Multithreading Performance is Sensational in VR

Flextremes

11 hours ago, Flextremes said:

My system: Highly optimized Win 10, AMD 5800x3D, 4090, Reverb G2, Native OpenXR, almost maxed out DCS settings with 80% FSR upscaled resolution to 3700x3600 with 100% sharpening.

Can you expound more on this? When I use the OXRTK 80% FSR shows 2524x2470 on my G2

Am I doing something wrong?  I'm using a 3090, so I don't expect my performance to be anywhere near yours, but with lower settings I'm hoping to hit 90 FPS.

My Pixel Density is 1.0

12 minutes ago, Khangirey said:

Can you expound more on this? When I use the OXRTK 80% FSR shows 2524x2470 on my G2

Am I doing something wrong?  I'm using a 3090, so I don't expect my performance to be anywhere near yours, but with lower settings I'm hoping to hit 90 FPS.

My Pixel Density is 1.0

On the system TAB of open XR I have set an output resolution of 3700x3600. On the performance tab I set 80%: this results in a render resolution of 2950x2900 being upscaled to 3700x3600. This means that the GPU is doing all the rendering at 2950x2900, then FSR upscales with sharpening to 3700x3600. This is the image resolution actually received by my G2. 

You are doing nothing wrong: 80% rendered upscaling works great with FSR. Set sharpening at 100: it works really well.

Leave pixel density a 1.0. 

DCS World_20230311_153026_FSR_80_100_R.jpegDCS World_20230311_153043_FSR_80_100_R.jpeg

Edited by Flextremes

Seeing an improvement here in OpenXR/VR with my system (HP G2, 5800x3d, 3070ti, Win 11) and my settings (RES: 2800x2800 per eye, medium/hi graphics, no MSAA, reprojection ON). 

My FPS is locked at 45 in the Air using the in game FPS counter because of reprojection, but was usually around 30 on the ground in a crowded airfield or on the carrier deck. The low end has now bumped up to 45 all the time.

FPS counter says I am always "CPU bound (main thread)" which is an indication that I should retweak my settings since I seem to have some headroom. Obviously no reason why a 5800x3D should be a bottleneck.

Very pleased with the new DCS HT so far, seeing an immediate improvement and since this is the first draft, there is obviously room for improvement in the future.

13 minutes ago, Flextremes said:

On the system TAB of open XR I have set an output resolution of 3700x3600. On the performance tab I set 80%: this results in a render resolution of 2950x2900 being upscaled to 3700x3600. This means that the GPU is doing all the rendering at 2950x2900, then FSR upscales with sharpening to 3700x3600. This is the image resolution actually received by my G2. 

Thank you. I see now. I tried running at those resolutions, no way I was getting close to 90. Have you had trouble with getting motion reprojection kicking in by default? Both my Toolkit and tools settings have it set to automatic, but it doesn't kick in for me. 

3 minutes ago, Joch1955 said:

Seeing an improvement here in OpenXR/VR with my system (HP G2, 5800x3d, 3070ti, Win 11) and my settings (RES: 2800x2800 per eye, medium/hi graphics, no MSAA, reprojection ON). 

My FPS is locked at 45 in the Air using the in game FPS counter because of reprojection, but was usually around 30 on the ground in a crowded airfield or on the carrier deck. The low end has now bumped up to 45 all the time.

FPS counter says I am always "CPU bound (main thread)" which is an indication that I should retweak my settings since I seem to have some headroom. Obviously no reason why a 5800x3D should be a bottleneck.

Very pleased with the new DCS HT so far, seeing an immediate improvement and since this is the first draft, there is obviously room for improvement in the future.

I think the FPS counter is bugged. I'm clearly GPU bound, but it only shows me CPU bound as well (Even though I'm 3ms (333 FPS theoretical)

8 minutes ago, Khangirey said:

Thank you. I see now. I tried running at those resolutions, no way I was getting close to 90. Have you had trouble with getting motion reprojection kicking in by default? Both my Toolkit and tools settings have it set to automatic, but it doesn't kick in for me. 

I think the FPS counter is bugged. I'm clearly GPU bound, but it only shows me CPU bound as well (Even though I'm 3ms (333 FPS theoretical)

What FPS counter are you using?

1 minute ago, Khangirey said:

The OpenXR Toolkit. The same readout you're getting with the yellow text.

The bugged one I was refering to was DCS's built in one with rightcntrl-pausenull

Why do you say it is bugged? Seems ok to me but I would not know how to tell if working properly or not anyway.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Why do you say it is bugged? Seems ok to me but I would not know how to tell if working properly or not anyway.

Another user linked this to me. https://fpstoms.com/ You can try to use this tool to calculate your needed timings.

In essence, if my desired frame rate is 90 (maximum frame rate of the G2), and my GPU shows me at 17ms (theoretical maximum of 58fps), and 3ms CPU, it means I am GPU bound.

I would need to lower my latency to 11ms in order to hit the maximum 90fps. 

Think of it as the inverse of fps. More latency (measured in ms) = bad. 

Oh disregard my previous post, it seems the DCS in-game performance counter is bugged/wrong. I'm not at all CPU bound despite it saying so. Far from it, it's using all my cores and only like 4ms per frame, as opposed to 15-20ms on the GPU at 90-100%. So don't believe that that say in-game that's you're CPU bound on main/render threads.

Although PimaxXR seems broken in menus, the performance improvement with MT is very good.  I have noticed a 1.5ms decrease in CPU FT running my test track (F-18 caucasus), and also a 0.5ms decrease in GPU FT.

If I turn flat shadows blurring off, the gain is even better with 2.1ms drop in CPU FT and 1.1ms drop in GPU FT.  We are back to 2.7 performance and even slightly better!

Running my 8kX at 60hz with no reprojection and native resolution at 4k per eye.

Thanks ED, this is very nice!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

1 hour ago, WipeUout said:

Although PimaxXR seems broken in menus, the performance improvement with MT is very good.  I have noticed a 1.5ms decrease in CPU FT running my test track (F-18 caucasus), and also a 0.5ms decrease in GPU FT.

If I turn flat shadows blurring off, the gain is even better with 2.1ms drop in CPU FT and 1.1ms drop in GPU FT.  We are back to 2.7 performance and even slightly better!

Running my 8kX at 60hz with no reprojection and native resolution at 4k per eye.

Thanks ED, this is very nice!

Hmm I got an 8kx, a 12900k and a 4090. I got issues in menues, but also in game with pimaxxr. Shadows is also an issue where when I’m on the ground in the f-16. I have to look directly towards where the shadows are and they pop in and disappear when I look away. I also have no cockpit-shadows. This is with MT. Anyone else get this?

I’ve tried to limit fps with the toolkit, but this has no effect. I tried a restart to see that was needed for fps-limiting. 

7 hours ago, Zoijar said:

Hmm I'm not sure yet. Data point:

• Default overclocked RTX 3090, Ryzen9 5900X 12-core, 64GB ram
  • SteamVR / Valve Index
  • 90Hz, 120% steam upscaling, motion reprojection turned off
  • DCS pretty maxed out, almost all high/ultra, medium shadows, 4x anisotropic filtering, 2x MSAA, none of SS(AO etc), 1.7 pixel density, all sliders to the right, default shadows + global illumination

With steam upscaling and 1.7 pixel density you are doubling up on the same thing but also the DCS pixel density setting is not very efficient. Pixel density in DCS should be left at 1

Another happy customer here! Specs in the description, CPU time much improved and holding steady 45 with motion smoothing on most of the time! Thank you for your work!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Ok folks, I need your help:
I'm seeing some correlation, but I need some data to see if it's causation!

Can you quote this message with the following:

• Windows 10 or 11?
  • Have you seen significant improvement, especially in historically challenging scenarios such as Supercarrier, Mariannas, etc.
    • If possible share your FPS or frametime differences from pre-MT to MT

just need those two questions answered.

Thanks everyone!

Just now, ChariotOfFLAME said:

Ok folks, I need your help:
I'm seeing some correlation, but I need some data to see if it's causation!

Can you quote this message with the following:

• Windows 10 or 11?
  • Have you seen significant improvement, especially in historically challenging scenarios such as Supercarrier, Mariannas, etc.
    • If possible share your FPS or frametime differences from pre-MT to MT

just need those two questions answered.

Thanks everyone!

My spreadsheet above should answer some of your questions for my experience. Windows 11 and yes, improvement. 

• Like 1

I saw no benefit to MT in openxr no steamvr then went back to steamvr to get motion repro back in hopes it would be better and it was worse with tons of jitter. Now I cant go back to openxr for some reason at all and forcing it with the Force OpenXR command line does nothing. Steamvr still launches.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

5 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

OTT does not see the DCS MT exe.

@Steel JawWhat do you mean OTT doesn’t see MT? Those two are not related. 
OTT works as before when Link or Airlink is used.

OTT is not relevant only when Virtual Desktop is used.

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

G2 user with a 5950x and 3090. Can see the CPU timings improve from 10ms to 3.5ms or so going from ST to MT but my GPU is the bottleneck at around 20ms.

Like many users on here no FPS improvement as GPU bound but still getting 45fps on the ground and 55 in the air. Worst 40fps on the ground in the Apache Mariannas Dawn Invasion quick start which seems a good stress test.

Still very happy with the performance despite no gain with MT. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2023 at 8:18 PM, dburne said:

Are you overclocking the cores on that 9900k cpu? I run mine  at 5.1 Ghz and combined with my 4090 GPU saw a nice improvement running the MT version.

No, I don't mess with OC...cheers

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

On 3/12/2023 at 9:21 PM, ignition22 said:

With steam upscaling and 1.7 pixel density you are doubling up on the same thing but also the DCS pixel density setting is not very efficient. Pixel density in DCS should be left at 1

Thanks for this by the way! I now set it to 1.0 and steam to 250%, which I know is a lower total res but it looks roughly the same, and the performance is so much better. Stable 45 fps @ 90hz and the GPU is not at 100% so some headroom. All that stuttering on low terrain is gone too, it's super smooth now. Thanks!

I set my monitor screen resolution to 1360x768 since it's displayed while playing in VR? I assume the GPU has to work harder if I leave it in 2560x1440 since it renders the 2d screen at same time as VR? Is it possible to deactivate the 2d screen when in VR, or no effect on performance?

Certainly happy with MT myself. But not just MT but DCS as a whole though some missions (map sections, modules etc) still have erratic performance issues. Open XR options/tweaks, MT and the new lighting and graphical upgrades all combine to create an extremely immersive and realistic experience in VR especially during certain missions. There are times when I think it even gives MSFS a run for its money, maybe not over cities and such, but out in the mountain ranges and in bad weather conditions it is very convincing!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,