Jump to content

MiG-17PF


dcn

Recommended Posts

I would honestly much rather the Mig-17AS which had air to air missiles and rockets and was also used in Vietnam for a bit. Sadly those can't be made because of lack of data

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

 

 

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

 

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry my friend, but MiG-17 didn't had any AAM's (except few cuban aircrafts modified locally), MiG-17AS was a middle 70's idea so she never saw any war including Vietnam war, if you will check one of my previous posts you will find drawing with all external stores types available for this variant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, foxbat155 said:

Sorry my friend, but MiG-17 didn't had any AAM's (except few cuban aircrafts modified locally), MiG-17AS was a middle 70's idea so she never saw any war including Vietnam war, if you will check one of my previous posts you will find drawing with all external stores types available for this variant.

That's kind of a moot point because the version of the AS RedStar had planned would have had the R-3S, but they cut that variant from the module.  I clearly don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of the MiG-17 variants you do but just thought I'd point out that historical or not, it was planned by the devs before they cancelled the AS.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion, if we wanna still call DCS a flight simulator, we should stick to historical realism. In reality MiG-17 didn't had R-3S, but of course module developers can hang under wings whatever they wish.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, foxbat155 said:

In reality MiG-17 didn't had R-3S

If I might ask, what missiles did the Cuban version have?  That other game gives it the R-3S and the devs were going with that as well so what did they use if it wasn't that?

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cubans had of course R-3S missiles, they didn't had access to anything else, but those missiles weren't standard feature, they did this modification locally only on a few aircrafts. Another thing is that the module is about MiG-17F ( afterburner), Cubans had MiG-17 "without letter" variant (no afterburner).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stackup said:

That other game gives it the R-3S and the devs were going with that

Even War Thunder has removed Mig-17AS from the game, it's unobtainable (unless you bought it while it was available). 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, some1 said:

Even War Thunder has removed Mig-17AS from the game, it's unobtainable (unless you bought it while it was available). 

And?  It was a Cuban version without an afterburner and had the missiles Cuba would have used and that makes it historically realistic.  It's also premium and is NOT removed, just not currently sold making it rare enough to fit the parameters of low modification count.

In either case, I'm happy we're getting the MiG-17F because that's the version used in Vietnam and I would rather use the cannons instead of knockoff AIM-9B's.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2023 at 11:41 AM, Stackup said:

just not currently sold making it rare enough to fit the parameters of low modification count.

 Since when did they give a damn about that? The sky full of Horton 229s I always dealt with implies ''production count'' was not an issue before :p

  • Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About plans for PF:

Quote

Has some plans to build a Mig-17PF version but only if the Mig-17F will be enough profitable and get all available documentation.

So fingers crossed! I don't know what a good sale means to them, but I hope it will. 😉 

  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 1:20 AM, foxbat155 said:

Cubans had of course R-3S missiles, they didn't had access to anything else, but those missiles weren't standard feature, they did this modification locally only on a few aircrafts. Another thing is that the module is about MiG-17F ( afterburner), Cubans had MiG-17 "without letter" variant (no afterburner).

Cubans also strapped R-73's to their Mig21bis. Seems like they were an enterprising lot when it came to these sorts of things. 

  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 4:59 AM, Harlikwin said:

Cubans also strapped R-73's to their Mig21bis. Seems like they were an enterprising lot when it came to these sorts of things. 

I think it makes sense. You take the airframe you have and try to fit them with the best weapons you can get.

As I understand it, the missiles are largely "stand alone". The seeker is in the missile, it just needs to provide seeker growl and lock tone to the pilot/aircraft and respond to the launch command given by the pilot pressing the button. Possibly the different missiles have different interfaces but it seems not extremely complicated to make it work.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There's plenty more than lock tone and growl, for instance you need a cage/uncage switch, something to power up the missiles (not needed with unguided bombs and rockets) and a selector to shoot one or both. Check out the R-3S implementation on the MiG-19 or the R-60 box on the Hind. Missiles need power, data (seeker growl) and control to be routed from the missile to the cockpit, in addition to the launch button. Compare that to dumb bombs, which just need an arming wire and a way to detach them from the aircraft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2023 at 8:57 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

There's plenty more than lock tone and growl, for instance you need a cage/uncage switch, something to power up the missiles (not needed with unguided bombs and rockets) and a selector to shoot one or both. Check out the R-3S implementation on the MiG-19 or the R-60 box on the Hind. Missiles need power, data (seeker growl) and control to be routed from the missile to the cockpit, in addition to the launch button. Compare that to dumb bombs, which just need an arming wire and a way to detach them from the aircraft.

Yeah missile integration is generally really misunderstood by DCS players in general. And while the seeker may be on the missile, things like performing the search pattern were typically on the plane for most of history.

  • Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...