With DCS: F-15E, we need Iraq

CheckGear

It's literally where the Strike Eagle made a name for itself. Looking forward to an Iran campaign, but there inevitable needs to be a Desert Storm campaign and also a no-fly zone campaign. Always loved the "Iraq '93" campaign from MicroProse's F-15 Strike Eagle III.

Also, if Israeli variants are going to be released, would like the Syria map to be expanded to southern Israel/Gaza also.

• Like 16

I agree. I was always wondering why "Persian Gulf" in DCS means peaceful 2018 Hormuz Strait with artificial palm tree islands - and not either Gulf War 1991 full scale war zone over Kuwait/South Iraq. Or full scale war zone 1980-1988 Iraq-Iran war over Iraqi-Iranian border. Or at least 1980s "Tankers war" in Hormuz Strait. Especially we have in DCS nearly all modules for all this 3 conflicts, for both sides, flayable.

But no, instead modern day peaceful Burj Khalifa and palm tree islands Hormuz Strait which would fit civilian flight sim well, not really combat simulator.

PS: our F-15E RAZBAM is making is going to be 2003-2015 variants. Unfortunately no F-15E from Gulf War with original engines, pre AMRAAM, at least not now, but they announced both engine types so maybe in the future.

Edited by bies
  • Like 9

The north west of the map does include most of Kuwait and a small amount of Iraq, though unfortunately there’s nothing modelled there.  So it is possible to create missions based upon the retake of Kuwait, though it’s far from perfect.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 2/19/2023 at 2:59 AM, bies said:

I was always wondering why "Persian Gulf" in DCS means peaceful 2018 Hormuz Strait with artificial palm tree islands - and not either Gulf War 1991 full scale war zone over Kuwait/South Iraq. Or full scale war zone 1980-1988 Iraq-Iran war over Iraqi-Iranian border. Or at least 1980s "Tankers war" in Hormuz Strait. Especially we have in DCS nearly all modules for all this 3 conflicts, for both sides, flayable.

But no, instead modern day peaceful Burj Khalifa and palm tree islands Hormuz Strait which would fit civilian flight sim well, not really combat simulator.

PS: our F-15E RAZBAM is making is going to be 2003-2015 variants. Unfortunately no F-15E from Gulf War with original engines, pre AMRAAM, at least not now, but they announced both engine types so maybe in the future.

Suspension of disbelief required even in an uber-realistic simulation like DCS. You're just not going to be able to create historical scenarios down to the smallest of minutiae. That said, the UAE wasn't a big player in the Tanker Wars, so Strait of Hormuz scenarios aren't marred by the fact you can see the Burj Khalifa in a scenario taking place in 1988.

Even if they don't have the pre-1993 variant, still plenty of action for the Strike Eagle over Iraq from 1993 - 2003.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:56 PM, CheckGear said:

Also, if Israeli variants are going to be released, would like the Syria map to be expanded to southern Israel/Gaza also.

Will be there as part of the Sinai map. A bit of a bother than you won't be able to fly there from Lebanon (not without loading another mission, anyway), but Gaza will be there.

3 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Yes, if someone build a map with match with east Siria border, caucasus south border and actual empty Persian gulf map zones

Thats a non sense, we need a map of Iraq-Iran and Kuwait, the one I posted do that within the DCS limits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

17 minutes ago, Mike Force Team said:

@Silver_Dragon I remember ED said they were making a global map. Would the global map include the Middle East?

Mike Force Team

Surely, but I think has very early... by the 2023 "Roadmap"...

Spherical Earth Map
2022 saw great progress creating the tools and technologies to support a precise spherical Earth map for DCS. Because this map will be based on current day, it will operate independently of the current and future regional maps that allow historic maps such as World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and other scenarios. Spherical Earth efforts will continue in 2023.

I think the world map is far more complex than the dynamic campaign so I don't expect to see it anytime soon (5 years at least).

The advantage of my proposed map is that covers, the 1990-1991 ODS campaign, the 2003 campaign and the main ground battles of the Iran-Iraq War. We have almost the complete set of aircraft for all the three conflicts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even with a world map, it’s highly unlikely to be correct for either war, as the world map we get is most probably going to be based on current Sat Nav data.

I see that as where future DCS Theatres make sense as stand-alone modules, ie to provide a snapshot in time for a location, whether that is WW2, Korea, Vietnam or pretty much any scenario not set in the present.

• Like 3

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The Persian Gulf map (originally called Strait of Hormuz) is feature complete. It won't change. People tried to put pressure on ED to complete the map, but they have made their decision.

I do really like the map suggested by Stratos although I would prefer it be go a little bit more to the west towards Jordan instead of the east towards Iran: We have already got a iranian map.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:06 PM, Stratos said:

We need this!

lgzk8vwoxnk61.thumb.png.e5ed9f3fb6d45cc38b9156e54a4fa96a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ironhard said:

I do really like the map suggested by Stratos although I would prefer it be go a little bit more to the west towards Jordan instead of the east towards Iran: We have already got a iranian map.

We don't have this part of Iran at all and we need it for any meaningful Iran vs Iraq action. I'd propose to expand it even farther south and east to have Qatar (also missing in PG map) and most of the Gulf for US airbases and more carrier group freedom.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

IMO, we need specifically a 90s Iraq for ODS scenarios. I do hope spherical Earth map will be able to alter specific landmarks based on date, but even then, Google Maps only launched in 2005. They probably have the images stored somewhere, which should make it possible to make a mid-2000s world, at least, to fit our modern aircraft selection. That could work for the 2003 invasion, but during ODS the region looked quite different.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CheckGear said:

Yes, this is exactly what we need. You can do Desert Storm, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, and even Inherent Resolve with this. You can also do Iran scenarios.

the idea behind that map is to include as much theatres for operations as possible, we can simulate almost all the ground battles of the Iran-Iraq War, the ground battles of the Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom and all the A-A operations between major operations.

• Like 1