What has happened to the update ?

Mizzy
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

Ditto!

Today when browsing cockpit mods I learned that parts of it are actually broken as it is now (roughmet and what not). While for many months I thought the cockpit looks bad it turns out a lot of it comes down to how poorly it renders after the ~2.7 graphical updates.

So, I found my post from similar thread, dating January 19th, with links to Unofficial Roadmap. As of today, I checked and nothing really changed. Section states:

1. F-5E Updates (in progress) (2022+) (PFM/ASM)
    1. New PBR cockpit 
    2. New external Model 
    3. flight dynamics modelling
    4. improved wingtip missile aerodynamics
    5. enhanced modelling effects of payload-to-airframe
    6. interference on supersonic drag

Also, F-5E seems to be included in model preview for 2.7.8, dated November 19th, 2021.

That's really all I could gather, and I don't think there was much news about it since last year. Unless I managed to miss something, which is totally plausible.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:49 PM, Fairey Gannet said:

So, I found my post from similar thread, dating January 19th, with links to Unofficial Roadmap. As of today, I checked and nothing really changed. Section states:

1. F-5E Updates (in progress) (2022+) (PFM/ASM)
    1. New PBR cockpit 
    2. New external Model 
    3. flight dynamics modelling
    4. improved wingtip missile aerodynamics
    5. enhanced modelling effects of payload-to-airframe
    6. interference on supersonic drag

Also, F-5E seems to be included in model preview for 2.7.8, dated November 19th, 2021.

That's really all I could gather, and I don't think there was much news about it since last year. Unless I managed to miss something, which is totally plausible.

When I put a "updated 3D model" has been update on a patch, checking by modelviewer, but that is not a "official" update, only a "bugfix" or texture or minor detail. That is not a actual "complete new 3D model"... Meanwhile, the 2.8 coming with new 3D models on some weapons. the 2.8.1 has no check yet. (Check...)

On Fact.... the F-5E-1 EDM has not been update from 2021... and that was my old DCS last instalation... no update yet. 

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 2

Would like to know the status of the F-5 update as well.

I am using one of the cockpit livery mods from the user posts. It still works well in 2.8 and gives it a significantly more updated look with improved textures, toggles switches and knobs.

I too am frustrated by the slow pace of bug resolution in this module. The Tacan and ADF station pointer was broken by the November update, reported and acknowledged. We had no November hot-fix, and the December update and December hot-fix have not resolved the issue.

I am curious about the flight model, it feels like all control inputs are focused to produce movement around a fine point in the middle, under the aircraft. Much like a child's playground tetter-totter. There is no fluidity of motion between the airframe and airflow. Hard to put into words. Would really like to hear if this an accurate representation of how the aircraft "feels" in flight by anyone that has actually flown it in real life. 

Really enjoy flying this module and hope to see it given some bug fixing attention soon!

• ED Team
11 hours ago, thornx said:

Just so ED knows: We have 44 out of 90 members who have the F-5. it's not some old module that nobody uses. Some don't fly it because of the trim issues. A rework would be "highly appreciated and loved" 🙂

Thank you for your effort!

When we have info to share we will. All that has been said right now is some art updates but not many more details beyond that. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

6 hours ago, NineLine said:

When we have info to share we will. All that has been said right now is some art updates but not many more details beyond that. Thanks. 

Thanks NineLine, I know we've been asking this same question a lot in all the social channels and you can only share what you have, appreciate you being patient with us F-5 fans!! Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

i would really like to get this model, but reading all of this has me worried, so I am just going to wait...

• Like 3

System Specs:

Intel 8700K (Factory Clocks) / NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS ROG STRIX 1080TI

Corsair RGB 32GB @ 3600MHZ

Samsung 970EVO M.2 OS Drive / 2 x Samsung 960EVO SATA Game Drive (DCS and STEAM)

Phankteks Enthoo Evolv TG w/ something like, 9 case fans now...

Alienware 34" AW3418DW (with 120HZ and GSYNC)

Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster MFD

Saitek Rudder Pedals

Logitch G35 Mic

TrackIR5

Corsair keyboard/mouse

A10C,FA18,F14,Viggen <3,F16,Spitfire, NTTR, Persian Gulf,SuperCarrier

1 hour ago, station2station said:

i would really like to get this model, but reading all of this has me worried, so I am just going to wait...

The F-5 is a lot of fun, there aren't any real "broke" features...if you're an absolute Ace/professional sim-aviator, you might find a shortcoming or two (key word: "might") but if you're casual or other, it'll be good.

TL;DR....I recommend it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, station2station said:

If you aren’t going to do any serious PvP air to air combat, it is a decent module. Its deep flaws are really only evident in PvP. 

However, if money is at all an issue, you should wait for the F-4 Phantom. It is a third party developer and less likely to be abandoned and/or become a test bed for crackpot ideas. 

• Like 3

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

On 12/31/2022 at 2:02 PM, station2station said:

Don't get me wrong, the ED F-5 is a great module and well worth buying regardless of an update, so I wouldn't let anything here put you off this little gem. Go buy it, you won't regret it.

Mizzy

• Like 2

• Like 1

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

18 hours ago, LordOrion said:

Screenshot_2023-01-14-15-03-08-538-edit_com.discord.jpg

A lot of cryptic double-speak, imho. They said essentially the same thing a year or two ago, and now they're going to "share" their plans (but not their actions?) "later in the year."

We'll see. Hopefully we will.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VZ_342 said:

A lot of cryptic double-speak, imho. They said essentially the same thing a year or two ago, and now they're going to "share" their plans (but not their actions?) "later in the year."

We'll see. Hopefully we will.

ED never put nothing write on stone or make a "primise", only has plans.

To me the most important thing is for the most glaring bugs to be fixed without postponing them "for the big update." Cockpit reflections, afterburner lightup, RWR, radar (?), gunsight solution (A1 only?), wingtip payload mass... In that sense the recent TACAN "situation" might have been a blessing 😉 Same with blokes literally asking about "the status of bugs in F-5E" prior to purchasing it.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

From the today OB changelog:

DCS: F-5E Tiger II by Eagle Dynamics

• Fixed:TACAN / ADF directional arrow remains fixed and does not rotate.
  • Fixed: EGT reaches nearly 800c at start up.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.8.2.35632/

Well, still better than nothing 😝

• Like 2

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

Please bear with me, as I don't see much need on improvement of this module. Aside from code update so it works with latest DCS Rev. OK textures and more detail on 3d model. Maybe wingtip flex twisting . AG weapon delivery is consistent. Start at 4 to 5 angels above target altitude. Dive at 20 to 30 units at 400 kias. Release or fire at 1800' slant distance . Most of the time it's close enough, provided sight depression is set correctly. 

Module is light , rock solid stable, and is a joy to fly. To me F-5E in DCS is  best and brightest training module. If I am away from DCS for weeks or month , I refresh with F-5E. 

Kind of wish module would allow true all aspect AIM-9M carry, for merge engagements. Chilean F-5E appear to be able to carry 4 X AIM-9(?) , and Chile is in the S. Atlantic map. 

I am a proponent for module for module upgrade. Even paid.  A module that upgrades F-5E to perhaps 1999 vintage , as flown by Chileans, Brazilians, and Thais in that year. So some kind of MFD, INS, 4 AA Missile stations. NVG compatible pit.  Something along those lines. Kind of mimicking real life  airframe updates.

This module does scare me, virtually, if I fly into IMC weather , or landing under IMC. Yeah, it's kind of difficult in DCS:F-5E . No ILS needles. So it's tempting to cheat with TACAN,position markers on kneemap, and F10. Even if I study approach plate , it's difficult to put into practice, as , in IMC, my position is not known to me, unless I cheat with kneemap and F10. Otherwise, as long as I can see , even at night, out of the cockpit, terrain and lights, I am OK.

• Like 2

Would love to have an F-5 capable of using AIM-120s. Are the 120s gonna be very dangerous launched from an F5, probably not. But you  could take someone by surprise. I wonder why the F5 never had AIM-7s. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

5 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Radar guided missiles need a radar to guide them. 

AIM120 also need radar to guide them too. Unless you plan on only using them when you're within pitbull range or just mad doging.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.