DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

hello

that topic sounds good.

from what i understand, as i always play with openxr and my g2. i just follow the steps from mbucchia. does it also mean that i can now delete my folder with opencomposite that i used to often update? no need to delete other files prevously installed.....?

i still keep my installation of openxrtoolkit 1.2.3? and update it from time to time?

thanks for answers.

And then, when I try to see what mods I can use, the game becomes very unstable. But some how it is consistent -- if a mod crashes before seeing the main menu, disabling it brings you at least to the main menu. So after finding a "stable" combination, the mission may not even load!

I am removing any mod, doing clean up and repair first. If it does not work, I am going to give it a reinstall. If it still not working, I am going back to OpenComposite.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, mbucchia said:

Follow the "Start in safe mode" bit, it is meant specifically for these situations where a setting prevents start up.

Troubleshooting | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

I find if I put the toolkit ( version 1.1.0) in a safe mode I can load  DCS without having further crash .  The program just lost those benefits the toolkit provides to us . I am still on OpenComposite .

OXRTK, disable, enable or safe, makes no difference, now with the save game folder dcs.openbeta renamed and a brand new one created, the game cannot even load to main menu. Reinstallation of the whole DCS is in progress. If this still don't work, again, I either go with Oculus Runtime or back to OpenComposite. I feel very stupid wasting the whole evening trying to figure out what native OpenXR has gone wrong while 2D and OpenComposite work just fine.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I'm on the Reverb G2 and I was using opencomposite and openxr toolkit prior to this update. The game looked fantastic and was very smooth.

With this update, the game is very blurry and nothing I change in my openxr settings seems to do anything. The performance is about the same as before, in terms of raw fps but everything is so blurry that the game became unplayable for me.

If anyone is in the same situation as me, tips are appreciated. I already tried repairing DCS, deleting shaders and what have you.

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra

CPU: Ryzen 3700X 

RAM: 32GB CL16 3600Mhz 

SSD: SN550 1TB

GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio

21 minutes ago, hallaghan said:

I'm on the Reverb G2 and I was using opencomposite and openxr toolkit prior to this update. The game looked fantastic and was very smooth.

With this update, the game is very blurry and nothing I change in my openxr settings seems to do anything. The performance is about the same as before, in terms of raw fps but everything is so blurry that the game became unplayable for me.

If anyone is in the same situation as me, tips are appreciated. I already tried repairing DCS, deleting shaders and what have you.

Same situation here, I was SUPER HAPPY before this release, and I was NOT using motion reprojection.

Really upset with this situation after this OB release (and I believe most DCS users feel the same...). Just by counting the amount of comments/posts on the topic in the last 24h...

I am afraid it is just about waiting for ED to release a new (fixed) release. Hopefully soon.

Again, having a playable VR experience for most (not only for 4090 owners) and DLSS soon (not before end of 2023) may be the TOP priority for ED. Not only for us as players/customers, but also for the DCS and ED. I believe these are FAR more important and urgent tasks than any new radar feature or things like that.... 

Edited by KCOOL
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KCOOL said:

Same situation here, I was SUPER HAPPY before this release, and I was NOT using motion reprojection.

Really upset with this situation after this OB release (and I believe most DCS users feel the same...). Just by counting the amount of comments/posts on the topic in the last 24h...

I am afraid it is just about waiting for ED to release a new (fixed) release. Hopefully soon.

Again, having a playable VR experience for most (not only for 4090 owners) and DLSS soon (not before end of 2023) may be the TOP priority for ED. Not only for us as players/customers, but also for the DCS and ED. I believe these are FAR more important and urgent tasks than any new radar feature or things like that.... 

I’m happy with the last update. If i send feedback to ED it doesn’t mean i’m not happy with the update. Mostly people who doesn’t have any problems don’t post that much here. There is few quirks but they are solvable and ED seems to be on top of it. 

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

1 hour ago, hallaghan said:

Same boat here. 

You might try messing with the PD settings. For me, PD of 0.5 made it somewhat smooth but low quality. Nothing else worked.

For now, giving up on playing/tuning until there's a fix to get reprojection back.
Would be great if there was an option to use OpenComposite instead of ED's method?

ASUS Z390 / Intel i7-9700K / 32 GB DDR4 / 1080Ti / HP Reverb 2 / Thrustmaster WH&TPR

Heath and Allen Zedi8 / TrackIR / Momo USB monitor / Akai MPD218

6 hours ago, SneakyBastd said:

I used vrPerfKit but it stopped working with this update. The force_steam_VR switch fixed it again, so all good. But I have VivePro2 which needs to use steamVR, so not sure why the switch is needed?

The name of this parameter is slightly misleading, its not that it forces SteamVr, but it forces the game to use SteamVr interface (OpenVR) instead of the new OpenXR

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

FOR PIMAX USERS ONLY!!

After fiddling around for hours I´ve found the problem. At least for Pimax 8kx (guess all Pimax):

Download the latest PimaxXR software and it will run again. Link below:

https://github.com/mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR/releases/download/0.3.0/PimaxXR-0.3.0.msi

I´m having also a little performance boost after this update...

Edited by das Rindvieh
  • Like 1

Seems stable now, "empty" DCS installation with Caucasus map and 2 free planes only. Manage to keep the save game dcs.openbeta before update sans mods.

Interesting line from the dcs.log though:

2023-01-27 08:47:24.025 INFO    VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR : SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus

BTW, I am running Pico4 here.

Hi,

Using Pico 4 and Virtual Desktop, I have always used the Oculus runtime by starting VD with DCS.exe as a parameter. This avoided the flickering in SteamVR and also gave me a few more fps.
After the new OB I got entered SteamVR regardless and was situated 2 meters above my aircraft. I try to push the recenter/realign, but could not get it to work.
I solved this by deleting SteamVR and now everything works fine with 75-90 fps in Nevada for example.
I read early in the thread something like Pico had to use the SteamVR so I don't understand this. I have never owned or installed any Oculus HW or SW. I just have Pico, VD and DCS.
A bit confused here... Also I would like to have SteamVR working to be able to compare what's best for me.

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

About: same Pico4 users. I suggest you start by this:

Read the first post and avoid all the arguments down there.

I used to go with OpenComposite route and now it is a big mess for me to go "native".  Let's sort this out together.

One of the merits of going OpenXR is having nice things liek XRNectSafer which improves your SA some how, which is enjoyed by IR guys and then it is "unrealistic" when VR guys can enjoy it too. 😛

G2, AMD 6950xt, blinking in right eye, and eventually green screen of death during game play. First time this has happened and all after updating to latest beta. I used open composite before, did not use open xr toolkit as the performance without was excellent.

@HillmanVD emulates the presence of Oculus's API. That's why it worked this way for you. But i guess VD can't be set to manage OpenXR at the moment, like all the "real" VR runtimes do. For me SteamVR worked right from the start, i even didn't notice that DCS is running on OpenXR now. The only thing i found suspicious was the new position above the jet in the main menu. And my recenter HMD button worked as always.

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I dunno why but if OpenXR is used, it was the same back then when I was using OpenComposite to talk to OpenXR.

I'm pleased to see OpenXR being supported natively, I suspect it means we'll see better VR support as time goes on. I like using Motion Reprojection so shame to lose that in the short term but grateful overall to see progress on the VR front even if it comes with temporary teething issues.  

• Like 2

Works for me, for now, both via OpenComposite and native OpenXR after the latest update. I am rebuilding my DCW World right now so it may change down the line. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I had DCS working fine last night with Pimaxr set to OpenXR, including improved FPS. 

However, this morning I have had so many DCS crashes. I have reinstalled SteamVR and selected SteamVR PimaxXR. All the problems have gone away albeit with a performance penalty. 

I assume there is a bug in the OpenXR side with DCS so will remain vigilant for the solution. 

Edited by Nuggetz
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

• ED Team

updated first post 

• OpenXR is removed from autosearch. DCS has a chain of VR vendors in priority oculus, OpenVR, Varjo, etc. OpenXR was in that chain in top priority, now it is removed from this chain and only available when you explicitly specify it in command line of DCS.

If you need to force openXR in DCS command parameter is --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

motion reprojection crash is fixed. 

thank you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2