Deka Simulations announces the DCS: J-8II for DCS World!

Mike_Romeo

Just now, uboats said:

on hold at this moment, since we recently have many of our models converted to 3dsmax files and sold online.

Oh cool! Sorry they stole your stuff though, that sucks.

anyway two things I’m excited about

ive really wanted PL-11 and PL-8 for a long time

apg-66 is extremely well documented, I posted a ton on the first page and I’m sure Deka has a lot. We have the potential for an extremely realistic radar simulation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Morri said:

@PLAAF As I saw you're the man that knows his stuff for the J-8 variants and such, From all that I've read , it constantly says that J-8IIs were flown over to be upgraded as part of Peace Pearl but I can't figure out which variant was the one that was to be upgraded , so what is the base from which the PP is built? I'm assuming probably the B variant. Have you got any info on this?

12 hours ago, uboats said:

J-8B

Yep

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

1 hour ago, uboats said:

on hold at this moment, since we recently have many of our models converted to 3dsmax files and sold online.

Damn... Give them a bite and they steal the entire meal...

Thats really sad to see...

1 hour ago, uboats said:

but j-8f ai can carry pl-12

I'll probably make an Flyable mod (just default SFM and Su-27 cockpit) for anyone interested.

Now, all that J-8 is amazing, but i've heard Rumors about multiple things regarding the J-11A, will we get any news anytime soon?

• Like 1

I’m a bit confused by this.

From what I’ve just read, the PP never flew.  Is the intent to use an FM for a different variant?

To my knowledge, the PP Model has the same aerodynamics as the J-8II.

• Like 1

Laptop: i7 7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, GTX1050Ti, 1TB HDD 5400RPM

PC: R5 5600X, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 512GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD, 4TB HDD, Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti

12 hours ago, carss said:

Curious, why not consider the Block 02? It was Improved J-8B with KLJ-1 (Type 208A) radar and improved avionics. Originally designated J-8 IIB. Would be nice to have a J-8 with Chinese systems and avionics instead of Western?

Probably because that one did not have BVR missiles.

Hi @uboats, can you tell us, does this PP version has aerial refueling rod? Thanks.

• Like 1

qLjvyQ3.png

To be honest, I dont see why its a big deal. Same airframe just with different avionics. Its like a PC with different hardware. Its pretty normal in general aviation that people put anything they want into their cockpit and its kinda the same here with the J-8PP. The documentation exist for the avionics and we see that they have been installed in the aircraft at some point. It wont make the aircraft fly different from other J-8II

IMG_8954.jpgIMG_8953.jpg

But they could have installed a better RWR other than the SPO-10 you see in the top left corner

• Like 4

My skins

16 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

Interesting! Will Deka get the correct info and data on all this? From what I have read, only 2 (!) Peace Pearl prototypes was fitted with the western avionics. Incomplete and cancelled around 1989-1990. Im sure Deka can dig up info on individual systems, but maybe guesswork on how they are tied together? Anyways, interesting choice, will buy Day 1 🙂

I think there had been some big difficulties in getting the absolute Chinese variant as the Chinese can be very restrictive and secretive about their homegrown avionics. They still use some of these planes as reserve interceptors of sorts.

I suppose we can expect this in 2025.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Capn kamikaze said:

The project was cancelled, so why is this being brought to DCS?

Maybe difficulty in getting J-8II with the homegrown Chinese avionics and they really did not have much of a choice. Chinese can be very restrictive about their homegrown avionics and hence this adjustment.

There are still some J-8II in service as reserve interceptors.

Edited by jojyrocks
  • Like 4

Sigh... you know, I can write a pretty long post quoting and replying to multiple people from both sides but, what's the point? I'll just say that, DCS community has such a unique ability in that, they can make me vehemently disagree with BOTH sides of a heated debate on something.

I've already stated that I'm somewhat disappointed, but also just mildly excited in an earlier post in this thread, so, there, I have some thought I share with both detractors and celebrators. But both sides' "black and white" look at many things is just frankly tiresome.

I'll only make a few points:

- Yes, expressing negative thoughts, grinding as it may be, is often at least as important as doing the same with positive thought. If anything, I'll readily say that it contributes a lot to the health of whatever is receiving that feedback. Random knee-jerk white-knighting however, doesn't. Only thing the latter serves is to rile up people into being even less reasonable.

- This variant, from what I can find, was in fact has a couple prototype airframes built, and they were test flown in US. Yes, it was never operational. Yes, this is less than ideal. But every piece of avionic from either China or USA that was put on it are pretty well known things by now, and there is no reason to assume a prototype that was built and tested wasn't documented as the process went. If that is the case, I'll just go ahead and say that if anything this is going to be something grounded in reality more than what we have in Blackshark 3, which I have some reservations about as much as I like it.

- Since Deka will apparently give us an AI J-8F, which is a completely domestic and in service variant of the bird, but give us an odd-ball prototype that was never in service and has US avionics, it appaers like this is probably the only one they can make at a DCS standard with info legally available to them. IT WOULD BE GOOD IF THEY COULD CLEARLY COMMUNICATE THIS OF COURSE. But hey ho... Otherwise we'll have to stick with getting samey aircraft from same few countries. Deka even said early on that they consider making a western jet as their second module years ago after the first release of JF-17, and we as a community said "please no". This is a compromise, one most of us from either side of blue/red aircraft lovers will have issues with, sure. But seems like one that was necessary to get us a different red(ish...) bird.

- I for one, don't care too much about this country or that country. I like planes, for the most part. F-16, I've never liked, is the main fighter of my country forever, and I like some aircraft and liveries operated by the countries/regimes I don't care for. I want as many cool, obscure, interesting aircraft from as many places as possible. And I do like them red birds. Could be that "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome (even though that isn't quite how I feel), or because of the fact that we just rarely had them simulated throughout decades, and we still don't have many of them made. So if we can a cool obscure red bird that was actually made and documented as a prototype, as much as I'd prefer a domestic and full production variant, I'll still say YES. "Nobody asked for this", yeah, let's assume nobody did... so what?

- I guess we (well mostly) all agree that we want aircraft DCS to be as realistic as possible, and we don't generally want made up, guesstimated, ufo things if at all possible. I am that way at least. Well, let's make it perfectly clear here: probably NONE of the existing modules fully fit that criteria. Including many, many of the blue birds. Mirage 2000 is one of the best modules now, after like 8ish years since its initial release... when they got a new programmer who was basically a Mirage 2000 nerd, and when they also got cooperation from AdA. Until that, it had a lot in it that was just plain and pure guesstimated, even its then devs admitted to it about a few things like symbology etc. I personally still don't have much faith in its flight model, but that's just me, and apart from that it is legitimately one of the best modules now. Yet it has always been one of the most popular modules before too... MiG-21Bis, used to be one of my favorites, was developed by a person who was actively flying that very type in Serbian air force at the time too. Yet, miraculosuly, it still has many systems that are just plain wrong, and throughout its existence in DCS, it went through like 6-8ish flight models with wildly different characteristics at the edges of envelope, where it's interesting to fly... and that's a bird as unclassified as it gets. What I'm getting is... a well documented prototype with mostly obsolete foreign tech may not be nearly as far off documentation and realism wise from our favorite existing modules... not nearly as much as many of you seem to think...

• Like 14

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

59 minutes ago, Mike_Romeo said:

To be honest, I dont see why its a big deal.

It’s a big deal because some people are Uber-purists. They think everyone else should be Uber-purists, too, or they don’t belong in DCS. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Same reason why we have the Ka-50 Black Shark 3 that never existed. To make money and to open "what if" scenarios

Wait, Ka-50 never existed? I thought they build a small patch of them. 18 of them I think.

qLjvyQ3.png

Was really hoping for a late J-7 as I think is a more interesting plane, I would have understood the J-8 If we had the Taiwan straits or any other part involving China, now I don't really understand why we would get the J-8, and even less that strange prototype.

Good luck with the project Deka, will check the next one.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

2 hours ago, Capn kamikaze said:

Ok, so DCS needs to change its name to DCG then, and allow anything.

You do realize that you can Simulate an Plane that never flew. A Simulation is Fictional. It is Simulating something that did or could happen. So, what's your point now?

• Like 5

IIRC, HB's typhoon is also a fantasy aircraft, which mixes avionics from different variants, the same as RAZBAM F15. And the Jeff got AAR capability from block2. As for blackshark3, it is blackshark3.
Agree with upper: "simulation is fictional“.
I don't see any problem for deka developing a specific aircraft that exists in the world.

Edited by Arisugary
  • Like 2