🧐 How Normandy 2 map works in VR?

YoYo

My first Experience with Normandy 2 DCS 2.8.4.38947 Open Beta

DCS-"Multithreating"-Version ( no AI ). Very much stuttery and fps at the 50 fps,CPU Bound. 
DCS-"SingleThread"-Version ( no AI ) 90 fps in Province and stuttery in Paris 40-76fps.

Runtime: OpenXR, no Motion Reprojection 

Status: Its unplayable for me per now. The other maps don't show this stutters in "MT". But I'm sure they will fix it soon.

R5600x; rtx4080, 32 GB RAM, HP Reverb G2 (75% Resolution)

Edited by Ulukai

8 hours ago, skybaby68 said:

For me at least, and this is on a simple mission editor map, dropping down a spit on the south coast with no clouds, no other AI, wherever you are in the UK, if you so much as even 'look in the general direction' of London then the frames dip from 60-61 to 29-34 (I'm using 60Hz without Motion Reprojection in WMR). And yes I've even resorted to dropping things like terrain visibility & detail to medium but absolutely no change there.

France & even Paris does seem a better experience.

Meanwhile. All other maps, heavily laiden campaign missions etc, from this update and on MT; are as they were. Silky smooth 60fps near all times.

It's heartening at least, to know that the VR users having problems seem to be in the minority but with my i7-11700K, 3080Ti etc, I wasn't expecting quite this bad a performance hit. 

Imagine my surprise with a 4080 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Really disappointed in how this map runs in VR. With my system (which is quite beefy) I got FPS in the low 20s when flying low over London (no fancy weather and no AI)... It varied between 20-50fps and with huge and random drops...

I usually have 60-90FPS with the same settings on Syria on busy multiplayer servers.

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

Performance is decent on my setup 5800X3D/4090 with Varjo Aero DFR mode.  Only tested free flights, custom Apache/London and Apache/Paris.  Also F-16C instant FF mission (this looks so much better in VR than Normandy 1.0, smokes look great with variable shades of blacks).  90 fps in noncongested areas with my personal settings (37PPD, PD 0.9, medium textures, etc.).  70-75 fps in London and 70-80 in Paris (no other flying objects or smokes etc.), 70+ fps in F-16 instant FF mission.

Which areas you guys do get very low fps in London, I was flying around the river mostly near London Bridge. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Flew the Hornet on a tour of the New Normandy 2.0 (French side and Paris) in VR. Was seeing 35 to 50 FPS with the HP G2. Was running the Multi threaded version of DCS without steam.

I love this map, purchased a new war-bird since they are on sale again.

While flying over Paris I could see the buildings growing out of the landscape in the distance. Still a bit stuttery when looking straight down, maybe a new 4090 will help with that.

System

i9-9900K, 64 GB Ram, Geforce RTX 2070

Settings

DCS Settings.JPG

11 hours ago, Supmua said:

Performance is decent on my setup 5800X3D/4090 with Varjo Aero DFR mode.  Only tested free flights, custom Apache/London and Apache/Paris.  Also F-16C instant FF mission (this looks so much better in VR than Normandy 1.0, smokes look great with variable shades of blacks).  90 fps in noncongested areas with my personal settings (37PPD, PD 0.9, medium textures, etc.).  70-75 fps in London and 70-80 in Paris (no other flying objects or smokes etc.), 70+ fps in F-16 instant FF mission.

Which areas you guys do get very low fps in London, I was flying around the river mostly near London Bridge. 

I flew very low, in between tower bridge etc in the Spitfre. Time of day was sunset, not sure if that effects it. Need to do more testing today, because the performance was shockingly poor. Don't think I've ever seen frame drops below 45 with my settings and DFR in other settings, but here it was a stable 20-25 fps for much of the flight.

edit: Normal performance above a few thousand feet (60-90fps), but very frequent drops to low 20s when below 500ft

Edited by Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

I don't see any differences with the N'44 it works well or very well. No stuttering. 

Of course, I have motion reprojection turned on, so a stable 45fps for HP G2. People who do not use reprojection, however, may experience frame fluctuations. When I did MR=off it wasn't so fun anymore. 90fps is impossible here. Either way, I'm satisfied. I tested ST and MT and it's ok. :thumbup:

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

All good here.

Just to sanity check:

- you’ve cleared your FXO and Metashader folders after the most recent patch

- you’re not trying to max out settings in VR just because you’ve bought a new component for your PC

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Works well for me, but I am realistic with the settings based on my middle of the road PC (specs in signature). Textures high, distance high, MSAA 4, all shadows off, everything else low. This gets me smooth 35 to 45 fps in a UH-1 low level London and Paris and 45-50 fps in a jeep driving around in both cities (fantastic ground level details in this map), reprojection off.

RH small.jpg GW vet small.jpg 

"There is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of the correct amount of explosives." Every Demo NCO.

Ryzen 7-5700X, RTX 3060Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB M.2 SSD, Asus 5G/WIFI 6 router, Pico 4 wired to router (CAT 8/USB C).

The key to flying the Normandy & Channel maps...

Stay the hell away from Paris and London. 🤣

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Not too bad for me, considering I'm on 4070Ti. I cannot compare it to Normandy 1.0 ( did not own it) but I noticed one thing. Flying with the same settings as on Channel map the high resolution textures on buildings apear much later on Normandy ( basically just under my wing) when on Channel they are visible from far away.

I wonder if anyone else noticed that too, or it is something with my settings. Or we simply have to wait for NVIDIA 5000 series 😉

42 minutes ago, Koziolek said:

Not too bad for me, considering I'm on 4070Ti. I cannot compare it to Normandy 1.0 ( did not own it) but I noticed one thing. Flying with the same settings as on Channel map the high resolution textures on buildings apear much later on Normandy ( basically just under my wing) when on Channel they are visible from far away.

I wonder if anyone else noticed that too, or it is something with my settings. Or we simply have to wait for NVIDIA 5000 series 😉

I've noticed the building textures pop in late too on the Normandy map, like you say, later than they do on the Channel map. It's very noticeable and very distracting. Maybe that's how they optimise it for better VR performance?

I was experimenting with different DCS VR settings to try and improve it. I think setting ground textures to high improves it slightly than when they're set to low, but that comes at a performance cost.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

not great performance in VR for me and I have a decent PC, got it for only $9 so not too annoyed and was half expecting it anyway. Over time the performance may improve, I tend to find that with these maps.

(Performance is better in standard version and not MT version)

I am disappointed with the growing buildings as you fly along, exactly the same as the Syria map in VR. This does not happen on the channel map. 

Intel Core i9 11900K

64GB DDR4 RAM 

RTX 3080

HP Reverb G2 

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Yup congested cities along with clouds = perf drop and stutters especially under 500ft. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

to reduce how much you notice the buildings growing setting your visible range to high makes a difference, but obviously this impacts performance. It seems strange that the difference between standard and MT version is so significant in terms of performance. Maybe they can improve this.  

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Civilian traffic was the reason for my frame drops below 20fps (low level over London). When only changing civilian traffic from LOW to OFF, I went from 30-40fps with drops under 20 -> 40-60 fps with no noticeable drops or stuttering. Keeping civilian traffic to LOW and reducing other settings (shadows, terrain shadows etc) did not have a meaningful impact, same drops and stutters.

I guess the high amount of trains and smoke are the real FPS killers (at least for me), shame because it really adds to the immersion.

32 minutes ago, Willdass said:

Civilian traffic was the reason for my frame drops

I have noticed this too. With civilian transport set to low the latency kept fluctuating. It is much more stable with it off. 

34 minutes ago, Willdass said:

high amount of trains and smoke

I'll try turning smoke off as well and see if that helps. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

On 4/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, Willdass said:

Civilian traffic was the reason for my frame drops below 20fps (low level over London). When only changing civilian traffic from LOW to OFF, I went from 30-40fps with drops under 20 -> 40-60 fps with no noticeable drops or stuttering. Keeping civilian traffic to LOW and reducing other settings (shadows, terrain shadows etc) did not have a meaningful impact, same drops and stutters.

I guess the high amount of trains and smoke are the real FPS killers (at least for me), shame because it really adds to the immersion.

Interesting thanks for sharing I shall try this. 

• Like 1

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO