybe the Caucuses map may apply. It's an orphan like the other Soviet a/c (I16). Fiction is ok but an appropriate module e.g., Hawker Typhoon a significant a/c in Normandy would be super and historically correct.

Meme.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greiffer said:

Sorry, my error. it just seems odd to have a module that doesn't fit any map or maybe the Caucuses map may apply. It's an orphan like the other Soviet a/c (I16).  Fiction is ok but an appropriate module e.g., Hawker Typhoon a significant a/c in Normandy would be super and historically correct. 

Octopus-G has only a module team and actualy dont make a map team, Not bad if Octopus-G or other 3rd party build WW2 East Front maps.

Honestly a map would be nice. But maps.and modules are not linked in DCS. The P-51D, and F-190D certainly didn't have a map for years. Hell the F-14 dosen't have a map. Name one historical operation that the F-14 actually took part in that happend over any map we have. Often the module builds the interest, then a map follows. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

Honestly a map would be nice. But maps.and modules are not linked in DCS. The P-51D, and F-190D certainly didn't have a map for years. Hell the F-14 dosen't have a map. Name one historical operation that the F-14 actually took part in that happend over any map we have. Often the module builds the interest, then a map follows. 

P-51D and F-190 has actually Normandy and the Channel WW2, and more to coming by ED (Marianas WW2) and 3rd parties. Build maps require teams using diferent SDK outside used to build modules. Required learn the TDK Terrain Develop Kit, by now, only ED (Channel / Marianas WW2) and some 3rd parties (Normandy WW2/2.0 by Ugra) has move to learn and work into them, as wait Check Six Simulaitons, Orbx, OnReTech and RAZBAM, move to WW2 someday.

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

P-51D and F-190 has actually Normandy and the Channel WW2, and more to coming by ED (Marianas WW2) and 3rd parties. Build maps require teams using diferent SDK outside used to build modules. Required learn the TDK Terrain Develop Kit, by now, only ED (Channel / Marianas WW2) and some 3rd parties (Normandy WW2/2.0 by Ugra) has move to learn and work into them, as wait Check Six Simulaitons, Orbx, OnReTech and RAZBAM, move to WW2 

I promise you when theP-51D and later the FW-190D released there was no map. It wasn't even going to go anywhere. The maps, WWII assets, and other WWII modules came around because of the interest in the P-51D and WWII in DCS.

2 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

I promise you when theP-51D and later the FW-190D released there was no map. It wasn't even going to go anywhere. The maps, WWII assets, and other WWII modules came around because of the interest in the P-51D and WWII in DCS.

om 2012-13 ofcouse, when none was build a map, but actually the number of WW2 maps continue growind.

On 5/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, FlankerKiller said:

Hell the F-14 dosen't have a map. Name one historical operation that the F-14 actually took part in that happend over any map we have. 

Red Flag. 🙂 We don't have USN facilities in NTTR map, but they very much trained around the place, then as well as now. Marianas' general vicinity also gets plenty of activity. When we get the IRIAF Tomcat, you'll also be able to add anything the Iranians did with them around PG, even in 2010s when that map is set.

The bigger problem is the time period, strictly speaking most of our maps are set well after Tomcat's heyday. I'd really like to see a proper Gulf War era Iraq map, but nobody seems to be doing that. Sadly, any pre-Google Maps era terrains (so before mid-2000s) are really hard to make due to general lack of photos of most areas of the world.

Ultimately, to make the most out of La-7 in proper context, we would need a Berlin map. Or, if you wanted something really unique, Manchuria. It's a bit of a forgotten part of late WWII, but the La-7 flew there, and it fought late war Japanese designs, a rather uncommon matchup. It's also be right next to Korea (and indeed, there was fighting in Korea at the time, too). In fact, if we ever get a Korea map with a big enough piece of Russia and China to the north (say, equivalent to the old Falcon 4.0 map), I suspect making at least some historical Soviets vs. Japan missions up there would be quite possible. AFAIK, the area did not change all that much between Korea and late WWII.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 12:36 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

om 2012-13 ofcouse, when none was build a map, but actually the number of WW2 maps continue growind.

Exactly, my point is the modules came first, then the map. If there is a demand for the late war eastern front a map will eventually happen. But having a map has nothing to do with the validity of a module in DCS. OctopusG does not make maps. And that's fine. I would rather them make awesome Soviet aircraft. But a map will eventually come. What the LA-7 dose have is opponents. It's a unique historical aircraft that is going to fit in well with the German aircraft already in game. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I recently purchased the I16 and although the plane itself is an underdog, the developers have done a great job with that module, I'm really looking forward to the delivery of the La-7

• Like 5