What Does it Take to Shoot Down an A8?

Rex

Single-play offline missions. Ammo unlimited for practice. I am in a P-51 Mustang, intent on ridding the world of Nazi-ism once and for all.

Battle #1:  I plug the A8 19 times, no smoke, no leaks, no nothing.  As if I didn't hit him at all.  I get capped with 8 bullets, wing falls off, can't bail before meeting the Channel, mom gets a yellow telegram.

Battle #2: I hit the FWA8 53 times! Plane does start trailing smoke after roughly hit #30, and the canopy looks like swiss cheese, but the kraut flies on, doing his thing and shaking his ding-a-ling.  Me?  Well, when I'm still on Superman's six, trying to deliver the coup de grace, an allied AI smacks into me from behind, and we both plunge to the Channel below.  This time I bail, but  the results screens tells me to go to hell because I committed "fratricide" (is it still fratricide if you're also the victim?) for getting getting clipped by my teammate.  Not saying it wasn't my fault to some degree, but I was locked onto this bandit, close behind, for 5+ minutes.  Not sure what the "right of way" rules are.

So, after sinking 72 total bullets into A8s last night, I walked away with zero kills.

How did the allies ever score victories?  Did they wait until the FWs landed and drop grenades on them or something?

I saved the trackfile for the battle, but it's bad.  It shows no hits, only me missing for the first 3 minutes, before flying straight nose-down into the English Channel while spraying bullets into the water.   I do have the debrief, though, which I used to count the hits.

I played in VR with a really small, low-res window on the monitor, so the screenshot is really crappy and distorted, but this is the sausage-eater who took 53 lead suppositories only to flip me off and fly away.

53 Hits.png

Edited by Rex
  • Like 2

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Thanks guys, I'll give these suggestions a try.  I appreciate it.

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

In my case it wasn't even 0.5s burst.

I did at least 15 fights and Anton can be downed with 1s burst on average, get your aim better.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

That video isnt even from DCS. lmao

LOL.  That video is from another sim which in my opinion has more realistic modeling of the p51's guns.  I have both it and DCS.  I have said before on this forum that the DCS P51's  50 cals are too weak as compared to the way they were in real life as evidenced by gun camera footage.  But Im certainly no expert and others have agreed and disagreed.  

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb MADLOU1:

LOL.  That video is from another sim which in my opinion has more realistic modeling of the p51's guns.  I have both it and DCS.  I have said before on this forum that the DCS P51's  50 cals are too weak as compared to the way they were in real life as evidenced by gun camera footage.  But Im certainly no expert and others have agreed and disagreed.  

Its always the same.....

Gun cam footage that show explosions all the time? You dont think thats only handpicked cause it looks impressive? Theres plenty of footage that does not show secondary explosions... also tearin wings etc... it only looks like this because its the most common footage found on the web...

Plus it was stated by ed that secondary explosion sources eg gun belts etc arent modelled yet.

And yes.. a single 1 to 2 second burst can bring down an anton. Easily. You just have to hit the right spot....

• Like 1

In either case, ammo belt composition with more API rounds is coming in the near future (hopefully), according to NineLine's post here...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/275290-incorrect-belt-composition-for-p51-and-p47/?do=findComment&comment=5089655

... so that should help.

That being said, as noted above, it's also more of a problem with AI, it's simplified routines and flight model which allows it to stay in the air with a crippled plane.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

11 hours ago, Art-J said:

In either case, ammo belt composition with more API rounds is coming in the near future (hopefully), according to NineLine's post here...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/275290-incorrect-belt-composition-for-p51-and-p47/?do=findComment&comment=5089655

... so that should help.

That being said, as noted above, it's also more of a problem with AI, it's simplified routines and flight model which allows it to stay in the air with a crippled plane.

Sounds good!

On 11/22/2022 at 6:20 AM, MADLOU1 said:

Sounds good!

Additionally we will see some damage model changes to the pilot protective armor in the next update or two.  This will result in much easier PKs (as in, they're actually possible in some cases now).  A8 included.  You'll be able to pen the A8's armor with .303s, if shot from point-blank, whereas that was impossible to do now and earlier.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, grafspee said:

In my case it wasn't even 0.5s burst.

I did at least 15 fights and Anton can be downed with 1s burst on average, get your aim better.

Don't you have rudder pedals ? Your turns are quite uncoordinated ... 

35 minutes ago, River said:

Don't you have rudder pedals ? Your turns are quite uncoordinated ... 

In game which i recorded it, uncoordinated or coordinated turns makes no difference. So i don't focus to keep turn coordinated.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 4 months later...