DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Sorted, it is one of the mods in the saved games mod directory. Can figure out which one(s) go wrong.

OpenXR Toolkit seems to have no problem.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

45 minutes ago, RealDCSpilot said:

@VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants @NatoAviator Try to get rid of any additional tweak first. Basically start with vanilla DCS and your VR runtime only. SteamVR with VD (VR Flight Guy) or plain WMR (NatoAviator). This will continue in the next months, because a lot will change. Most of the known tweaks will get old and deprecated.

Thank you!

Got it working.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to use my mouse cursor in WMR/OpenXR...

It works fine in 2D, however when I put on the HMD, I lose mouse cursor control...

For anyone using Oculus Rift S, this worked for me. I set Steam VR as my default OpenXR runtime and then started DCS in Steam VR mode. 

Edited by ddc196

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

1 hour ago, NatoAviator said:

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to use my mouse cursor in WMR/OpenXR...

It works fine in 2D, however when I put on the HMD, I lose mouse cursor control...

in the WMR settings, under startup and desktop, change input switches, to be "Manually switch using Windows logo key......."

7 hours ago, ColinM9991 said:

Those using OpenComposite won't notice much of a difference, since we've been use to the lack of in-game stuttering for some time, but it does mean that any DCS update won't prevent players from using OpenXR as it is now baked in.

That is not correct .

I have been playing DCS in VR ( G2 headset) by using OpenComposite for a very long time and the DCS had been running smoothly. However last night I installed the latest patch and DCS just had " million" crash episodes and every time I had to use Task Manager to close the program. I can not even to send out the crash report because the mouse froze.  I wonder whether I should remove the Beta version and re-install the stable version for a period .

• Like 1

Just now, dock999 said:

That is not correct .

I have been playing DCS in VR ( G2 headset) by using OpenComposite for a very long time and the DCS had been running smoothly. However last night I installed the latest patch and DCS just had " million" crash episodes and every time I had to use Task Manager to close the program. I can not even to send out the crash report because the mouse froze.  I wonder whether I should remove the Beta version and re-install the stable version for a period .

I'll apologize as I spoke too soon - I have a habit of doing that, I'm sure some have noticed.

There are some issues depending on the headset. Mbucchia, a Microsoft developer who worked/works on OpenXR, appears to be offering his assistance on the matter.

As a workaround, in themeantime, you should still be able to use OpenComposite with --force_steamVR

2 hours ago, gortex said:

It's because we can't use FSR or CAS sharpening without the openXR toolkit.  This OB patch is a downgrade for VR users who were using those tools.

I don’t know what are you talking but for those options and much more you can use OpenXR Toolkit, it has no problem working with last update

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

7 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

I'll apologize as I spoke too soon - I have a habit of doing that, I'm sure some have noticed.

There are some issues depending on the headset. Mbucchia, a Microsoft developer who worked/works on OpenXR, appears to be offering his assistance on the matter.

As a workaround, in themeantime, you should still be able to use OpenComposite with --force_steamVR

Same here....same issues and than i realized it is unplayable because DCS OpenXR doesnt accept Motion Reprojection. Before i had everything smooth anf flawless 70-90fps with G2 and no i cant play - too much stutters and head movement micro stutters unplayable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

DCS now supports OpenXR natively 

Depending on which headset you have select the openXR runtime and DCS will work without any third party apps. 

Currently we are working on a crash if motion reprojection is being forced on. If you have reprojection on auto or off you will not see the crash. 

Some are angee over this as their troubleshooting methods have included complete re-installs in the past 24 hours...I for one would love to see the bar graph data on downloads over a period of time for the past 2 days that would include the sharp spike in downloads due to re-installs as part of the troubleshooting method. I'm glad that ED remembered to make this post...

• Like 1

I cant even get past the opening menu with my G2 in VR. Freezes after 5-15 seconds. I can still hear my menu music, but totally frozen. 

I have force motion reprojection, or else DCS is way too stuttery with my 3090. Also using OpenXR composite. Tried going back to SteamVR but same crash. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Currently we are working on a crash if motion reprojection is being forced on. 

Please fix it soon. We need a HOTFIX pretty please.

What is strange with mod (OpenComposite) I didnt noticed any CTD like now, with OpenXR motion reprojection always on. So tests failed.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Is there a way to manually change the motion repro tool kit setting outside the game to restore it?

Yes, open the toolkit, go into safe mode, it resets everything, fire up the game and reset.

Edited by Nodak

2 minutes ago, Nodak said:

Is there a way to manually change the motion repro tool kit setting outside the game to restore it?

Maybe it is possible with command line https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/cli.html 

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

11 minutes ago, corb said:

I cant even get past the opening menu with my G2 in VR. Freezes after 5-15 seconds. I can still hear my menu music, but totally frozen. 

I have force motion reprojection, or else DCS is way too stuttery with my 3090. Also using OpenXR composite. Tried going back to SteamVR but same crash. 

you can start openXR from toolkit in Safe mode and when you start dcs CTRL+F1+F2+F3 will resest  everything. But on G2 without Motion Reprojection it is unplayable

9 minutes ago, lvnona69 said:

But on G2 without Motion Reprojection it is unplayable

I seem to have no problem with my G2 without reprojection. Don't know what is happening.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/313901-my-4090-vr-performance-optimization/?do=findComment&comment=5139790

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

5 minutes ago, Ready said:

I seem to have no problem with my G2 without reprojection. Don't know what is happening.

For some of us anything less than 90fps without reprojection produces unacceptable stuttering. It seems to be one of those "how you are wired" kind of things.

Also...

Some can handle 60Hz
Some find it smooth without reprojection at 55fps
Some hate reprojection

🙂

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Just to say, mine Oculus Rift S is working spot on with OpenXR.  Thanks.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Hi,

I have tried to start the Speed and Angels campaign after I have installed the update as well but I can't get too far with it. I have Pimax 5k and I tried to run with PimaxXR but it can't load the first real mission. It stucks at "World preload 1/60". I tried the Fear the Bones campaign but I have the same problem. When I try an instant action with the F-14 it works fine, I can fly the mission. It seams it crashes when DCS tries to load something more complex stuff. If I try to load with SteamVR it loads but it's a slideshow.

Anyone has similar probles? Solution maybe?:)

12 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Few things that may be useful....

Can I turn off Turbo mode manually in Your Toolkit? I checked this option but it crashes DCS 1 sec after loading (perhaps Motion rep. issue in current DCS and OpenXR). The problem is that now I cant turn it off because turbo option freezes DCS right away after loading. Thank You!

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Can I turn off Turbo mode manually in Your Toolkit? I checked this option but it crashes DCS 1 sec after loading (perhaps Motion rep. issue in current DCS and OpenXR). The problem is that now I cant turn it off because turbo option freezes DCS right away after loading. Thank You!

Follow the "Start in safe mode" bit, it is meant specifically for these situations where a setting prevents start up.

Troubleshooting | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

• Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

10 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Follow the "Start in safe mode" bit, it is meant specifically for these situations where a setting prevents start up.

Troubleshooting | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

Thank You, Safe mode solved my foul ; D !!!

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Great stuff! Thanks mbucchia for the guide!...and the Support in here!  Your work is making VR better for us all!

Edited by Greekbull
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Having played around with it a little bit, this change has its pros and cons for me

I am no longer getting the framerates I used to get. They are lower now that I cannot use NIS and FSR (enabling them crashes my game upon startup)
At the same time my frames seem to be much more stable, rarely dropping below 45 (and rarely getting above 55, even in single player) (for reference, I had it tuned in to get a nice 60 FPS on the F-16 Caucasus cold and dark mission, my go to testing mission. Now I get around 50-55 there)
I did some tests, one of which was flying the AH-64D around on a busy multiplayer server on Syria. On this particular server, I'd often crash before getting to spawn in, now I was able to fly around without my frames dropping below 40.

Loading in of textures does seem a lot slower. It can take up to 20 seconds at times, where it used to take no more than 10 seconds usually.

I have no clue how native OpenXR support impacted all this, it might all be caused by something else entirely. I did not do proper experiments, I just played around a bit and this is what I thought.

For reference:
VR: HP Reverb G2
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: RTX 3080Ti
RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Has both windows and DCS)

Edited by Hunting_Fox