What Do You Do During DCS Load Screens?

Rex

What Do You Do During DCS Load Screens?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do During DCS Load Screens?

• Learn to Speak Mandarin
    • Write the Great American Novel
    • Raise a Child to Adulthood
    • Search for Nicole Brown Simpson's Real Killer
    • Travel the World
    • Work to Retirement
    • Sail Across the Pacific Ocean, Solo
    • Get a College Education

DCS load screens are very helpful in that they give us time to engage in some other of life's pursuits.  

I'm just curious which ones you do?

P.S. This isn't serious, they really aren't that bad at all, I just hate load screens in general and grow impatient after 2-3 milliseconds.

Edited by Rex
  • Like 2

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pavelheer said:

Nothing, they're acceptable even if your PC isn't very powerful. Have you tried turning down preload radius? You don't need much if you have DCS installed on SSD

I'm going to bet that you are a real hit at parties.

Don't ask me how I know, I just know these things.

And BTW, I'm not sure what an SSD is, but I still save all of my programs on a cassette recorder.  It's a good one, though, Walmart said it's the fastest one they sell, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing this whole thing right!

Edited by Rex
  • Like 2

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

I usually do all my administrative paperwork, so that I don't feel too much remorse playing a "video game" the whole evening... And during the remaining time, I like to make a 1000-pieces puzzle, but sometimes I don't have time to finish it completely.

And I agree, the best cassette recorder form Walmart (the auto-reverse one) is top notch for DCS!

• Like 1

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

I just like to sit and watch all the flashing colours around the screen border and listen to the electronic sounds of all those bytes loading in off the tape. I think I'm a bit posh, because my Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2 has it's own built in cassette deck.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

10 minutes ago, gortex said:

When I switched to OpenXR all the flickering went away (Reverb G2).

It might not flicker that much but tilt your head and say it's fine. DCS starts my Oculus in OpenXR too.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I close my eyes because it flickers so hard in VR QQ

OpenXR flickers too, if maybe in a different way. But the entire game runs stuttery if you use OpenXR, and image stability is generally a bit worse (steamVr issue?), so thats not useful.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:00 AM, MAXsenna said:

I have the DCS.log running in a live log viewer so I can see what's going on.
Might change songs in Spotify with VA, or twiddle my thumbs.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I do the same.  I have my Windows box mounted from my *nix box and run and `tail -f` on the log.

• Like 1

Rex's Rig

On 6/9/2023 at 4:23 AM, Dr_Pavelheer said:

I understood your post as complaint about excessive loading times, while not exactly lightning fast they're perfectly acceptable on my PC so I offered a possible solution based on my experience

This is fair, and I appreciate your suggestion.   The problem is, if I actually use your suggestion, who's going to raise my kids?  I mean, I pretty much confine my parenting to the time it takes for DCS missions to load, and if I speed it up, they might forget what I look like.

Not that that would be the worst thing in the world, I suppose.  If you'd ever seen me, you'd know what I mean.

Edited by Rex
  • Like 1

Rex's Rig

2 hours ago, G.J.S said:

😁 Best.

Poll.

Ever.

I love how "travel the world" is at 0% at time of this posting lmao.

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 6/9/2023 at 8:17 AM, Temetre said:

OpenXR flickers too, if maybe in a different way

Flickering is part of the game/runtime, not the API. SteamVR tends to flicker.

My experience:

- SteamVR, OpenVR or OpenXR, G2: flickers
- SteamVR, OpenVR or OpenXR, Quest Pro: flickers
- WMR set as OpenXR runtime, G2: no flickers
- Oculus set as OpenXR runtime, Quest Pro: no flickers
- Old version, Oculus API, Oculus runtime, Quest 2: no flickers

Not saying this is exclusive to SteamVR, and it's not really 'fixed' - WMR and the Oculus runtime just run on frame reprojection, so the more you move your head, the worse it gets  - DCS just gives the runtime the 'what you see' view, and the runtimes are trying to create a new image just from that one, with no 3D world data.

This can only really be fixed on DCS's end and isn't really tied to what API is used. Two fixes would be:

- change the loading process to take a brief break every so often to push a new frame. The loading screens are often 10s-of-seconds-per-frame
- DCS tells OpenVR/OpenXR/Oculus/Varjo "show this to each eye"; instead, for loading screens/menus, it could say "here's a 1m x 2m rectangle. Display it at (x, y, z), rotated by (rx, ry, rz)". This would allow the runtime to correctly render any head movement, even with 10s-of-seconds-per-frame

In theory, either is sufficient, and if only one approach is taken, the second one is better. That said, only taking the second approach is still likely to 'flicker' in SteamVR, as by default SteamVR will fade in to the home environment if there hasn't been a frame for a few seconds.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

18 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

I love how "travel the world" is at 0% at time of this posting lmao.

Not surprising, really. Travelling the world is what we are waiting for on that loading screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Sketch out new button boxes ideas, watch videos about Mission Editors tricks, forget why I was watching said videos about Mission Editor, make DCS memes, chase down sub-par shipping companies that don’t deliver my whiskey and leave it on the side of the road 4 miles away (true story got to love text notifications) and then and just then the mission loads 🤣🤣🤪

• Like 2

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon