Normandy 2.0 FAQ **Updated**

NineLine

Usually there's a month between the beta introduction of a feature and it's inclusion into the stable version.

That said, I see really no point in playing the stable version as of the current state of the game, but since you said not to, I'm not going to ask. 🙂

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

Before I buy this map, which airfields have runways long enough for modern fighter jets to take off from and land on?  I own the F-14, F-16, F/A-18C (with CJS's Superbug mod), A-10C Tank Killer ii, and Flaming Cliffs 3.  I also play with mods like the JAS 39, F-22, Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon, J-20, Su-30, Su-35, and MiG-31.  

11 minutes ago, HighMaintenanceB said:

Before I buy this map, which airfields have runways long enough for modern fighter jets to take off from and land on?  I own the F-14, F-16, F/A-18C (with CJS's Superbug mod), A-10C Tank Killer ii, and Flaming Cliffs 3.  I also play with mods like the JAS 39, F-22, Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon, J-20, Su-30, Su-35, and MiG-31.  

This is a 1944 era map. Most Airfields are.... fields. Dirt-strips. Not suitable for jet-fighters. If you aren't into WWII stuff, you are far better off with Syria (or SA perhaps).

I haven't measured the gazillions of Air strips - and I'm not going to, but I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed.

Edit:

or use an Aircraft-Carrier and kind of replay Final Countdown. 🤗  

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

23 minutes ago, Hiob said:

This is a 1944 era map. Most Airfields are.... fields. Dirt-strips. Not suitable for jet-fighters. If you aren't into WWII stuff, you are far better off with Syria (or SA perhaps).

I haven't measured the gazillions of Air strips - and I'm not going to, but I'm pretty sure you will be disappointed.

Edit:

or use an Aircraft-Carrier and kind of replay Final Countdown. 🤗  

Thanks very much for letting me know - this will be something for me to think about.  

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RafaPolit:

Usually there's a month between the beta introduction of a feature and it's inclusion into the stable version.

That said, I see really no point in playing the stable version as of the current state of the game, but since you said not to, I'm not going to ask. 🙂

Thanks for the heads up.

Mh it is just because I set it up the first time 2.5 years ago in stable and never had the engergy to deinstall everything and transfer to the beta, but maybe this now would be a good reason haha

6 minutes ago, wsbudesign said:

Do you have to be running Beta Version of DCS in order for Normandy 2 to work rather than the full last stable version?

Yes, only Open Beta for now. It's not because of the map but because multithreading needs great polishing since it's a really complex thing.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Hey guys, i need your help. Bought yesterday the update for Normandy 2.0 on steam. After checking in game, no Normandy 2.0 was found. My last solution after hours of research today,  was a clean install of DCS. After the new install - the same. In the first picture you see the content (boxes are checked) of Normandy 2.0, Stage 2 and 3. In the second picture you could read, that there is new contend, that will be installed with the game. The game is fresh installed, and the only thing that is not installed, is Normandy 2.0. Thanks for reading this and i hope, you can help.

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

13 hours ago, Komet_82 said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Mh it is just because I set it up the first time 2.5 years ago in stable and never had the engergy to deinstall everything and transfer to the beta, but maybe this now would be a good reason haha

Remember that you can convert any existing DCS copy into the latest OB or stable. No need to uninstall and reinstall anything. Your settings, missions and whatever will be preserved as well. The updater will only download files required to change the version number.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

45 minutes ago, Sperling said:

Hey guys, i need your help. Bought yesterday the update for Normandy 2.0 on steam. After checking in game, no Normandy 2.0 was found. My last solution after hours of research today,  was a clean install of DCS. After the new install - the same. In the first picture you see the content (boxes are checked) of Normandy 2.0, Stage 2 and 3. In the second picture you could read, that there is new contend, that will be installed with the game. The game is fresh installed, and the only thing that is not installed, is Normandy 2.0. Thanks for reading this and i hope, you can help.

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

On 4/22/2023 at 5:25 AM, AstonMartinDBS said:

Well, after the re-download of Normandy 1944 there's surprisingly an effect and I've got obviously Normandy 2.0:

20230422112124_1.jpg

Maybe some Steam user can reproduce this kind of workaround?

• Uncheck Normandy 1944 Map (DLC) - this removes ~44 GB data
  • run a verify
  • restart Steam client
  • Check Normandy 1944 Map (DLC) - the re-download of the map data starts
  • restart Steam client

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

First a huge 👌👍 to the Devs for all the hard work.  I haven't done any combat on the map yet but am having a ball exploring.  The obligatory inverted pass under the Eiffel Tower, ditto the Tower Bridge, landing a FW-190 at Stonehenge (Dicey, but doable) and other assorted antics.  But what I haven't been able to find are the Maunsell Sea Forts.  I googled the Lat-Long and have been flying a grid over the Thames Estuary but no joy. If it makes a difference I am on the full fidelity map. As someone that lives on the U.S. West Coast and never had the pleasure of visiting England, I was hoping one of my UK Brethren could point me in the right direction.  Yup, a Yank asking a Brit to tell him where to go, take your best shot!

2 minutes ago, SuperChief141 said:

I haven't been able to find are the Maunsell Sea Forts

I've not looked on the Normandy 2 map yet but here is the location on Google maps.

Maunsell Forts
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Qb7n6NEfraNVQNKF9

You can see them from the North Kent coast near Whitstable. Incidentally, this stretch of coastline was where the bouncing bomb (dambusters) was tested. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

3 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I've not looked on the Normandy 2 map yet but here is the location on Google maps.

Maunsell Forts
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Qb7n6NEfraNVQNKF9

You can see them from the North Kent coast near Whitstable. Incidentally, this stretch of coastline was where the bouncing bomb (dambusters) was tested. 

That location is outside the high detail area of the map. More likely to be present on the Channel Map, but I've never checked.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

23 hours ago, Komet_82 said:

Can there be made an estimate by when this beautiful map will be available in the stable version? Bought it directly when it came out.

But as I'm flyin in the stable version only (don't ask why, haha), I look forward to have it there.

Are we talking about weeks or months?

Thanks

Stable release is bound to progress on multithreading, so IMHO months is more realistic than weeks. 

1 hour ago, sthompson said:

That location is outside the high detail area of the map. More likely to be present on the Channel Map, but I've never checked.

Yet that is where Normandy 2.0's Maunsell Army Forts are placed i.e. there are 3 placed in a line across the Thames estuary in the general location of where the real ones are/were.

Screen_230425_153450.jpg

Tested in DCS Open Beta Multi-thread 2.8.4.39313

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

5 hours ago, SuperChief141 said:

what I haven't been able to find are the Maunsell Sea Forts.  I googled the Lat-Long and have been flying a grid over the Thames Estuary but no joy.

As above, check out N 51° 23' 45", E 001° 02' 47", there's a line of 3 Army Forts running across the Thames estuary.

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

37 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

Yet that is where Normandy 2.0's Maunsell Army Forts are placed i.e. there are 3 placed in a line across the Thames estuary in the general location of where the real ones are/were.

Screen_230425_153450.jpg

Tested in DCS Open Beta Multi-thread 2.8.4.39313

Good find! I have to check it 😀.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

22 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yes, only Open Beta for now. It's not because of the map but because multithreading needs great polishing since it's a really complex thing.

That's not so clear. For now multithreading is an option under Openbeta, and you can run Openbeta ignoring the MT stuff. That suggests they could port over a number of the OB features (including the Normandy map) even while not including multithreading support. On the other hand, the performance improvements for me using MT are so great that I will definitely be staying on OB for now.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Found 'em!

Thanks to everyone that chimed in.  With that help, Thelma and I took the Mystery Machine straight North from Tankerton Beach and there they were.  Great help, lads.  (but that doesn't mean I won't shoot you down at the earliest opportunity........because DCS LOL)

Who's next?  Apache?  Black Shark?........................Harrier?

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

Am 25.4.2023 um 08:08 schrieb Art-J:

Remember that you can convert any existing DCS copy into the latest OB or stable. No need to uninstall and reinstall anything. Your settings, missions and whatever will be preserved as well. The updater will only download files required to change the version number.

Really? That sounds interresting. Is there a manual somewhere for that?

I would like to move DCS from C Drive (getting full) to another M.2 drive when updating to Beta. Is a reinstall recommended for that? Thanks and sorry for beeing a bit offtopic

Just can't wait to fly the Normandy 2.0

Thanks

1 hour ago, Komet_82 said:

Really? That sounds interresting. Is there a manual somewhere for that?

I would like to move DCS from C Drive (getting full) to another M.2 drive when updating to Beta. Is a reinstall recommended for that? Thanks and sorry for beeing a bit offtopic

Just can't wait to fly the Normandy 2.0

Thanks

Take a look at the official guide:

...or its "compressed" version posted by Dangerzone here:

As for the moving between the drives part, I haven't done it in years, but as long as Saved Games folder stays on the C drive as it was, the game folder can be copied anywhere really. Just don't forget to alter any related shortcuts.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.