DCS Tips and hints - Community suggestions

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Dear all, 

We're exploring ways to make DCS more accessible and would like your suggestions for tips and hints displayed inside DCS.

The given advice can range from basic tips, hints, and keyboard shortcuts to lesser known features in DCS or for specific modules. Please consider these questions below when writing your answers:

'What shortcuts or best-practices save you a lot of time?'

'What did you wish you knew sooner?'

'What are the lesser known functions/features of DCS or of a module you fly?'

Please keep this thread on topic and only reply if you wish to contribute and help with suggestions. 

Thank you

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to DCS Tips and hints - Community suggestions
  • BIGNEWY pinned this topic

I think one thing that will help pilots is a basic, intermediate, and advanced aerobatic maneuver tutorial for each of the aircraft.

Another thing that could be helpful is putting in the aircraft tutorials flying the overhead break, it's a military standard.

One thing that may draw more female pilots into this wonderful simulator is female pilot voice options that we can choose.

"Keep the blue side up!"
Starscream

• Like 4

Graphics settings / tooltips

- indication of FPS impact for individual settings (i.e. RED = high, YELLOW = Medium, Green = LOW or NONE)

- Built in UI  or in game setup checkbox for MFD Export settings. (Manual LUA programming is a nightmare for most)

- Access to Special Options menu while loaded into mission/module (currently only available at main menu settings)

-Moveable / scalable UI overlay elements (controls indicator, AI menus, etc)

DCS World Web.exe (installer) / DCS_updater.exe

-How to force install to a specific Drive other than C:/ 

-How to Launch a repair 

Module Specific

-Access to module manual as an overlay like kneeboard

- Swap between Mouse camera control and Mouse cursor control - Left Alt + C

- selection wheel overlay Bindable ATC, Refueling, world interactivity commands (like jester menu) F-Keys are a pain, numbering isn't consistent 

Edited by JIGGAwest
  • Like 5

Double tips.

Read manuals, watch well-made and accurate tutorials, and make an effort to learn. If you are unwilling to do any of this, it makes your life in the pit so much harder.

Buy the modules that you are interested in using and learning, but always do your research so that you don’t run into buyers remorse.

Stay safe!

• Like 3

• ED Team

please note this is not a wish list thread. It is for tips that could show in game for new users. 

thanks

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

A reminder for the trial system

The tip about using a gamepad in the CPG of the Apache

You can find official manuals inside the game files, and on the eagle dynamics website. 

Various shoutouts to popular communities like TDCS, Hoggit, Wingman Finder

Press \ to open the communication menu 

You can save space by uninstalling unneeded modules in the module manager

Check out the Special Options for module specific customisation 

• Like 2

"You can save a custom view by enabling user-custom-views in the gameplay options and the pressing Rctrl+Num0 to save your current view as default (enter)"

"You can adjust your view with the (AltGr)+(Shift)+(RCtrl)-Numpad-keys"

"You can accelerare and decelerate time by pressing ctrl+z and ...., return to normal time by pressing ..."

"You can start an Auto-start sequence by pressing ...."

Things along those lines wouldn't hurt as random quick-tips during loading screens.

Edit:

"You can use the comm-menu either by using the F-keys or clicking on the items with the mouse"

"It may be neccessary to a) open canopy or b) activate a radio in order to speak to the groundcrew"

"If Aircraft seem stuck at parking, ask the ground crew to remove wheel chocks"

"You can set up some Aircraft specific features in the Special Options tab"

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 5

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

31 minutes ago, JIGGAwest said:

Graphics settings / tooltips

- indication of FPS impact for individual settings (i.e. RED = high, YELLOW = Medium, Green = LOW or NONE)

- Built in UI  or in game setup checkbox for MFD Export settings. (Manual LUA programming is a nightmare for most)

- Access to Special Options menu while loaded into mission/module (currently only available at main menu settings)

-Moveable / scalable UI overlay elements (controls indicator, AI menus, etc)

DCS World Web.exe (installer) / DCS_updater.exe

-How to force install to a specific Drive other than C:/ 

-How to Launch a repair 

Module Specific

-Access to module manual as an overlay like kneeboard

- Swap between Mouse camera control and Mouse cursor control - Left Alt + C

- selection wheel overlay Bindable ATC, Refueling, world interactivity commands (like jester menu) F-Keys are a pain, numbering isn't consistent 

the graphics settings one already exists if you hover over them

7 minutes ago, morfio said:

the graphics settings one already exists if you hover over them

True, but they leave something to be desired if you ask me.

On Topic:

Perhaps introduce a hotkey that displays a transparent overlay with the most important default keyboard controls. (next tier, make it reference the actual modified keybindings if applied)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Introduce some low level flight exercises for every Aircraft. With some augmentation like fly through gates to follow a landing pattern (Already exist for some Aircraft IIRC but are not standard for all)

Lessons should include

- Take off (incl. best climb performance)

- Landing (incl. overhead break and terminology like downwind, base turn, final etc.)

- Level Turns.....

(Basic flight school stuff - don't know - never went through fly school... 😅)

Edited by Hiob

A first-time-setup on top of the current system could be nice.

Im thinking of a dialogue that asks "What button would you like to use to toggle gear?", or "Input pitch axis" etc.

These values could then be assigned as the new defaults to the two free modules, and any future downloaded modules. 

It wouldnt be perfect, but it would definitely be a lot smoother than the rough defaults we have now, and would help new players remember the basic controls easier, as theyre the ones who have assigned them.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, GenericUser said:

A first-time-setup on top of the current system could be nice.

Im thinking of a dialogue that asks "What button would you like to use to toggle gear?", or "Input pitch axis" etc.

These values could then be assigned as the new defaults to the two free modules, and any future downloaded modules. 

It wouldnt be perfect, but it would definitely be a lot smoother than the rough defaults we have now, and would help new players remember the basic controls easier, as theyre the ones who have assigned them.

To build on that. In general it would be nice if certain (basic) controls would be defaulted to all aircraft (at least as an option).

• Like 2

That manuals exists, and where to find them. Chuck's guides are also neat.
Skatezilla's GUI updater/Launcher
Quaggles injector + Munkwolf's keybinds.
Special settings per module
Some options can be changed in game
VoiceAttack + VAICOM (latter now free)
Mod Managers and how to use them
Learn radios, and skip easy comms
How awesome this community is, if you ask!

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

When a new user launches the game, have that News flag point them towards the free two week trial offer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

There are so many abbreviations in the game. I think a list of ALL meanings would be of great help.

If I were new hear and read for example "TDC" , it would be nice to have the full text in a complete list.

• Like 2

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

31 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

That manuals exists, and where to find them.

- Maybe integrate an PDF-Reader and link directly to the manual in the docs folder.

- Make the Manual accessible through the Kneeboard.

• Like 1

- a wizard that helps to set up the basic controls for an individual plane  (like mount the axis, gears, flaps, airbrakes etc.)

- advertise the possibility to use "shift"-buttons on a joystick. Very helpful if you have limited number of buttons on your joystick

- a tip that most planes have tutorials in "trainings" that help you learn to handle it (it took me quite some time to find this back in the days)

- an easier way to just hop in any plane and train ground attacks. Mission editor is not that easy for a newbie

Okay some of these are indeed wishes, but they would certainly help newcomers. I am currently mentoring one, so I know what he is missing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

'What shortcuts or best-practices save you a lot of time?'

* Use the backup folder in the DCS main folder to replace all files that were changed from defaults (things like changed instant action missions, modded files, etc.) These files all get reverted to default every time a patch hits.

* Use the skatezilla launcher app to do things like launch in VR or not VR, delete FXO and metashaders after patch or driver update, etc.

* Have fun first. Crawl walk run is no fun if you force yourself to crawl through freezing mud. If the crawl phase for you consists of throwing CBU-97 at stationary tanks, that is *fine*.

* Speaking of back-ups, your control settings are not in the DCS folder, but in /users/-you-/saved games/DCS/Config/Input/ . Make a backup of that if you ever decide to change computers, nuke your OS or whatever.

'What did you wish you knew sooner?'

* How good the training missions can be. Not all modules have great ones, but most do.

* Multiplayer ain't half as scary as it's made out to be.

'What are the lesser known functions/features of DCS or of a module you fly?'

* Default labels are a mess. Big bright lines of text that become a mess real easily. Use symbol or dot labels if you find spotting too hard (I know I do).

• Like 1

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

• ED Team

keep the tips coming folks. 

please only post tips and hints here, not wishes. 

thanks

• Like 1

Get Voice Attack!  

Voice command software. Best and cheapest way to keep your eyes on the screen and off the keyboard. Great for people without fancy expensive HOTAS setups with 100 buttons and switches.

Inexpensive, downloadable, easy to use, immersive, effective, intuitive, customizable, and fun. 

Best $10 you can spend on DCS. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

For 2D players exclusive full screen can improve the smoothness (not the fps) of graphics for some especially in fast moving scenes and objects.. Once upon a time Alt Enter would do this but for some reason ED never made clear,  not anymore. 

A workaround is to:

1) Disable "Full Screen Optimisations" in the compatability tab of the launcher desktop shortcut

2) Copy the following into the autoexec.cfg file:

dx11backend =
{
    flipMode = false,
}

This renables the feature in the non MT version without having to do anything else. The game should launch in exclusive full screen

For the MT version do the same but ensure that you click into the DCS loading screen prior to the game booting into full screen or the graphics will lock. 

Alt Tab doesnt play well with this sadly. 

To check, adjust the windows sound (mosy keyboards have volume keys) - if the sound bar shows up, you aint in exclusive full screen. If it doesnt---you are. 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.