DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Apologies for being stupid, I have no idea what VR Runtime I am using, all I know is that when I start DCS the Oculus app starts, I go to the OcukusDebugTool, Force ASW Off then ON, and everything is honkey dorey, But when I do this in the Multi Threading version my framerate locks to 40 (Rift S) as it does in the non MT version, but looking at the scenery it's a mess.

I have looked through the various release notes to see if this is listed as a known issue but couldn't find anything, thankfully the non MT version still works magnificently, am I alone and do I need to look into these different runtimes or should I just wait for a fix?

Any help appreciated, I did search before asking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

shortcut.jpg

Halp - most recent update in last week or two broke native openXR without steamVR - now the game is forcing steamVR to start.  This is open beta I'm talking about.  Can't go even one update without VR being broken again.  I've had to stop and troubleshoot the last like 3 updates in a row.  FYI I am using a varjo aero and had the aero set to only use openxr and then I launch the DCS MT exe from shortcut with the --force_steam_VR in the shortcut.   Steam asks me for confirmation on the extension when I launch it - is this being accepted correctly?

Then it launches the game in 2D mode and not in VR like it used to pre-patch and it also opens SteamVR at this moment, which of course reports a HMD problem since openVR is disabled in the varjo.  Thoughts?

Edited by WeCantAllBeNavy

1 hour ago, WeCantAllBeNavy said:

shortcut.jpg

Halp - most recent update in last week or two broke native openXR without steamVR - now the game is forcing steamVR to start.  This is open beta I'm talking about.  Can't go even one update without VR being broken again.  I've had to stop and troubleshoot the last like 3 updates in a row.  FYI I am using a varjo aero and had the aero set to only use openxr and then I launch the DCS MT exe from shortcut with the --force_steam_VR in the shortcut.   Steam asks me for confirmation on the extension when I launch it - is this being accepted correctly?

Then it launches the game in 2D mode and not in VR like it used to pre-patch and it also opens SteamVR at this moment, which of course reports a HMD problem since openVR is disabled in the varjo.  Thoughts?

Try adding  --force_OpenXR

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, WeCantAllBeNavy said:

shortcut.jpg

Its not broke, it's as it was and should be. Use entry:

"..... :\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

for ST version to have OXR. You dont need SteamVR for this.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Try adding  --force_OpenXR

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

Its not broke, it's as it was and should be. Use entry:

"..... :\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

for ST version to have OXR. You dont need SteamVR for this.

Negative - neither of these did anything, either with MT shortcut or with steam command extension, still launches in 2D mode, still launches steamVR.   Also the enablde VR headset IS checked inside settings of game. 

24 minutes ago, WeCantAllBeNavy said:

Negative - neither of these did anything, either with MT shortcut or with steam command extension, still launches in 2D mode, still launches steamVR.   Also the enablde VR headset IS checked inside settings of game. 

Since you're Steam Version... maybe try those command line options here from the list of games in Library, launch options.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 130932.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

On 4/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, Sr. said:

Since you're Steam Version... maybe try those command line options here from the list of games in Library, launch options.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 130932.jpg

I am launching it from short cut for the Multi-threaded exe.  OpenXR and Varjo Aero do not work in native mode anymore.  It opens steamVR every single time and tries to force openVR mode, even with openvr turned off in the varjo.  It was only the last open beta patch that broke it....

To reiterate:

1.  I don't have any extra programs, just varjo base, steam, and DCS.

2.  DFR is on, vsync is off, motion prediction is off

All of you guys running the game in SteamVR mode are living with higher latency and lower frames - native OpenXR was BUTTER last patch and now I can't get it to work again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the black screen (aero) when forcing openxr, seems it only works if i disable the openxr toolkit.

This is my first full run through with dcs in general and i've never set openxr kit settings like turbo mode with dcs (with msfs yes).  Is the actual reason for the black screen motion prediction being set to on in the aero panel settings perhaps (need to try that later if so)?

7 minutes ago, theskyisthelimit99 said:

I'm getting the black screen (aero) when forcing openxr, seems it only works if i disable the openxr toolkit.

This is my first full run through with dcs in general and i've never set openxr kit settings like turbo mode with dcs (with msfs yes).  Is the actual reason for the black screen motion prediction being set to on in the aero panel settings perhaps (need to try that later if so)?

have you tried recentering the screen

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, theskyisthelimit99 said:

I have yes, in fact when its "black" in the headset, on the actual pc 2d screen i dont see anything, but the mouse can become trapped in the area where the screen should be.

Have you tried the single thread version?

Might be similar to an issue I had... I have since gone back to ST mode.

--Arthur C Clark

8 hours ago, theskyisthelimit99 said:

On Varjo, DCS forces the use of Quad Views rendering, which is incompatible with OpenXR Toolkit.

You need to use Release Initial release 0.0.1 · mbucchia/OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper (github.com) if you want to force disabling Quad Views and use OpenXR Toolkit. @BIGNEWY please please please can disabling Varjo quad views just be an option of the game already? It was before OpenXR (via command line). This should be a trivial change to make.

Alternatively, if you are looking for high-performance, you can ditch OpenXR Toolkit and use Home · mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated Wiki (github.com) instead to get eye-tracked foveated rendering. This is not compatible with OpenXR Toolkit, you have to choose between the two.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

• ED Team
5 hours ago, mbucchia said:

On Varjo, DCS forces the use of Quad Views rendering, which is incompatible with OpenXR Toolkit.

You need to use Release Initial release 0.0.1 · mbucchia/OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper (github.com) if you want to force disabling Quad Views and use OpenXR Toolkit. @BIGNEWY please please please can disabling Varjo quad views just be an option of the game already? It was before OpenXR (via command line). This should be a trivial change to make.

Alternatively, if you are looking for high-performance, you can ditch OpenXR Toolkit and use Home · mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated Wiki (github.com) instead to get eye-tracked foveated rendering. This is not compatible with OpenXR Toolkit, you have to choose between the two.

I will ask again, but can make no promises

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Thanks, this is really helpful in my situation..  I shall try later today, as nothing else before knowing this worked 🙂

Has been out for a while so I'm a bit lost with the latest updates

I'm trying to get the foveated OXR to run on OB version.

Question, do we not need to set bin-mt on the start thread anymore?

I cannot get it to work with that added. Only get a white screen and I can hear the music, and the varjo screen is black.

If I dont use it, then it works, but the fps is really low compared to what I had before. I have removed the wrapper, installed the fovated msi 0.1 and added the 0.2.

I'm not running OX toolkit. I see that I have quad view so that should be ok also.

That should be it... or am I missing someting?

After a reboot and setting it to "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR it finally worked again 🙂

However the 2d screen is not quad view. Should/must it be?

Also, how can I verify that foveated is working?

On 5/10/2023 at 9:09 PM, mbucchia said:

A few questions i'm wondering, does doing either of these break msfs + openxr toolkit ability?  I guess also, not easily possible to switch between method 1 and foveated to try each out, short of uninstalling and retesting (dcs)?

If using option b and just the foveated option, is there some way to view the fps inside the aero (as you can with openxr toolkit)?

Edited by theskyisthelimit99

3 hours ago, theskyisthelimit99 said:

A few questions i'm wondering, does doing either of these break msfs + openxr toolkit ability?  I guess also, not easily possible to switch between method 1 and foveated to try each out, short of uninstalling and retesting (dcs)?

If using option b and just the foveated option, is there some way to view the fps inside the aero (as you can with openxr toolkit)?

It shouldn't break other apps. There was an update "Varjo-Foveate 0.2.0" that fixes some issues with Unreal apps, but no known issue since.

For OpenXR Toolkit, you can use the per-app activation/deactivation in the desktop app to disable it for a specific game.

You can leave Varjo-Foveated installed while having InstanceExtensionsWrapper, the latter will disable the former. 

The only thing you need to truly uninstall is InstanceExtensionsWrapper. Because the way this works, it has to be inserted in a very special way (unlike the other 2). This is why it's so important that ED provides an option to disable quad views rather than this horrible hack. Or at least they need to follow OpenXR standard and query the output of `xrEnumerateViewConfigurations()`, which they seem to ignore today.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Ive tried open XR, getting lots of warping when I use motion reprojection frustratingly because it is running quite smoothly. I've deleted everything and repaired dcs world (full repair) as I want to revert to steam VR. But SteamVR no longer runs with DCS. Just shuts down when DCS launches and Open XR is still running. I only use the multithreading version of DCS now.

Does anyone know how i can fix this? thanks 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

2 hours ago, westr said:

Ive tried open XR, getting lots of warping when I use motion reprojection frustratingly because it is running quite smoothly. I've deleted everything and repaired dcs world (full repair) as I want to revert to steam VR. But SteamVR no longer runs with DCS. Just shuts down when DCS launches and Open XR is still running. I only use the multithreading version of DCS now.

Does anyone know how i can fix this? thanks 

If using MR make sure you're NOT also using over prediction reduction aka shaking reduction, found in the oxr toolkit.

--Arthur C Clark

Sorry probably didn't make things clear. I'm desperately trying to get rid of open XR and want to go back to using steam VR for DCS but nothing I seem to do accomplishes this. I have deleted OpenXR numerous times, It just comes back when I run DCS, Steam VR shuts down but DCS just runs on Open XR. I've just tried removing Mixed reality and steam VR and reinstalling but i'm still having the same thing, can anyone advise.  

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

AFAIK if you are using the MT option you are functionally forced to OpenXR (at least at the moment)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

10 minutes ago, westr said:

Sorry probably didn't make things clear. I'm desperately trying to get rid of open XR and want to go back to using steam VR for DCS but nothing I seem to do accomplishes this. I have deleted OpenXR numerous times, It just comes back when I run DCS, Steam VR shuts down but DCS just runs on Open XR. I've just tried removing Mixed reality and steam VR and reinstalling but i'm still having the same thing, can anyone advise.  

Only ST version works with OXR or OVR (SteamVR), MT only OXR.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hi,

After some experimentation, it seems if I run DCS with OpenXR, then my MEta Quest Pro second controller (left hand) isn't recognized.

If I run DCS with Oculus API (not forcing OpenXR) then I can see both controllers. If I run MT version, then only one controller shows up (further proof that OpenXR messes with second controller).

I hope that this can be addressed.

Thank you

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

• 4 weeks later...

I keep trying to launch with forced openxr and openvr turned off in Aero and it tries to open steamvr EVERY SINGLE TIME and then loads the game in 2D.  I am using shortcut settings for the MT process like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

Just basically ignores it and launches in 2d anyways.  The steamvr pops with all sorts of errors for why steamvr isn't on or w/e.   Why is it trying to use steamvr?????  Anyone?

I have foveated turned off, openvr turned off(aero settings0, and vsync also turned off.  According to everyone else's comments and posts this is the settings everyone is using... yet it still tries and fails to use steamvr.  Why?