DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

1 hour ago, dock999 said:

Hi Guys  I wonder if anyone has had a similar issue as I have.

After the recent update of DCS, I find the MT version of DCS  has run through Open XR in VR  whereas the ST version actually runs through open VR.

Is that normal? 

Both versions are activated with the open XR toolkit and I use a windows G2 headset. I do not need to use the command line anymore.

In my tests with WMR set to OpenXR default runtime:

"DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR

Runs using OpenVR

"DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR

Runs using OpenXR

The default is different for the MT version

Note that if you have the VR headset option ticked in DCS settings then running without --force_enable_VR will get the same results.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

8 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Note that if you have the VR headset option ticked in DCS settings then running without --force_enable_VR will get the same results.

I have just checked the sittings inside DCS and noticed I do tick the option of " Enable VR headset" . I run both of them with no command line and I have got different running time for some reason.

BTW,  for open VR and Open XR, which one serves you better? or they are pretty much the same?

Just now, dock999 said:

I have just checked the sittings inside DCS and noticed I do tick the option of " Enable VR headset" . I run both of them with no command line and I have got different running time for some reason.

BTW,  for open VR and Open XR, which one serves you better? or they are pretty much the same?

OpenVR currently doesn’t work with the MT version, it hangs on the menu which has been widely reported.

Personally I find with MT the OpenXR SteamVR runtime works better then the OpenXR WMR runtime, I get stutters with the former.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

5 minutes ago, jurinko said:

I run MT version on OpenVR with reprojection on. My settings are above. 

Looking at the post above you are running OpenXR using the SteamVR runtime - the same as me. That is why the OpenXR toolkit is available and The WMR Portal says you are not running the WMR runtime for OpenXR.

Like me it works smoother with motion reprojection using the SteamVR runtime. If you check your DCS log file I am sure it will say OpenXR is running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Looking at the post above you are running OpenXR using the SteamVR runtime - the same as me. That is why the OpenXR toolkit is available and The WMR Portal says you are not running the WMR runtime for OpenXR.

Like me it works smoother with motion reprojection using the SteamVR runtime. If you check your DCS log file I am sure it will say OpenXR is running.

Hi! Your message caught my attention: I can use OpenXR toolkit even if I’m using SteamVR Runtime? Thanks!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

10 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Yep you're right! So I am getting the best of both worlds. 

I'm running a Valve Index, and now that Steam OpenXR is a viable option, is there any benefits to be had trying out OpenXR Toolkit?

I'll admit I currently know near to nothing about OpenXR Toolkit and what it might do to improve the Index's performance. Any input and/opinions are much appreciated. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

1 hour ago, Hartsblade said:

I'm running a Valve Index, and now that Steam OpenXR is a viable option, is there any benefits to be had trying out OpenXR Toolkit?

I'll admit I currently know near to nothing about OpenXR Toolkit and what it might do to improve the Index's performance. Any input and/opinions are much appreciated. 

The Toolkit gives you more access to some post processing features that can improve one's experience. I would say as far as performance the main gain there is by switching to using the Open XR runtime, even if it is Steam's version. Everyone though can have difference experiences.

Suggest you have a good read about Open XR Toolkit here.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 minutes ago, Glide said:

OpenXR Toolkit 1.3.0 is out.

Changes in v1.3 (Mar 2023 / v1.3.0 -)

• Add chromatic aberration correction for Varjo Aero (reduces red color depth inconsistency, precludes usage of post-processing like sunglasses)
    • Contributed by Bernhard Berger, thanks!
  • Add foveated rendering support for Quest Pro
    • Warning: there are bugs in the Oculus software that prevent using the eye tracker on PC for some users. If you are experiencing issues, check your OpenXR Toolkit log file for the following error message:

xrCreateEyeTrackerFB() failed with XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE! This is an Oculus platform software bug, please file a report to Meta!

• Remove resolution override cap on Pico (was limited by SteamVR)
  • Make resolution override use the height instead of width as reference (allows to change FOV on Pimax)
  • Rename “Shaking reduction” to “Over-prediction reduction” and reverted behavior to version 1.1
  • Some bug fixes related to foveated rendering with Direct3D 12
  • Some bug fixes related to Turbo Mode
  • Add a command line option to alter the over-prediction reduction value
  • Fix an issue with foveated rendering that caused blocky clouds in iRacing
  • Fix an issue when using OpenComposite with Vive Cosmos
  • Fix an issue when running non-Direct3D applications (OpenXR Toolkit will not be enabled)
  • Add an automatic check for updates in the Companion app
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, dburne said:

The Toolkit gives you more access to some post processing features that can improve one's experience. I would say as far as performance the main gain there is by switching to using the Open XR runtime, even if it is Steam's version. Everyone though can have difference experiences.

Suggest you have a good read about Open XR Toolkit here.

Thanks Don.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

Hi all,

I would really like to get openXR going with my HP Reverb 2.  After following all the directions on this thread all I get is the DCS loading screen, then SteamVR kicks in leaving me with nothing.  DCS just sits there with no screen, or DCS actually loads with WMR but then Steam VR takes over and DCS quits.

I'm using the MT version of DCS (and I've double and triple checked that my shortcut goes to the MT version).

I've set Windows MR to be the OpenXR runtime.

I've tried each of the two force commands --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR singly, and together in my shortcut after the shortcut path, just like the instructions. Changing these is what causes the two possible failure modes described up top.

• With only the force OpenXR, or force both of them, I end up with SteamVR loading and DCS with no screen at all. 
  •  With only the force enable VR I get DCS loading and see it in VR briefly before SteamVR takes over and DCS quits.

I have OpenXR Explorer and OpenXR Toolkit on my system.  Explorer does report that WMR is the OpenXR runtime.

I am not using the steam version of DCS. I bought DCS directly from ED

Any ideas on other things I should look at?

thanks

Bryan

Edited by Bmyers

@Bmyers can you post the dcs.log from your force_OpenXR shortcut launch?

5 hours ago, Bmyers said:

... Any ideas on other things I should look at?...

1. The active OpenXR runtime must be WMR.
2. Check "Enable Virtual Reality Headset" in-game VR Settings.
3. You can start DCS with bin-mt/dcs.exe icon without any --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR comand line parameters.
4. Proffit...

@Baldrick33  Here is one from just now with just --force_OpenXR.  Thanks for spending your time on this!  I see a device unplug at the bottom. That is probably where SteamVR intercepts it.

@Botik85

• OpenXR set to WMR runtime -check
  • Enable VR in game -check (which is how I've been using it with SteamVR for several months)
  • Can start DCS without parameters.  -I can only do that if SteamVR has OpenXR runtime.  It will fail just like the other scenarios I tried in my original post if WMR has OpenXR runtime.

dcs.log

Edited by Bmyers

5 hours ago, Bmyers said:

@Baldrick33  Here is one from just now with just --force_OpenXR.  Thanks for spending your time on this!  I see a device unplug at the bottom. That is probably where SteamVR intercepts it.

@Botik85

• Enable VR in game -check (which is how I've been using it with SteamVR for several months)
  • Can start DCS without parameters.  -I can only do that if SteamVR has OpenXR runtime.  It will fail just like the other scenarios I tried in my original post if WMR has OpenXR runtime.

dcs.log 21.81 kB · 1 download

I have the G2 as well. I am running SteamVR Runtime and it’s working well for me. So I start SteamVR, then I run the MT version of DCS with the command line input. Might be worth a try!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

11 hours ago, Bmyers said:

@Botik85

dcs.log 21.81 kB · 4 downloads

HP Reverb G2 DCS VR MT-version OpenXR mode without SteamVR runtime:

• Thanks 1

It would be nice if MT Open Beta supported the Varjo Aero natively - at least in the sense of it producing two images by default. Granted there are some now discovering the ability to use eye tracking with dynamic foveated rendering when quad is enabled, but I think that should be an option rather than going to quad by default. Having to keep up with and use the wrapper from Mbucchia just to run standard Open XR with the Aero is a bit too much friction imho. I love that we have that wrapper as I use it with every launch but would be nice not to have to.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

team - is there any data on performance impacts if you still use opencomposite ? my system is running well now, and I'm worried that I'd F it up by removing composite and trying the native thing...

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

@Glide

@Botik85  

@Baldrick33

Hi all, thanks for your inputs.  

I'm pretty sure this is a SteamVR problem on my system. 

I uninstalled it and an app I didn't know I had called "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR".  Maybe I was accidentally using this instead of the usual WMR which was causing the SteamVR persistence?

Now DCS launches into VR with WMR running in the background.  Is this what I should expect with OpenXR?  Or am I still in a composite mode?  I did find I had to set force OpenXR for it to work.  DCS's performance seems to have gone up.. lots of studdering when there is a window open like in the MiG hangar, or in flight with the briefing open, but it's smoother while flying which is great.  I think I'm getting some more frames too.

After quitting DCS I reinstalled SteamVR.  It cannot detect the headset at all.  That's a bit of a bummer but fine for now since I'm not actively using any of it's SteamVR apps at the moment.

Edited by Bmyers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thanatos31 said:

team - is there any data on performance impacts if you still use opencomposite ?

For me there is a significant improvement, close to 1ms GPU frametime decrease.  This might be very different depending on hardware.  Unfortunately, PimaxXR is not working well in MT with the menus but ok once in the cockpit.  Test I ran using MT with native DCS OpenXR support brought me back to 2.7.18 performance at the same level of details and settings!

Edited by WipeUout
Typo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.