DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

On 10/19/2023 at 7:07 PM, Sr. said:

Now that I have fought my way into MT mode...

I think so. I haven't done any actual comparison but, I wanted to started some "testing" with base minimum goings on.

Right now I have OXR Toolkit disabled, OXRWMR resolution set at 150%, WMR 60Hz (I still prefer 60Hz to having to run any form of repro)

null

F-16 Take off, Caucuses. Low banking turns.

Visually absolutely stunning. It's almost TOO hi res in the cockpit. Frame rate never leaves 60.

I will note that now, even the standard clouds are more than good enough. No more emersion breaking, jaggedy lines where the clouds meet horizon of hilltops.

My in game settings: I honestly couldn't tell a difference between DLSS Perf/Quality slider at Balanced or Quality

null

image.png

image.png

I would turn SSLR off.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:22 PM, Zebra1-1 said:

I would turn SSLR off.

Oh wow... didn't even realize that was on. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

DCS runs horribly for me when I use the OpenXR toolkit (I'm running the MT version of the DCS.exe). Is the toolkit currently unusable with DCS MT or am I doing something wrong?

I found I don't need the toolkit anymore, since alot of the features are now built into DCS and I have QuadViews that also has things like sharpening and turbo mode... so I took it off a while ago.

Anything in the toolkit that you really need that you can't get from native OpenXR mode core settings? 

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

On 11/10/2023 at 9:18 PM, HoneyBadger said:

DCS runs horribly for me when I use the OpenXR toolkit (I'm running the MT version of the DCS.exe). Is the toolkit currently unusable with DCS MT or am I doing something wrong?

Same here.

The best results I'm getting is using only Windows OXR, and DCS on MT. Anything else just degrades it.

My specs:

HP REVERB G2
i5 12400f 4.4GHz
RTX 4070 TI 12GB
32GB 3000MHz

On 11/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, HoneyBadger said:

16 hours ago, Muas said:

Same here.

The best results I'm getting is using only Windows OXR, and DCS on MT. Anything else just degrades it.

My specs:

HP REVERB G2
i5 12400f 4.4GHz
RTX 4070 TI 12GB
32GB 3000MHz

Don't use OpenXR Toolkit. There's really no need for it.

I have a G2 and only have OpenXR Tools for WMR (available from the Microsoft Store) installed.

I currently use oxrtk for one feature only, turbo mode... Which makes a hell of a difference 

Obviously only if you aren't using reprojection 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I currently use oxrtk for one feature only, turbo mode... Which makes a hell of a difference 

My experience with turbo mode was a bit of a let down... it keeps "missing the (fps) target", so I had to drop it down to lower figures than what I usualy get without OXRTK.

Maybe I didn't set it correctly... so I ended up deactivating it, and currently it's the best overall results I get: no OXRTK no OpenXR Tools. Just WMR.

This is performance wise, quality wise, I still have some small artifacts I would like to get rid of, like some trailing on exterior aircraft lights, and some "color ghosting" around moving objects. Engine exaust heat blur also looks bad, I will probably switch it off. Other than that I'm getting a very pleasant VR experience with WMR.

11 hours ago, Muas said:

My experience with turbo mode was a bit of a let down... it keeps "missing the (fps) target", so I had to drop it down to lower figures than what I usualy get without OXRTK.

Maybe I didn't set it correctly... so I ended up deactivating it, and currently it's the best overall results I get: no OXRTK no OpenXR Tools. Just WMR.

This is performance wise, quality wise, I still have some small artifacts I would like to get rid of, like some trailing on exterior aircraft lights, and some "color ghosting" around moving objects. Engine exaust heat blur also looks bad, I will probably switch it off. Other than that I'm getting a very pleasant VR experience with WMR.

What do you mean by FPS target? 

Turbo mode doesn't use a target frame rate as far as I know, it just forces the game to submit frames as fast as possible, not holding any back. The downside is possible latency. 

Maybe you mean frame rate lock or another feature? 

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

I followed your tips, disabled oxrtoolkit and as many of you reported, experience is smoother. I tried forcing resolution to 65% (I have a gtx 1080 non TI) and at 60hz with forced smoothing, it was very good, I got rid of those small stutters when turning the head that were a bit unpleasant. I think I can crank the resolution or some candyness a bit upward as DCS say I'm CPU limited, so there must be some juice in the GPU to squeeze out.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 2:12 AM, speed-of-heat said:

Man! Don't ever disable turbo mode for testing something. It's almost impossible to re-enable. Now it causes DCS to crash mostly and if it launches at all, there's a never ending lengthy freeze frame effect.

For now, I am only using the "anti shake" feature with OXRTK.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

6 hours ago, Sr. said:

Man! Don't ever disable turbo mode for testing something. It's almost impossible to re-enable. Now it causes DCS to crash mostly and if it launches at all, there's a never ending lengthy freeze frame effect.

I used to have this issue with Pico 4, VD and steam vr, but since VD can access open xr direct I no longer have any issues with turbo mode. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

6 hours ago, Sr. said:

Does any know how to get rid of the cockpit shake without using the OXRTK? 

In VR the 'shake' is really off-putting for me, but toolkit anti-shake fixes that but that's the only thing I use it for. 

2 minutes ago, tangobravo said:

In VR the 'shake' is really off-putting for me, but toolkit anti-shake fixes that but that's the only thing I use it for. 

What sort of cockpit shaking are you getting? Is this in regular view or just in zoom mode? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

On 11/16/2023 at 4:38 AM, TAIPAN_ said:

What do you mean by FPS target? 

Turbo mode doesn't use a target frame rate as far as I know, it just forces the game to submit frames as fast as possible, not holding any back. The downside is possible latency. 

Maybe you mean frame rate lock or another feature? 

Yeah, I think I didn't get it right, because in the overlay, the "missing target" message comes in the same place where "turbo on" appears replacing the latter, so I though it was related to it... yes, the target FPS is another feature. If I set let's say 60fps as target, then when low flying over forest, (F-15E, Caucasus) the "missing target" message appears, the fps comes down to 40/45 sometimes even less, and this is also because I have all the detais and shadows settings maxed out, I sure need to do some tweaking here.

But the point is that if not using OXRTK/Turbo ON, I get much higher fps when away from the detailed objects. With Turbo ON, I can get stable 45ish flying high but still coming 30ish when flying low over dense objects areas. It's capping it too low, maybe I really need to lower the details settings. When flying time is scarse, I tend to focus on flying more than tweaking... 🙂

the target is more a measure of "what is my performance in relation to a desired refresh rate" as i understand it, more of a diagostic... "turbo on" is when it is working... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

5 hours ago, tangobravo said:

Regular view, but only in cockpit. With the toolkit shake reduction cranked up it's fine. 

Same. My best example: I use the VR cursor and 2 modifier mapped buttons on my stick for mouse control. Once I center the cursor, I just enable it, look at what I want to click. Without the anti shake, it's more difficult to pinpoint buttons I want to press, and I've noticed it more difficult to target the IHADSS gun cursor in the Apache without it. 

--Arthur C Clark

Seriously though... I can no longer get DCS to run using OXRTK. Menu loads, then it's a constant freeze fest inside the HMD, Until it ultimately crashes. 

--Arthur C Clark

9 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

the target is more a measure of "what is my performance in relation to a desired refresh rate" as i understand it, more of a diagostic... "turbo on" is when it is working... 

So that means that below a certain target the turbo goes off? Because the "turbo on" message doesn't stay there all the time...

• 1 month later...

Took me a while to figure this out.  This option is no longer in Developer, it's now in a OpenXR tab.  Which is not visible in VR.  You have to open settings from the desktop SteamVR app to find it.

210117978-1dacfc74-30eb-4042-9db5-dc2e09

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download