What exactly can the WSO do that the pilot can't

PD919

Unfortunately, you still don't understand that these are two different things. EOT.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 hours ago, PD919 said:

Based off what was explained here, the RIO/WSO is not necessary for the Strike Eagle to operate.  Maybe you have to jump in the backseat for a second to start one of the systems or something, and then you can do everything from the cockpit.  F-14 is literally impossible to use without a RIO.  RIO aligns the INS.  RIO does all of the radar work in BVR, etc.  I'm assuming the Phantom needs the RIO like the F-14.  

Not even that. RAZBAM have confirmed that the handful of startup functions that have to be performed by the WSO will have pilot seat keybinds.

Full functionality will be available from the pilot seat. This is a massive difference between the F15E and other two seat modules which YoYo keeps avoiding.

• Like 1

@YoYo the aircraft is fully flyable from

the front seat. There is no reason to jump into the back seat except for a few startup things. The reason there is a WSO there in real life is helping manage the extra workload of high intensity tasks like analysing a radar patch map and picking a ground target while the pilot in the front is running the AA radar and protecting the aircraft from air threats. A basic AI WSO won’t be able to do that. 

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

3 minutes ago, Deano87 said:

...like analysing a radar patch map and picking a ground target while the pilot in the front is running the AA radar...

Is it possible to use AG radar in a seat and AA radar in the other position? I ask because sound strange to me...

13 minutes ago, Topo said:

Is it possible to use AG radar in a seat and AA radar in the other position? I ask because sound strange to me...

You’re right. The radar can only function in one mode at a time (unlike modern AESA magic) but as far as I understand it, it is possible to take a high res patch map of an AG target, freeze the patch map on the screen then hand the radar to the other crewman. Then while the radar itself is back in AA mode, the WSO can be looking at the frozen patch map display and designate a ground target on it, then slave to the TPOD to it, and the pilot can be looking at the AA radar and checking for air threats. The radar only needs to be scanning in AG mode while creating the patch, and then once it’s frozen it can go back to AA mode. At least this is what I’ve gathered from lots of F-15E interviews and picking the brains of F-15E aircrew.

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

1 minute ago, Deano87 said:

You’re right. The radar can only function in one mode at a time (unlike modern AESA magic) but as far as I understand it, it is possible to take a high res patch map of an AG target, freeze the patch map on the screen then hand the radar to the other crewman. Then while the radar itself is back in AA mode, the WSO can be looking at the frozen patch map display and designate a ground target on it, then slave to the TPOD to it, and the pilot can be looking at the AA radar and checking for air threats. The radar only needs to be scanning in AG mode while creating the patch, and then once it’s frozen it can go back to AA mode. At least this is what I’ve gathered from lots of F-15E interviews and picking the brains of F-15E aircrew.

Ok thanks, that's as I assumed.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:40 PM, YoYo said:

This is not an excuse because RIO has been in every EA and Im sure it will be in HB F-4E from the beginning of EA as well.

I do understand your disappointment but as far as i remember, there haven´t been any plans for a WSO originally. RAZBAM later added this as a planned feature iirc, so i think we can all be happy that we are getting a WSO for the Strike Eagle at all. Even if it comes later in EA. And until the WSO is implemented, just enjoy that stunning aircraft with a friend as WSO. Honestly, i think that is what most people looking forward to: Finally a 4th gen. strike fighter with multicrew capabilities.

• Like 3

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

On 1/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, VpR81 said:

Honestly, i think that is what most people looking forward to: Finally a 4th gen. strike fighter with multicrew capabilities.

Given the fact that most people fly solo (even if they fly on MP servers), I think most are simply looking forward for an awesome strike fighter. The fact that it can also multicrew is just the icing on the cake for those select few of us who actually do MP and MC. 

I'm truly looking forward for this bird 🙂

• Like 5

As far as comms and functions of the WSO, I do NOT want an emersion breaker like the process used in DCS's F-14 model to communicate with the WSO. That is why I don't fly the DCS F-14.

Quite happy with flying solely from the front seat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Catseye said:

As far as comms and functions of the WSO, I do NOT want an emersion breaker like the process used in DCS's F-14 model to communicate with the WSO. That is why I don't fly the DCS F-14.

You're not alone in that opinion about the F-14. I pre-purchased the Tomcat and although Heatblur did a mind-blowingly good job on this iconic jet, the micromanagement of Jester AI is one of the main reasons that module never truly got me hooked. I don't regret buying it, but it did make me more alert that new multicrew modules might not be for me.

I'm confident that Razbam will come up with a smart WSO AI communication interface. As far as we even need one

• Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 1/6/2023 at 7:49 PM, Deano87 said:

As I understand it, There are a few switches and systems that need to be powered up in the back (there will likely be keybindings or some solution for turning those on from the front when flying solo). But apart from the obvious disadvantage of being one brain and 2 eyeballs down, you should be able to employ all systems/weapons from the front seat. 

There is nothing in the back that’s not in the front.  The pilot can operate all of the Strikes sensors themselves if they had to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

On 1/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, Nahen said:

😄

A bit off topic, but for anyone interested, this is over beautiful Northumberland.  The reservoir is Fontburn https://goo.gl/maps/BsMCVFeA795UdkhV8, and Simonside Crags are in the background.  I know that area well, and I am often dodging F-15s out of Lakenheath.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

39 minutes ago, strikeeagle said:

There is nothing in the back that’s not in the front.  The pilot can operate all of the Strikes sensors themselves if they had to.

Once the jet is powered up, sure. But the TGP and EW panels are in the back to power the systems on, are they not? 

Proud owner of:

2 hours ago, Deano87 said:

Once the jet is powered up, sure. But the TGP and EW panels are in the back to power the systems on, are they not? 

This is correct. RB have already confirmed that there will be pilot seat keybinds for them so we won't need to swap seats when flying solo but IRL you'd need to get ground crew to turn them on or something.

Edited by Scott-S6

17 hours ago, Catseye said:

16 hours ago, sirrah said:

You're not alone in that opinion about the F-14. I pre-purchased the Tomcat and although Heatblur did a mind-blowingly good job on this iconic jet, the micromanagement of Jester AI is one of the main reasons that module never truly got me hooked. I don't regret buying it, but it did make me more alert that new multicrew modules might not be for me.

I'm confident that Razbam will come up with a smart WSO AI communication interface. As far as we even need one

I'm curious: How would you guys prefer to communicate with an AI WSO/RIO?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I'm curious: How would you guys prefer to communicate with an AI WSO/RIO?

Well, it's not so much the "Jester wheel" interface itself that I don't like (quite ok with that in fact), but it's the Jester micromanagement part.

I understand why Heatblur did what they did with their Jester menu, and I'm not sure how to do it differently, but all the menu's inside menus are too much for me to enjoy. It's like HB tried to make it possible to operate the entire RIO station through the Jester wheel. Personally, I'd rather wished that Jester functioned more autonomic (but again, I wouldn't know how to properly implement this without Jester doing stuff unexpectedly).

Anyway, please don't consider my opinion as a rant against Heatblur's Tomcat. They did an awesome job and I didn't regret purchasing. I just came to realize, that (although I like occasionally flying it) the interface with Jester AI is just too complicated for me to truly enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

22 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Well, it's not so much the "Jester wheel" interface itself that I don't like (quite ok with that in fact), but it's the Jester micromanagement part.

I understand why Heatblur did what they did with their Jester menu, and I'm not sure how to do it differently, but all the menu's inside menus are too much for me to enjoy. It's like HB tried to make it possible to operate the entire RIO station through the Jester wheel. Personally, I'd rather wished that Jester functioned more autonomic (but again, I wouldn't know how to properly implement this without Jester doing stuff unexpectedly).

That's the issue. In the end it's just an AI, in fact it's not even an AI in the strict sense of it (like ChatGP). It's a simple computer routine and making him behave autonomous like a human RIO is way beyond the ressources of DCS (3rd party) devs I'm afraid. A lot of the micromanagement functions were also added later on, as many players demanded more control over the RIO, so they can make him do what they want.

22 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Anyway, please don't consider my opinion as a rant against Heatblur's Tomcat. They did an awesome job and I didn't regret purchasing. I just came to realize, that (although I like occasionally flying it) the interface with Jester AI is just too complicated for me to truly enjoy it.

No worries, I was just curious about ideas how it could be done better. And btw, you don't have to use the radial menu as you can map most (all?) functions as keybinds. That can be very helpful for certain commands.

But yeah, in the end nothing beats a competent human RIO/WSO in the back. Same will be true for the F-15E!

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just now, strikeeagle said:

No they are not.  It’s all in the front.  

You sure? What about the TGP FLIR panel behind the left WSO controller?

Proud owner of:

A little bit off-topic, but in case someone doesn't know or haven't heard about: the 10 Percent True YouTube channel brings many interesting interviews, and the most prominent character in that is Starbaby, who was a F-15 WSO. He talks a lot about his time in the USAF, lots of anecdotes, but also shows some videos of attacks he participated in.

Anyway, he talks a lot about the Pilot and WSO responsibilities. Other guy who talked a little about it recently is Max Afterburner. He is some kind of Garand Thumb of the sky, but he gives a glimpse of the division of tasks.

But basically, the WSO is head down looking at the sensors, finding the target, creating a map for it, and once target designated, the WSO gives back the radar to the pilot, who nows sets it to air-to-air. The WSO now controls the pod, finds and refines the bombs impact point, and is heads down all the way till bomb impact. All the while the pilot is heads up, looking outside for any air to air or surface to air threats.

Is is a fine example of two heads working better than one. And Starbaby's stories are very compelling, explaining how bombs miss, how to make bombs not miss, how they attack and re-attack, how they function as a flight (2, 4, 8 elements) and how they avoid ground fire.

Enviado de meu SM-A127M usando o Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

On 1/23/2023 at 12:06 PM, sirrah said:

They just plan to redesign Jester logic into more autonomic being.

It depends on the missions you fly but I never felt I need to micromange him too much.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria